Translation plz

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Imnotasiain
Expatriate
Australia

Translation plz

Post by Imnotasiain »

I've been learning a decent amount of Khmer speaking. I know 0 when it comes to spelling so bare with me.
The word sounds like 'co. - ick'.
Generally used when someone is acting up or doing things their way instead of the way they were asked to do.
I understand the way to use the word in a sentence but lack any idea as to what the word is translated into.
Thanks in advance for your help
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Translation plz

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Maybe "koyt"? Hard to tell from your romanization, can you use it in a sentence?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:31 pm Maybe "koyt"?
I think you're on to it.

I always thought it sounded like our pronunciation of the word "coat".

Means an 'obstinate' person or like the OP describes. I've only heard it used in regard to children.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

ខូច literally translates as 'broken'. But Brody's translation sounds about right. Like a naughty boy. ខូច
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah, it's also fairly often used with head, as in "kbal koyt" (which is a bit more endearing). Not just for children though, as I've been called that a few times myself... :-/

As mentioned, naughty or obstinate would be the best translations. Could also mean cunning/sly depending on the context.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Depends on the noun it is attributed to. A taxi driver told me once there were “srey koik” (prostitutes) in a certain hotel. This information i already had but didn’t know this word could be used to define a woman. Likely there are many other uses for this word.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:59 pm ខូច literally translates as 'broken'. But Brody's translation sounds about right. Like a naughty boy. ខូច
koij literally translates as 'broken'.

If the widow is broken, you would say koij. If the TV is broken, you would say koij.

A prostitute is srai koij, which is broken female.

I was at a shop when a girl came and stole from the shop. They said she was koij. (She is not srai koij, as she is not a prostitute.)
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

little late to the party but yeah UT and the others are on point! :good:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic