Well done Europe! First craft to ever be landed ON a comet.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Well done Europe! First craft to ever be landed ON a comet.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/hi ... ay-n246671
The European Space Agency's Philae lander made an unprecedented touchdown on the surface of a comet Wednesday — marking the high point of a $1.3 billion, 10-year mission.

Cheers erupted as the confirming signals were received at the European Space Operations Center in Darmstadt, Germany, at 11:03 a.m. ET. The signals took 28 minutes to travel at the speed of light over the 317 million miles (510 million kilometers) between Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko and Earth.

"It is sitting on the surface," reported Stefan Ulamec, Philae lander manager at the DLR German Aerospace Center. "Philae is talking to us — we are on the comet!"
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
NokTang
Expatriate

Re: Well done Europe! First craft to ever be landed ON a co

Post by NokTang »

On other news stories, I read "6 billion kilometers" as the length of the trip. Above says again what I've also read, 317 miles away. Does anyone know how far it is and/or why the differences in this reporting? I assume it took a fairly straight line flight to the comet after a couple loops around earth and mars to gain speed? All very interesting and historic, however it still just looks like a big rock in space to me. (I should note, I'm a believer in creation by god, not evolution from comets striking the earth)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic