Snowy's gone

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Snowy's gone

Post by Born-Confused »

Aww this is sad news - Snowy packed up one of the best bars/hangout places in PP about 3 years ago - and now just heard that he has checked out of this world....
RIP Ian "Snowy" Woodford! :beer:

http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/cambodi ... -to-close/
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Snowy's gone

Post by dagenham »

I've never been to a better bar in my whole life. Period. Double Period. I took the ferry almost daily at 6:00 to have a sundowner drink for several years. I knew Ian well and helped him mount his 1st art exhibition at the Le Royal years ago.

He was a sincere and warm bloke. He liked his drink and was a wonderful teller of stories. His personal scrapbook from the early 90's was amazing! As I write this, framed elaborately above my bed, is what I considered his best artwork ever. I loved him and his artwork and his bar...and his daughter Maxine was tres cool as well...thankfully I documented him and that bar with many photographs...the memory of that bar and Ian himself shall live on!
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Yes heard the sad news as well.
Apparently he passed away last Friday in Australia following a surgery.
RIP Snow and I hope you set up another nice little underground bar with live events for us to come and visit you when the time comes.
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Born-Confused »

dagenham wrote:I've never been to a better bar in my whole life. Period. Double Period. I took the ferry almost daily at 6:00 to have a sundowner drink for several years. I knew Ian well and helped him mount his 1st art exhibition at the Le Royal years ago.

He was a sincere and warm bloke. He liked his drink and was a wonderful teller of stories. His personal scrapbook from the early 90's was amazing! As I write this, framed elaborately above my bed, is what I considered his best artwork ever. I loved him and his artwork and his bar...and his daughter Maxine was tres cool as well...thankfully I documented him and that bar with many photographs...the memory of that bar and Ian himself shall live on!
Excellent summation! --- +1
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

CHEERS SNOW!! RIP

kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Fuck.

RIP Snow.

You ran the best bar in Phnom Penh. When I first arrived Maxine's was a must go every Friday night. Snow was a top guy and we would sit and listen to music and talk for hours.

Whenever I had friends and family in town Snow's was always a must see and everyone wanted to go back time and time again.

The world has lost one of the good guys and Phnom Penh has lost a legend.

You will never be forgotten.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Damn shame. I never went to the Green Resort (or whatever it's called), his bar's reincarnation in Kampot, but I heard it was doing well.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

photos of Snow and bar...

Post by dagenham »

Last edited by dagenham on Mon May 26, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

:( RIP Snowy.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

RIP
when i lived on the "other side" in 2008-09 i often went down to sit for a smoke and drink with him.
sad to hear but am glad he got Maxine down to Oz

He was one of the good guys in PP of old
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic