fixed term deposit question....

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

fixed term deposit question....

Post by wolfcreek »

On a 24 (or 36) month fixed term deposit is the tax taken out of the interest at the end of each year, or is it only taken out at the very end (the maturity date)? Anyone know?
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: fixed term deposit question....

Post by Pizzalover »

If you do a deposit of more than 12 months, go for monthly interest withdrawal. Your tax is withheld from each monthly payment.

If you go for payment at the end of the term (24/36 months), you wont get any compound interest. In other words, you will get considerably less interest as compared to monthly withdrawal. Tax will be withheld at the end of the term when you will receive your single interest payment together with your principal.

All MFIs and banks are very quiet about this and their websites are mildly misleading.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

why 24/36?
Prasac pays the same interest on 12/24/36
7.75%

https://www.prasac.com.kh/en/services/d ... it-account
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

Pizzalover,

I have always done 12 month fixed deposits with an automatic rollover of the principal and interest into a new 12 month deposit. So that interest should be compounding. Am I missing something?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

wolfcreek wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:39 pm On a 24 (or 36) month fixed term deposit is the tax taken out of the interest at the end of each year, or is it only taken out at the very end (the maturity date)? Anyone know?
Once a year. They won't allow you to make money with money belonging to the Competent Authorities.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

Pizzalover wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:57 pm If you do a deposit of more than 12 months, go for monthly interest withdrawal. Your tax is withheld from each monthly payment.

If you go for payment at the end of the term (24/36 months), you wont get any compound interest. In other words, you will get considerably less interest as compared to monthly withdrawal. Tax will be withheld at the end of the term when you will receive your single interest payment together with your principal.

All MFIs and banks are very quiet about this and their websites are mildly misleading.
Pizzalover, do you know this for a fact? If so, how much difference does it make if the MFI isn't compounding the interest? Thanks...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Pizzalover wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:57 pm If you do a deposit of more than 12 months, go for monthly interest withdrawal. Your tax is withheld from each monthly payment.

Monthly interest payments have lower interest rate than yearly payments. Usually about 0.5%.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Most term deposit in Cambodia that are longer than 12 months you miss out on the compounding interest but most longer terms have higher rates
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I took a 36 with Prasac 3 years ago at 8.4% interest and assumed it would be compounded annually. I already figured the interest. When the girl came out and have me my certificate, the interest was a bit less than I had figured. When I asked her about it she said they use simple interest. Ok, my fault for assuming. The 8.4% interest conveniently worked out to 8% interest over 3 years. If you think rates are going to stay the same for years to come, it's better to do annual certificates and roll over the principal and interest on an annual basis as some people have already recommended.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic