Retirees, And The Lack Of Anything Meaningful

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: Retirees, And The Lack Of Anything Meaningful

Post by whatwat »

Duncan wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:41 am
whatwat wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:20 am
Duncan wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:29 pm Yep,, retired and nothing meaningful to do, so I made breakfast for two of the girls that stayed with me in PP, then took them to buy a pair of shoes each, then took them back home to Takhmau, where I washed the sheets on their beds, then their towels, next on the list was their school clothes,,, while their mother slept. Probably a continuation from what she has done for the last three days.

I think I may need a work permit.
Does their mother live with you as well?
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, Never. I may be old but I'm not stupid.
I’d rather live with an adult than two female teens. You must be mad.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

whatwat wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:16 am
Duncan wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:41 am
whatwat wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:20 am
Duncan wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:29 pm Yep,, retired and nothing meaningful to do, so I made breakfast for two of the girls that stayed with me in PP, then took them to buy a pair of shoes each, then took them back home to Takhmau, where I washed the sheets on their beds, then their towels, next on the list was their school clothes,,, while their mother slept. Probably a continuation from what she has done for the last three days.

I think I may need a work permit.
Does their mother live with you as well?
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, Never. I may be old but I'm not stupid.
I’d rather live with an adult than two female teens. You must be mad.
8 , 11, and 18 years old at Takhmau mostly weekends only, and their 20 year old sister lives with me in PP. I'm beginning to enjoy the peace and quiet now while I'm locked up in OZ.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I retired in Cambodia for years and did bugger all and got bored. Now I am on the pension in Australia, look after the two kids, enjoy the pretty young wife. Eat Asian food and have sunshine every day. I have very few possessions but I do have a sports car. Go driving to the beach and the rain forest, go fishing and crabbing. Manage an apartment block and do gardening and cleaning and maintenance work there. Occasionally do up a neighbours kitchen and bathroom as I am doing at the moment.
Occasionally I consider coming back to Cambodia but I couldn’t do nothing again. I would like a small hotel in Siem Riep but I’ll probably be dead before then.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Getting bored the great retirement dilemma, but it still beats working
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

atst wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:41 pm Getting bored the great retirement dilemma, but it still beats working
I found I'm just as busy since I retired. The difference being that now I'm busy doing stuff I wanna do whereas before I was busy doing stuff I had to do for a living aka job.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I am sitting here, watching a man, who is watching his cows. :bigeyes:

Not sure what the meaning is, but I don't think it matters much.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

The virus has been great for us although the home schooling was a drag. No one is working and the bars and nightclubs are shut and there are no tourists. So the missus has nothing to do except good things. Fishing for crabs nearly every day with Khmer and Thai girlfriends. She brings home several crabs every day and some big Pacific oysters. Maybe a $150 worth of crabs every day for $6 in squid bait. And the beaches they fish at are really beautiful.
And the cash from the government! She wasn’t eligible for the dole until 2023 despite being a permanent resident. But the rules changed for the virus and the dole doubled in value. I drive an Uber but there was no work so despite being a pensioner and earning $20,000 a year as a caretaker I get JobKeeper.
She also gets the family tax benefit and we get $160 a fortnight rent subsidy. That’s over $600 a fortnight.
So the first payment week of JobSeeker and JobKeeper we got $6600! Now she gets $1056 a fortnight plus over $600 family tax benefit! And I get the old age pension of about $650 a fortnight and $3000 a month JobKeeper plus my $2000 a month caretaking salary.
The money is just flowing in. She has saved $4000 recently and me $5000. This virus has been great for us! And three months of payments to come, or maybe longer!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

willyhilly wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:29 pm The virus has been great for us although the home schooling was a drag. No one is working and the bars and nightclubs are shut and there are no tourists. So the missus has nothing to do except good things. Fishing for crabs nearly every day with Khmer and Thai girlfriends. She brings home several crabs every day and some big Pacific oysters. Maybe a $150 worth of crabs every day for $6 in squid bait. And the beaches they fish at are really beautiful.
And the cash from the government! She wasn’t eligible for the dole until 2023 despite being a permanent resident. But the rules changed for the virus and the dole doubled in value. I drive an Uber but there was no work so despite being a pensioner and earning $20,000 a year as a caretaker I get JobKeeper.
She also gets the family tax benefit and we get $160 a fortnight rent subsidy. That’s over $600 a fortnight.
So the first payment week of JobSeeker and JobKeeper we got $6600! Now she gets $1056 a fortnight plus over $600 family tax benefit! And I get the old age pension of about $650 a fortnight and $3000 a month JobKeeper plus my $2000 a month caretaking salary.
The money is just flowing in. She has saved $4000 recently and me $5000. This virus has been great for us! And three months of payments to come, or maybe longer!

Has she told you about that cheap block of land back in her village yet ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Depends on the person. It's up to them how they spend their retirement and how meaningful they make it. Maybe they don't care and just want to do nothing.
Then again those that say there's nothing to do probably need to findo some interests or consider other Countries and Culture that are more suitable for their needs.
Cambodia isn't for everyone.
oldfatbarang
Expatriate

Post by oldfatbarang »

Almost all expats who retire in Asia do it because of the lower cost of living and the availability of women who don't care how old or out of shape they are as long as they pay.You can't blame a guy for wanting to enjoy what is left of his life.However quite a few are living on a small retirement income that only allows them to live on a modest budget.I retired in Asia at the age of 37 but worked when ever I could find a decent paying job.I am now totally retired and live in America.I have a Cambodian wife and we have a beautiful home and really lovely property here but are thinking of heading back to Asia as America is very divided politically and we are a bit worried that sooner or later the country will have a civil war.The cost of living seems to go up and up every year and it is starting to make us think that crime is going to keep getting worse as the cost of living increases.It is unsafe for an attractive woman here in the U.S. My wife has had to deal with several unpleasant incidents here in the U.S. A guy grabbed her and tried to drag her away as she was entering a convenience store while I was putting fuel in my pickup truck.I heard her yell and looked over to where she was and saw a guy run away.Three guys who were sitting a car got out and ran toward her to help her so the guy ran away.i went inito a hardware store and my wife did not want to go in so she said I will wait out here and she waited for me in front of the store,When I came back out I saw her surrounded by a group if Latino migrants,she had a cannister of pepper spray in her hand and was prepared to use it if any of them tried to grab her.She has had a few more incidents like that since she has lived here in the U.S.She is in her 50's now but she exercises regularly and stays fit and is still very attractive so I am careful not to put her in a situation that might put her at risk.It is a shame that this country has become so unsafe.Cambodia is a safer place to live then than America and people are nicer.I think that more and more Americans will be heading out of the U.S. when they retire as inflation makes it harder to retire here.Panama has already stopped allowing American expats to head down there to retire as they were getting more than they wanted.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic