Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by glennb6 »

Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I always thought it was going to be interesting to see how the junta and their vested interests manage the reopening of the country to their preferrred economic incomers, and the extent of the double standards they apply compared to the conditions they have kept their own citizens under for the last few months. Immediate talk of the chosen 1,000 a day, ( why am I not surprised at a VIP fast track channel being established for highest bidders as a first move), avoiding a 14 day quarantine unlike returning Thais is just staggering for starters. No wonder there is some strong opposition from somewhere within, someone must realise the potential backlash from the public.

Does a 3,000 baht travel voucher for a long weekend for those that can afford the prospect of a holiday seem completely out of proportion to the 5,000 baht a month for those that have been out of work during this crisis and who managed to successfuly meet the govt criteria, many were refused.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

A little personal story that didn't make the press. My local bar restaurant was serving alcohol for the first time tonight, so I went round and sat with a fellow regular who is 78 years old. I got the inside track on his and 3 friends lunchtime arrest in the bar about a month previous. I was planning to attend but missed it due to a hospital emergency of one of my close friends at the same time. Their crime was standing at a table not far enough apart from each other, and the punishment for the "Gang of Four" with a combined age of over 300 years was a night in the cells of the police station and a cash payment the following day of 45,000 baht each negotiated down from 100,000 baht. The matter is still pending court wise.

Unsurprisingly given his experience he is giving serious thought as to whether he wants to remain in the country or leave for good when able to do so.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bubble ??
Thailand’s potential travel bubbles would likely include South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan, even Singapore (which has had a sudden spike in migrant labour Covid-19 cases but has otherwise largely controlled its community transmission). Beyond the region, Australia and New Zealand are also low-risk candidates for early international travel back to Thailand.

It is also understood that the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand will not extend the international travel ban after it expires and leave the CCSA, empowered by the emergency decree, to decide who will be able to enter Thailand and under what sort of restrictions. All things considered, it is unlikely that any of these bubbles will be in place before August.

Even when the travel bubbles are created, they will certainly be accompanied by restrictions. A “fit to fly” certificate as well as a ‘clear’ medical certificate, less than 72 hours before the flight. It is also likely that medical insurance with US$100,000 cover will be required, although medical insurance covering Covid-19 is difficult to find, or expensive.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism ... l-quandary

With the above restrictions i don't for see any tourists traveling here. Surely not enough to justfy the many many tourist based hotels in Phuket, Pattaya, Samui opening

Lets see what happens in Sept
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:38 pm A little personal story that didn't make the press. My local bar restaurant was serving alcohol for the first time tonight, so I went round and sat with a fellow regular who is 78 years old. I got the inside track on his and 3 friends lunchtime arrest in the bar about a month previous. I was planning to attend but missed it due to a hospital emergency of one of my close friends at the same time. Their crime was standing at a table not far enough apart from each other, and the punishment for the "Gang of Four" with a combined age of over 300 years was a night in the cells of the police station and a cash payment the following day of 45,000 baht each negotiated down from 100,000 baht. The matter is still pending court wise.

Unsurprisingly given his experience he is giving serious thought as to whether he wants to remain in the country or leave for good when able to do so.
Since PRichard shared his thoughts in his upvote, I will reply to that. It's not about having a "fucking drink." It's about having a laugh and a chat about nothing in particular, which is part of that funny thing humans absolutely need to do, which is socializing, having human contact, getting out of the apartment prison cell after 3 months. Twice a week shopping missions are hardly a substitute for relaxing with other like minded folks to stir the brain and the soul.

Generally speaking, I really REALLY enjoyed my first pint of draft beer last night in Sukhumvit soi 33/1 and a night out with old friends and new. The three pubs in the street, which all have wide-open frontages, were rammed full. So many happy people and so many deliriously happy bar staff. It was one of the best nights I've spent out because of the joyous mood. And I don't particularly like going to these pubs because I prefer the night markets.

However, fresh, cold draft beers are a thing of beauty, especially when you haven't had one in months.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ok, i get all that, drinking with buddies, "sharing a drink called loneliness, cause its better than drinking alone", if thats ur thing.
I dont recall anywhere in thailand that anyone was confined/quarantined in their homes/apts, unlike in China

A month ago restaurants were closed, Except for take away... we all knew that
So they met in a bar/restaurant that was serving drinks illegally, allowing customers to sit, an knowing the way the police operate, it was asking for trouble

Hey, nothing against them, i was swimming for weeks before the ban was lifted, but i would hardly complain if they had nabbed / fined me cause i was, I took my chances...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Mid-May, restaurants had reopened the Monday before for dine in without alcohol which these guys were observing. However they were sitting outside on the balcony together around a high table which is above and visible to the main street down to Jomtien beach. The only guy to escape who was with them saw the police entering from the street below and had the foresight to nip round the corner of the balcony and sit at an empty table before they reached them. He told me he was uncomfortable with the seating arrangement when he arrived. He buried his head in a menu and when the fuzz came around he said he'd just arrived and was about to order, was that okay. :D. It was a 70th birthday lunch meet up, I came in 30 minutes after it happened looking for the escapee regarding the immediate problem I was having to deal with.

I agree with Richard to the extent that in the uncertainty of that time having a visible gathering of 5 people and not practicing social distancing was unwise, my normal rule of avoiding a situation where you give the police the opportunity to extort you was in play for me.

I struggle to equate their situation and treatment, other than the kbviojs of the clientele and venue ownership, with the Jomtien Night Market set up which for the past 3 weeks was openly selling alcohol to customers who were drinking it in full view of the police in the middle of Jomtien beach road in broad daylight. They were closed down a week ago for alcohol but no arrests made and reopened again last night for alcohol.

Drove around town 4ish yesterday and today, people sitting in restaurants in open view drinking beer which I would say is unwise, between 2-5 being prohibited.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:51 am Since PRichard shared his thoughts in his upvote, I will reply to that. It's not about having a "fucking drink." It's about having a laugh and a chat about nothing in particular, which is part of that funny thing humans absolutely need to do, which is socializing, having human contact, getting out of the apartment prison cell after 3 months. Twice a week shopping missions are hardly a substitute for relaxing with other like minded folks to stir the brain and the soul.

Generally speaking, I really REALLY enjoyed my first pint of draft beer last night in Sukhumvit soi 33/1 and a night out with old friends and new. The three pubs in the street, which all have wide-open frontages, were rammed full. So many happy people and so many deliriously happy bar staff. It was one of the best nights I've spent out because of the joyous mood. And I don't particularly like going to these pubs because I prefer the night markets.

However, fresh, cold draft beers are a thing of beauty, especially when you haven't had one in months.
Totally agree with you, I hadn't realised how much not having a normal social outlet affected me and others. It's about healthy conversation, discussion, debates and laughs as opposed to getting completely shit faced.

Good to hear you had an enjoyable night out in an old stomping ground of mine, some good memories of nights out in that street in my younger days.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:44 pm Mid-May, restaurants had reopened the Monday before for dine in without alcohol which these guys were observing. However they were sitting outside on the balcony together around a high table which is above and visible to the main street down to Jomtien beach. The only guy to escape who was with them saw the police entering from the street below and had the foresight to nip round the corner of the balcony and sit at an empty table before they reached them. He told me he was uncomfortable with the seating arrangement when he arrived. He buried his head in a menu and when the fuzz came around he said he'd just arrived and was about to order, was that okay. :D. It was a 70th birthday lunch meet up, I came in 30 minutes after it happened looking for the escapee regarding the immediate problem I was having to deal with.

I agree with Richard to the extent that in the uncertainty of that time having a visible gathering of 5 people and not practicing social distancing was unwise, my normal rule of avoiding a situation where you give the police the opportunity to extort you was in play for me.

I struggle to equate their situation and treatment, other than the kbviojs of the clientele and venue ownership, with the Jomtien Night Market set up which for the past 3 weeks was openly selling alcohol to customers who were drinking it in full view of the police in the middle of Jomtien beach road in broad daylight. They were closed down a week ago for alcohol but no arrests made and reopened again last night for alcohol.

Drove around town 4ish yesterday and today, people sitting in restaurants in open view drinking beer which I would say is unwise, between 2-5 being prohibited.
Agree with you and PRichard. Openly flouting the gathering rules makes cops drool with anticipation for the day's big killing. It was stupid. And Pattaya is an easy place for cops to extort anyone, anytime.

In Bangkok, I went to a certain bar off soi 33 three or four times known for its consistent practices, no matter the laws. The last time, on a Saturday, there were so many people at our normally four-place standup, I left early because I felt too exposed, right in the front window!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

yep, lets delay tourism another few weeks and see if other countries in the region open and experience a 2nd wave.
As long as the government allows all business to reopen and no curfew, they can resume charging interest, charging rent, no pay outs for Social security to locals. etc etc
YET no people spending $$
Commercial international flights may have to wait a little longer to get back in the air. Scheduled international flights in and out of Thailand were geared to take off by July 1, but aviation authorities are wary about opening the country back up again. They say, if anything, those traveling for business will be the first group allowed to enter and travel overseas.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand also plans to create so-called “travel bubbles” allowing a limited number of foreigners from low-risk countries to enter Thailand and visit select destinations. International tourism could be back in action by August.

Chief executive of Thai AirAsia, TAA, says the airline will be ready for international travel once those travel bubbles are in place. Domestic travel is already kicking back up. Just yesterday, the airline resumed 4 Bangkok-Phuket flights per day.
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/not- ... e-extended
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic