Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:02 pm wow;

Survey says… most Thais prefer to keep foreigners out, for now
“The local respondents showed little interest in visiting the more popular foreign tourist magnets of Pattaya and Phuket.”

A recent Suan Dusit Poll asked Thais whether they wanted foreign tourists visiting Thailand soon. 75.7% said “no”. 54.4% said they would prefer the Thai people to tour their own country first before heading overseas. 21.3% say they are afraid foreign visitors would spark a second wave of Covid-19.

The Suan Dusit Poll was conducted between June 9-12 on 1,116 people throughout the country on issues ranging from the easing of restrictions, domestic tourism and the possible re-opening of the country’s borders.

“When do you think Thailand’s tourism would return to normal after the Covid-19 situation is resolved?”

41.4% responded “in one year”, 25.9% said “six months”, 20.5% said “two years”, and 12.2% thought it would take “more than two years”. Only 24.3% say they want foreign tourists to come soon
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/surv ... ut-for-now
Hardly surprising to my mind as it's common knowledge that Thais are basically xenophobic. And that was before the wuhan virus...now, they are even more so given they are worried farangs will bring it in. Tolerating farangs for the $$$ they bring in doesn't seem to override those basic prejudices and fears quite yet.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

“The local respondents showed little interest in visiting the more popular foreign tourist magnets of Pattaya and Phuket.”

A recent Suan Dusit Poll asked Thais whether they wanted foreign tourists visiting Thailand soon. 75.7% said “no”. 54.4% said they would prefer the Thai people to tour their own country first before heading overseas. 21.3% say they are afraid foreign visitors would spark a second wave of Covid-19.

The Suan Dusit Poll was conducted between June 9-12 on 1,116 people throughout the country on issues ranging from the easing of restrictions, domestic tourism and the possible re-opening of the country’s borders.

“When do you think Thailand’s tourism would return to normal after the Covid-19 situation is resolved?”

41.4% responded “in one year”, 25.9% said “six months”, 20.5% said “two years”, and 12.2% thought it would take “more than two years”. Only 24.3% say they want foreign tourists to come soon
But that does mean nearly 80% of Thais are not fearful of Foreigners causing a second wave of Covid-19. That's very high.

As for the 75% who said "no" to foreigners visiting soon, which statically must include many of those who are not fearful of a foreigner-caused second wave, I wonder what their problem is with a return of foreigners? I bet they didn't ask many of the fine ladies in and around Soi 6, Pattaya.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Drove into Patong today for a meal at Fugi and shopping at big C in Jung ceylon, like a ghost town. Cant see how any open shops are able to pay rent
Driving down 2nd and beach road 80% of shops closed, most hotels closed. Soi Bangla ..closed>

its eerie...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I'm sure the luxury for those not wanting foreign tourists to return is down to the employment sector they work in. I would have thought those from the poorer regions of the north/north east make up a higher percentage of those employed in the tourist service sector, maybe lower paying jobs. Given that, perhaps it also points to the divide within the country and the rascism and lack of concern
by the wealthier urbanites to the economic hardship their up-country cousins will be suffering.

Saying that, walking along the beach and seeing the place so busy with Thai families, much busier than normal for the time of year, I did find myself thinking if they were more comfortable enjoying the place now without being surrounded by the sleaze that comes with the foreign tourist market here in Pattaya. I wouldn't blame them to be honest.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:13 pm I'm sure the luxury for those not wanting foreign tourists to return is down to the employment sector they work in. I would have thought those from the poorer regions of the north/north east make up a higher percentage of those employed in the tourist service sector, maybe lower paying jobs. Given that, perhaps it also points to the divide within the country and the rascism and lack of concern
by the wealthier urbanites to the economic hardship their up-country cousins will be suffering.
Right on. They must have interviewed the have-so's. They certainly didn't include the villagers and bar owners and taxi drivers and clothing kiosk girls and minibus drivers in this poll. Which I would give a margin of bullshit error of plus or minus 25%.
[/quote]
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:24 pm

Hardly surprising to my mind as it's common knowledge that Thais are basically xenophobic. And that was before the wuhan virus...now, they are even more so given they are worried farangs will bring it in. Tolerating farangs for the $$$ they bring in doesn't seem to override those basic prejudices and fears quite yet.
Living in both countries long time, I often asked myzelf: Who is more xenofobic? Thais or Khmer. I mean the "normal" people. Government we know the answer.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:13 pm I'm sure the luxury for those not wanting foreign tourists to return is down to the employment sector they work in. I would have thought those from the poorer regions of the north/north east make up a higher percentage of those employed in the tourist service sector, maybe lower paying jobs. Given that, perhaps it also points to the divide within the country and the rascism and lack of concern

Saying that, walking along the beach and seeing the place so busy with Thai families, much busier than normal for the time of year, I did find myself thinking if they were more comfortable enjoying the place now without being surrounded by the sleaze that comes with the foreign tourist market here in Pattaya. I wouldn't blame them to be honest.
Where are these Thai families on the beach????? At least Pattaya beach consists of 70% "girls", the rest their( pimping) "friends" and maybe 10% Thai-families........
Jomtien different story!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

alexvanlaar wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:25 pm

Where are these Thai families on the beach????? At least Pattaya beach consists of 70% "girls", the rest their( pimping) "friends" and maybe 10% Thai-families........
Jomtien different story!
Yes just to clarify I was referring to Jomtien beach.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Foreigners to be allowed in

'Travel bubbles' tipped for approval
PUBLISHED : 15 JUN 2020 AT 04:30

An expressway interchange, photographed from Baiyoke Tower II Sunday night, shows light traffic. Busy traffic is set to return after the night-time curfew was lifted from 11pm Sunday. The lifting of the curfew was published in the 'Royal Gazette'. Arnun Chonmahatrakool

One thousand foreign visitors are expected to be allowed entry to Thailand per day and the standard 14-day Covid-19 quarantine rule will be waived, according to an implementation plan for "travel bubbles" to be submitted for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA)'s approval on Wednesday.

These visitors, who in the beginning will be mostly business people and patients seeking medical treatment in Thailand, must come as part of bilateral cooperation on tourism between Thailand and selected countries which have managed to contain the coronavirus, Traisuree Taisaranakul, deputy government spokeswoman, said on Sunday.

General foreign tourists will later be allowed to visit Thailand if the tourism promotion programme proves successful in terms of the transmission control, she said.

Covid-19 screening tests will be required both before the visitors leave their countries and upon arriving in Thailand, she said.

This, however, doesn't meant the visitors will be able to travel freely while in Thailand as they will still be prohibited from visiting certain parts of the country and will be tracked via a smart phone application, she said.

Final details of the programme are being discussed by the Tourism and Sports Ministry, Public Health Ministry, Interior Ministry and Foreign Ministry.

The CCSA had on Friday agreed in principle on the travel bubbles proposal despite objections raised by security authorities.

The travel bubbles programme is seen by the Tourism and Sports Ministry as the first step to safely reopen Thailand's tourism to international visitors, she said. It is hoped to help accelerate a recovery from the economic impact of the pandemic on tourism, she said.

Despite the CCSA's preliminary approval on the travel bubble proposal, security authorities had expressed strong objections to the idea at Friday's meeting, a source said.

They asked that the proposal be put on hold because it isn't certain the tourism promotion programme won't lead to a new spike of imported Covid-19 infections and possibly a new wave of local transmissions, the source said.

Worse still, giving privilege to these specific foreign visitors while still imposing the 14-day quarantine on Thai nationals being repatriated will likely prompt negative reaction by those Thais, the source said.

The source said the programme may not be welcomed by communities in Thailand's tourist destinations that are being urged by the government to strictly maintain health measures to stay free of new Covid-19 cases. It is not known if special preparations will be needed in places likely to be popular with foreign tourists.

According to a recent online survey on public opinion about the government's reopening policy, most Thais were concerned about the possibility of Thailand reopening the country too soon to international visitors.

A slight majority (54.39%) of all 1,116 respondents asked in the survey by Suan Dusit Poll, conducted on Jun 9-12, said it still wasn't time to invite international tourists back to Thailand.

But only 24.28% of them thought tourists should be welcomed back now for the sake of boosting the economy.

Most of the poll respondents also thought strict limits on the number of local tourists should be maintained at every tourist attraction across the country while domestic tourism activities resume, said the poll.

The top destination found in this survey was Chiang Mai and most respondents (41.40%) expected Thailand's tourism to fully recover in about a year.

Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said on Friday the ministry has prepared three stimulus packages valued at 20 billion baht to kick start the tourism sector from next month until October.

Meanwhile, Narongchai Khunpluem, mayor of Saen Suk municipality in Chon Buri's Muang district, said those who continue to flout the ban on drinking alcohol on the beach will now face a fine after previous warnings have fallen on deaf ears.

"There they did it again, drinking alcohol on the beaches despite all these warnings. So they deserve to be fined, don't they?" the mayor wrote on his Facebook page.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... allowed-in
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Worse still, giving privilege to these specific foreign visitors while still imposing the 14-day quarantine on Thai nationals being repatriated will likely prompt negative reaction by those Thais, the source said.
Oh dear! We can't have nationals treated as 2nd class citizens :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic