Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by ExPenhMan »

Alex wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:29 pm
Robins wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:18 pm
Dunderhead wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:57 pm Glad to see another poster who actually understands what is really motivating this, unfortunately most of the others are firm believers in the imaginary super killer virus, and it will be too late when they come to their senses.
Yes, here in Thailand, I'm waiting to see if
1. The sign-in and phone scanning disappears at stores as soon as COVID is under control.
2. Just the sign-in sheets disappear and the smart (stupid) phone scan in to get into any business becomes permanent Chinese style.
3. We all get sick and die.
While they still have the QR codes and lists on display, enforcement definitely seems to fizzle out already, as is the norm with any kind of crackdown in Thailand after 2-3 weeks. At least in my area of Bangkok, they don't bother to remind you to check in and out anymore. So it's pretty much up to you at this point.
Just a desultory temp check, no sign in/out or QR code, at the 7-11s, Tesco Express, mall shops and Big C Extra Rama 4. It's getting looser and looser, and sometimes they won't even quit a chat among themselves to do their jobs.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Phuket airports opens at midnight for domestic flights
The order allows Phuket airport to reopen to receive domestic flights as long as the health guidelines already set out by CAAT are followed.

While Phuket airport will be allowed to operate domestic flights after midnight tonight, the ban on all inbound international passenger flights from entering Thailand remains in effect until June 30.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Alex wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:29 pm
Robins wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:18 pm
Dunderhead wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:57 pm Glad to see another poster who actually understands what is really motivating this, unfortunately most of the others are firm believers in the imaginary super killer virus, and it will be too late when they come to their senses.
Yes, here in Thailand, I'm waiting to see if
1. The sign-in and phone scanning disappears at stores as soon as COVID is under control.
2. Just the sign-in sheets disappear and the smart (stupid) phone scan in to get into any business becomes permanent Chinese style.
3. We all get sick and die.
While they still have the QR codes and lists on display, enforcement definitely seems to fizzle out already, as is the norm with any kind of crackdown in Thailand after 2-3 weeks. At least in my area of Bangkok, they don't bother to remind you to check in and out anymore. So it's pretty much up to you at this point.
I don't carry a cell phone, that's one of the burdens I shed when I retired. Yes, thankfully it seems to be going away but that software was not cheap or quick to write unless they borrowed it from China.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Things are getting better, lets see if the 14 day trial period goes well. if so,
time to get the tourism industry going
The 11pm-3am curfew will be lifted from June 15 but the national state of emergency in the country will continue. The centre has also decided to strictly control travel in and out of Thailand, as all new Covid-19 patients in recent days have been returnees from abroad. Beyond their ‘strictly control’ comment, no details were provided about the end of the international travel ban (one June 30) or any plans for who will be allowed back in, or when.

The CCSA says some high-risk activities, such as the use of school buildings and some sports, will be relaxed in the fourth phase, and sales of alcoholic beverages will be allowed in restaurants and bars, as well as the holding of concerts. However, social distancing measures will remain in place and bars and pubs will remain closed, for now.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

From what I saw tonight along Jomtien beach I think.we are in for another busy weekend of visiting local tourists, hard to get a parking spot just before sundown. Good to see the food vendors with the wheely carts getting trade again.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

to those in Bangkok> anyone been to Patpong, ( is the night market open?) Nana, soi cowboy, i assume they are all closed but how many will re open in the near future with NO TOURISTS, but exorbitant rates, to sit on the stools and fill the booths>
Will the girls return?
PHUKET: As daily life edges towards resembling normality, bars, pubs and entertainment venues yesterday were not included in Phase 4 of the government’s lifting of COVID-19 related restrictions.
The closure of entertainment venues in Patong alone is estimated to have costed Phuket B100 million a day in lost revenues, according to Weerawit Kreuasombat, President of the Patong Entertainment Business Association (PEBA).

“We don’t think we are ready to open,” said Mr Weerawit. “Almost 100% of the customers in the Patong entertainment area are foreigners and overseas tourists. We don’t think Thai people will visit entertainment venues in Patong.”
When asked about his thoughts on the future, Mr Weerawit said he doubts Phuket will be the same again.

“Businesses will come back but I suspect we will see them increasingly replaced by different types of operators. Bangla Rd, for example, will witness more restaurants offering musical entertainment, venues where customers are seated at tables, making it easier to observe social distancing rules.”

Safety measures will be crucial and Mr Weerawit outlined suggestions that he feels need to be employed for when business does resume.
https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-ba ... JT2eet61pQ

Soi Bangla is still closed..
Expect for the main bars on Soi Bangla the bars in the small sois barley did any business before covid hit
i think they wont return at all, which leads me to wonder what Bangla will change into.
been a long run ( since the early 80"s) but is it over?
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

The picture is getting more clear from all this talk. They are using the covid excuse to get rid of single male white foreigners and turn the place into a family-friendly destination. We shall see how long this folly will last, as the seedy entertainment industry was a huge factor. When they see a tiny trickle of money coming in they will have to rethink the new “abnormal”.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

Got me stuffed how Thailand is not in a hurry to open up, Wikipedia says Thai tourism is %17 of GDP at 505 billion US$ (GDP 2018) good on them for not panicking. the baht has held up against most currencies so ? The Thais are a resilient lot aren't they the only country in Southeast Asia to have never been colonized by Europeans. 21 successful and attempted coups in 1 century they're good at one thing. And Bangers is the hottest city in the world! I still think there must be a lot of families with a little less income with the lack of tourist $$$ in Pattaya, Phuket etc, people who live in a country run by oinkers must be
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wow;

Survey says… most Thais prefer to keep foreigners out, for now
“The local respondents showed little interest in visiting the more popular foreign tourist magnets of Pattaya and Phuket.”

A recent Suan Dusit Poll asked Thais whether they wanted foreign tourists visiting Thailand soon. 75.7% said “no”. 54.4% said they would prefer the Thai people to tour their own country first before heading overseas. 21.3% say they are afraid foreign visitors would spark a second wave of Covid-19.

The Suan Dusit Poll was conducted between June 9-12 on 1,116 people throughout the country on issues ranging from the easing of restrictions, domestic tourism and the possible re-opening of the country’s borders.

“When do you think Thailand’s tourism would return to normal after the Covid-19 situation is resolved?”

41.4% responded “in one year”, 25.9% said “six months”, 20.5% said “two years”, and 12.2% thought it would take “more than two years”. Only 24.3% say they want foreign tourists to come soon
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/surv ... ut-for-now
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic