Obtaining citizenship by descent.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chan chan
Tourist
Hong Kong

Re: Obtaining citizenship by descent.

Post by chan chan »

Thank you so much.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Everything will be easier if your mom can still speak Khmer and if you do speak some.
Don't forget the water buffalo
LynaTran
Tourist

Post by LynaTran »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:44 am Apply at the Department of Identification
My father is Cambodian and I want to apply for Cambodian citizenship. He lost his birth certificate but has his Green Card from USA that states his birthplace is Cambodia (he still resides in California and never gained USA citizenship). I am currently living in Vietnam and with Covid I can't travel at the moment. I was wondering if there is an agency or service that can help you apply on your behalf. Especially cause my dad is too old to travel now and too risky. Also I don't speak Khmer anymore. If you have a reputable company please recommend and please share any info on cost approximation. Thanks in advance.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

LynaTran wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:45 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:44 am Apply at the Department of Identification
My father is Cambodian and I want to apply for Cambodian citizenship. He lost his birth certificate but has his Green Card from USA that states his birthplace is Cambodia (he still resides in California and never gained USA citizenship). I am currently living in Vietnam and with Covid I can't travel at the moment. I was wondering if there is an agency or service that can help you apply on your behalf. Especially cause my dad is too old to travel now and too risky. Also I don't speak Khmer anymore. If you have a reputable company please recommend and please share any info on cost approximation. Thanks in advance.
Could be a good business opportunity for someone, but at this stage of development it's more likely that you would have to ask around on the ground in order to find a "fixer".

You could probably find a way to call Cambodia from Vietnam and call around to some places and ask if they know someone who does this.

It seems unlikely that you could do it without you and your father coming to Cambodia but you could get it all ready before actually coming.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Hi psd,

What about a person that have been adopted by a dual national french Khmer as an adult?
You can adopt an adult in france extremely easily.
Thinking of a theoretical workaround to the 300k
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Jack.R. wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:29 am
Hi psd,

What about a person that have been adopted by a dual national french Khmer as an adult?
Hahaha....No, nice try...but must be born to a Cambodian Citizen.
The key words being "by descent".
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:17 am
Jack.R. wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:29 am
Hi psd,

Hahaha....No, nice try...but must be born to a Cambodian Citizen.
The key words being "by descent".
Unfortunate, felt real smart about this one.
Thanks for your extensive knowledge.

Still, i am left to wonder that there must be some unexploited loophole somewhere. In every country Immigration rules there is one.
Yet probably the most straightforward way is to just get a light skinned Khmer guy/lady that lived abroad for some time, print out a birth certificate from your place of birth, make a 5$ embassy stamp and show up with your new father/mother saying that he knocked up your mom back in the day.
I would bet that they do not actually spend time doing due diligence with the embassy in particular if there isn't one here. :D
It might not work if you are blonde and blue eyed. :D
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Unexploited loophole: you are Vietnamese and you drive a boat up the Mekong!
twensolr91
Tourist
United States of America

Post by twensolr91 »

Did anyone successfully do this?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic