When To Book Flights To Thailand?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: When To Book Flights To Thailand?

Post by Doc67 »

Multipox wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:40 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:40 pm ....

For the UK, it is accepted that as long as the official government (FCO) travel advice is "all but essential international travel should be avoided" , all travel insurance, either new or existing, is void. I don't know what % of people that would exclude on the grounds of caution but I would think it is well north of 50%.

some countries like Serbia are requiring domestic health insurance to provide extensions visas to people who were stranded by the pandemic.

and if Thailand and Cambodia are requiring that incoming foreigners have 100,000 and 50,000 health insurance respectively, then there would seem to be a contradiction here, if the insurance companies will not honor such policies. (Governments impose all sorts of rules oblivious of whether they are possible or not.)

An international health insurance policy is available for about 150 euros depending on one's age from a company called Dunav Insurance Company in Serbia.

What I am wondering is, if one comes into KOW with a health insurance policy, can it be used to pay for this "treatment" the Cambodians are requiring we pay for.
No. They want $3000 up front. You claim on your policy if you like, they want cold hard cash there and then.

Countries might start adopting the attitude that they aren't going to bother reading and evaluating 10's of thousands of insurance documents at airports. Screw that. They can just insist you buy a policy at the airport from a big local insurance which they know will cover the costs if you get sick from Covid-19. $100 per 30 days sounds like a plan. If you plan to stay longer then get a price for 3-6-12 months. This is what Cambodia's latest incoherent diktats are talking about, policies at the airport.

They couldn't care less if you got mowed down in the street without insurance, you can bleed out in the gutter for all they care. Covid-19 can infect others so they need cash to lock you up in a hospital for weeks, it's all about the money.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:40 pm Of course, for someone "desperate" like me
you're desperate for either thailand or cambodia?
do you have family in both?
or is this more of a religious (cardinal) thing?

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:34 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:40 pm Of course, for someone "desperate" like me
you're desperate for either thailand or cambodia?
do you have family in both?
or is this more of a religious (cardinal) thing?
Desperate to get home. Was. But now I am resigned to that not happening for the foreseeable future - Oct or Nov maybe. Not family and definitely not religious!

Now planning to sit tight in London and get on the road again in August. Thailand my open up but Mexico is still open and flights are £400 direct, no hassle. Canada is expecting to open up in July so I might be able to reschedule my cancelled flight from Vancouver to PP via Manila at some point later in the year. The world is my lobster...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:56 pm Oct or Nov maybe.
that seems more realistic to me than people discussing july or even august
govts. who have bucked the 'lockdown' dogma have been made to look stupid, right or wrong
so caution is the path of least resistance
i don't think cambodia will care about tourists until high season, after the rains

monstra mihi bona!
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

If nobody is coming and other countries have the disease under control they will rethink this bs. I mean 30 bucks for three meals and charging 5 bucks for a bus transfer, if I didn't know Cambodia I just had to laugh.
And which hospitals are they bringing people, the ones I have seen were death traps.
Guess that's why they already openly advertising the cremation fee.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:04 pm
Multipox wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:40 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:40 pm ....

For the UK, it is accepted that as long as the official government (FCO) travel advice is "all but essential international travel should be avoided" , all travel insurance, either new or existing, is void. I don't know what % of people that would exclude on the grounds of caution but I would think it is well north of 50%.

some countries like Serbia are requiring domestic health insurance to provide extensions visas to people who were stranded by the pandemic.

and if Thailand and Cambodia are requiring that incoming foreigners have 100,000 and 50,000 health insurance respectively, then there would seem to be a contradiction here, if the insurance companies will not honor such policies. (Governments impose all sorts of rules oblivious of whether they are possible or not.)

An international health insurance policy is available for about 150 euros depending on one's age from a company called Dunav Insurance Company in Serbia.

What I am wondering is, if one comes into KOW with a health insurance policy, can it be used to pay for this "treatment" the Cambodians are requiring we pay for.
No. They want $3000 up front. You claim on your policy if you like, they want cold hard cash there and then.

Countries might start adopting the attitude that they aren't going to bother reading and evaluating 10's of thousands of insurance documents at airports. Screw that. They can just insist you buy a policy at the airport from a big local insurance which they know will cover the costs if you get sick from Covid-19. $100 per 30 days sounds like a plan. If you plan to stay longer then get a price for 3-6-12 months. This is what Cambodia's latest incoherent diktats are talking about, policies at the airport.

They couldn't care less if you got mowed down in the street without insurance, you can bleed out in the gutter for all they care. Covid-19 can infect others so they need cash to lock you up in a hospital for weeks, it's all about the money.
It' not just about the money, it's also about the health of the Big Boys supporting the government. Keeping them save is an issue now they can't run to Thailand, Vietnam or Singapore for care.

Having the millions in the bank but not the freedom to travel has been a big game changer in Cambodia. Remember the attitude when travel was still possible and the cruise ship requested docking?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It' not just about the money, it's also about the health of the Big Boys supporting the government. Keeping them save is an issue now they can't run to Thailand, Vietnam or Singapore for care.

Having the millions in the bank but not the freedom to travel has been a big game changer in Cambodia. Remember the attitude when travel was still possible and the cruise ship requested docking?
[/quote]

We are supposed to forget that, as it was a long long time ago.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:38 am
Kammekor wrote: It' not just about the money, it's also about the health of the Big Boys supporting the government. Keeping them save is an issue now they can't run to Thailand, Vietnam or Singapore for care.

I know, but my memory still serves me well.

Just curious how you explain the shift of narrative. Not the official explanation, but the real one. From small 'country, big heart' to 'safety first'. Interesting, isn't it? My bet is on the international travel restrictions, scaring the hell out of the rich now facing possible treatment in the Khmer Soviet Friendship hospital. Don't forget, loads of them are in the risk group. :stir:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:45 am
Duncan wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:38 am
Kammekor wrote: It' not just about the money, it's also about the health of the Big Boys supporting the government. Keeping them save is an issue now they can't run to Thailand, Vietnam or Singapore for care.

I know, but my memory still serves me well.

Just curious how you explain the shift of narrative. Not the official explanation, but the real one. From small 'country, big heart' to 'safety first'. Interesting, isn't it? My bet is on the international travel restrictions, scaring the hell out of the rich now facing possible treatment in the Khmer Soviet Friendship hospital. Don't forget, loads of them are in the risk group. :stir:
If they get sick with Covid-19, I mean properly sick such as layed up in bed, they wont be able to fly off for treatment anyway. Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore are going to have medical tests at entry points, even PP airport will have screening at the doors. These old farts won't be allowed on board an aircraft with a raging temperature, cold sweats and coughing their guts up. Not even an air ambulance will help them as other countries are not going to knowingly import positive cases.

They are all stuck with the shitty system of their own making and while The Royal PP and one or two others do have ICU beds and a few doctors that know what they are doing, if the virus runs through the government and higher echelons of PP society, that wont be enough.

I think this bug has already had it's first wave and just bounced off everyone, for whatever reason. I don't think a second wave will be any different.

Meanwhile tourism, 32% of the countries GDP, has been throttled and the garment sector, another 30% is in tatters. Tick tock tick tock...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

guarantee ya, if a hi so shows up at the Thai/Cambodian border en route to a hospital in Bangkok
he will get thru
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic