Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by hunter8 »

I’d like to be wrong on this but something is telling me that Thailand as we knew it is over. The fun part of it is not coming back in the foreseeable future, and i am happy i knew it when the going was good. Time to look for greener pastures.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

hunter8 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:42 pm I’d like to be wrong on this but something is telling me that Thailand as we knew it is over. The fun part of it is not coming back in the foreseeable future, and i am happy i knew it when the going was good. Time to look for greener pastures.
Thailand as I knew it has kind of come back for me, not the wild and raunchy side but a really nice and friendly everyone in the same boat kind of feel. More Thai less touristy. Pattaya is for the first time I've known it more full of residents rather than transients and it actually shows.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

hunter8 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:42 pm I’d like to be wrong on this but something is telling me that Thailand as we knew it is over. The fun part of it is not coming back in the foreseeable future, and i am happy i knew it when the going was good. Time to look for greener pastures.
Are you currently in Thailand? I am, and in my opinion, it hasn't been this good since many years!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Will they or won't they?

Almost every day some titled Thai speaks up on foreign tourist issues and the economy and moves the goal posts forward and sometimes back. Today, Deputy PM Somkid Jatusripitak speaks with softened, non-fear-mongering rhetoric in today's Bangkok Post.

Headline: Govt eyes easing of entry ban
The government is considering easing entry restrictions for foreign visitors possibly in the third or final quarter of this year, with priority given to those arriving from coronavirus-free areas, says Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak.

He said relaxing inbound travel restrictions is the first step in kickstarting the tourism industry, but the government has to be prudent in screening travellers and implementing an efficient tracking system to reduce the risk of a second wave of infections.

Nowhere does he mention quarantines or health insurance. Hmmm . . .
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -entry-ban

There's yet another Deputy PM in the story, but I think you can largely ignore his comments.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Alex wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:35 am
Are you currently in Thailand? I am, and in my opinion, it hasn't been this good since many years!
No, i left it at the end of March when all the fun places closed down. The current rhetoric does not suggest a return to normal any time soon. Without fun places Thailand has no edge over a whole lot of other countries.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

While I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments, Thailand at its best is a hard act to follow.

If you've lived in Thailand for a while, you're spoiled for life because it's mostly downhill after that.

The rest of ASEAN is kind of a joke. Then, there's Central and South America if you want to live in the tropics. Africa? South Asia?

Might as well stay there...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

sigmoid wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:02 pm While I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments, Thailand at its best is a hard act to follow.

If you've lived in Thailand for a while, you're spoiled for life because it's mostly downhill after that.

The rest of ASEAN is kind of a joke. Then, there's Central and South America if you want to live in the tropics. Africa? South Asia?

Maybe this was true up until this year but i feel the current situation is a game-changer. There are many more options now when the competitive edge of Thailand is lost. I am talking specifically about closure of night life which i think is not coming back. It may not be so important for expats but for short and long-term tourists it’s important enough to start looking elsewhere.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

hunter8 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:44 pm
sigmoid wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:02 pm While I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments, Thailand at its best is a hard act to follow.

Maybe this was true up until this year but i feel the current situation is a game-changer. There are many more options now when the competitive edge of Thailand is lost. I am talking specifically about closure of night life which i think is not coming back. It may not be so important for expats but for short and long-term tourists it’s important enough to start looking elsewhere.
Yes, you're right. What are the options? Where are you going to start looking?

My point was simply that those are not easy questions to answer.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

there are bar goer's an there non bar goer's
I am in the 2nd class
wither any significant amount of the 2019 35 million tourist would care or not..remains to be seen

The bars WONT stay closed, The gogo's wont stay closed, the clubs & discos wont stay closed, might not be open till end of year, but they will open

good news for phuket...
PHUKET: People arriving in Phuket from other places in Thailand do not have to observe a 14-day self-quarantine after arriving on the island, Dr Thanit Sermkaew, chief of the Phuket Provincial Health Office (PPHO), has confirmed.
“No self-quarantine is required for any people regardless of which province they come from,” Dr Thanit told The Phuket News today (June 9).
Now all we need is the airport to open and the international arrivals to come back ( id say by mid Oct)

Outside of the people wearing masks, the lines of people to get free food, the shuttered bars and having to sign in everywhere i go, its just a low season

Thailand is a survivor :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:10 pm there are bar goer's an there non bar goer's
I am in the 2nd class
wither any significant amount of the 2019 35 million tourist would care or not..remains to be seen

The bars WONT stay closed, The gogo's wont stay closed, the clubs & discos wont stay closed, might not be open till end of year, but they will open

good news for phuket...
PHUKET: People arriving in Phuket from other places in Thailand do not have to observe a 14-day self-quarantine after arriving on the island, Dr Thanit Sermkaew, chief of the Phuket Provincial Health Office (PPHO), has confirmed.
“No self-quarantine is required for any people regardless of which province they come from,” Dr Thanit told The Phuket News today (June 9).
Now all we need is the airport to open and the international arrivals to come back ( id say by mid Oct)

Outside of the people wearing masks, the lines of people to get free food, the shuttered bars and having to sign in everywhere i go, its just a low season

Thailand is a survivor :beer3:
Maybe so, but SCMP seems to disagree:
Coronavirus turns Teflon Thailand’s wealth gap into a economic chasm (Actually, it is the 'lockdown', not the virus.)
"With both the lower and middle classes now facing ruin, ‘Teflon’ Thailand’s reputation for weathering financial crises is feeling the heat like never before."

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/economic ... omic-chasm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic