Terrace House cancelled, member commits suicide

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Terrace House cancelled, member commits suicide

Post by newkidontheblock »

Posted as a not in Cambodia.

One of my current favorite reality TV series, Terrace House was cancelled by Fuji TV network (collaborated with Netflix).

The premise of the series is six 20-30 year olds live together in one house. No script. Just cameras following them around for a week (1 episode) as they go about their daily lives. They have jobs and careers and a purpose for coming. And then professional comedians comment over each episode.

Netflix waits for about 10-12 episodes or so, then subtitles them and releases into the US.

Fascinating insight into the Japanese psyche.

Supposedly on the latest series one member is a professional wrestler (WWE style). Another member washed her outfit and ruined it. Got a tongue lashing by the wrestler lady. Social media bullying over the incident was so bad, that it drove the wrestler lady into depression then suicide over it.

Fuji TV Network had halted production due to the virus, but now ended the series right there and then following the death of this member.

No idea if this final set of episodes will ever come to US shores.

<sniff>
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Terrace House cancelled, member commits suicide

Post by Brody »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:09 am Fascinating insight into the Japanese psyche.
Yeah, from what I've read, the Japanese take cyber bullying to the extreme and can be quite vicious.

So sad that she apparently committed suicide over it.

I didn't know the episodes were given English subtitles.....I may check out a few and see what the hubbub is all about.

Poor woman was only 22 years old I think.............and quite foxy if I may be so bold.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Super hot! Shows where the real strength is though, she most certainly seemed the part.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Yobbo wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:09 pm Super hot!
Yes she is or was................. I'm a little ashamed to say that I've been perving out to all these tribute videos for her.

God all mighty those Jap wrestling women wear skimpy clothes
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Brody wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:57 pm
Yes she is or was................. I'm a little ashamed to say that I've been perving out to all these tribute videos for her.

Link to vidz please.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:44 pm
Brody wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Link to vidz please.
Waiting patiently Brody :bigeyes:
finish_money
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by finish_money »

I watched one of the seasons. probably the strangest show I’ve ever watched. think slow burn times 1000. it was fascinating to see how conscious they are of “face”, as it’s basically a Real World type dating show except everyone is terrified of disappointing their parents. every episode includes a live audience that they cut to several times each show to analyze every minute detail. at first it’s interesting but eventually you might just end up skipping over those parts to avoid killing yourself from boredom. still, I was strangely addicted and felt compelled to finish the whole thing (which is very long).

sad that the girl who committed suicide. that wasn’t the season I watched.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It’s not filmed in front of a live audience. Instead the week’s episode is discussed at several points by Japanese comedians. They also comment during the episode (listen on the Japanese soundtrack). Unfortunately, that track is not subtitled.

Japanese culture isn’t in your face, I only care about me, like American culture. There’s a whole ton of analysis and explaining from the commentators.

There are a lot of Half Japanese on the show as well. Much more westernized, causing friction and drama.

And of course, they are pretty and handsome. Lots of models, sports players, etc.
finish_money
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by finish_money »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:15 am It’s not filmed in front of a live audience. Instead the week’s episode is discussed at several points by Japanese comedians. They also comment during the episode (listen on the Japanese soundtrack). Unfortunately, that track is not subtitled.
yes you’re correct. the presentation just feels like they’re watching along with you. Overall I’m glad I watched it because it’s definitely a fascinating look into their culture. I watched the “Opening New Doors” season.
WineOxley
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by WineOxley »

How/where can I watch this show?
Lands and cities are left astern,your faults will follow you whithersoever you travel.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic