wacky covid cures

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: wacky covid cures

Post by Kammekor »

samrong01 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:39 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:53 am Cambodia's special weapon against COVID-19 : Ting Mong
Short video on the link below
World 12:24, 12-May-2020
Story of Fighting COVID-19: Cambodia's scarecrows ease the mind
In Siem Reap, capital of northwest Cambodia's Siem Reap province, people make scarecrows, known as Ting Mong, to protect themselves against COVID-19. They are generally made of straw and branches and dressed in old clothing.

Maden, a Siem Reap local, said he has seen such a traditional practice ever since his childhood, which is to bolster the belief that Cambodians can survive out of the diseases.

The head monk at the Wat Bo Buddhist Pagoda in Siem Reap said that this practice has been around for at least a hundred years and is used to ward off evil spirits, illnesses and diseases, such as leprosy in the past. But it only provides people with emotional comfort during difficult times, such as the COVID-19 pandemic they are experiencing now. Maden said making a Ting Mong makes people feel happy and protected. It's a feeling of peace.
https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-05-12/S ... index.html
I noticed these when driving down Highway 6 a couple of days ago and wondered why I had not noticed them before. Had no idea they were related to coronavirus. They work as well as anything I suppose.
^this.

They've been around for ages, long before Corona. It's possible some have set it up because of Corona, but I doubt we're talking about large amounts.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Just finished watching True Detective season one. Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. I first watched the series in 2014, but decided to have another look as it was still on my HD as a keeper. Those scarecrows remind me of the weird twig figures that featured in the story.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Posted on social media yesterday, 4 June 2020.
Magic mung beans ? Did your wife feed you mung beans today ? (If not, why not ? )
SIEM REAP’S VIRAL MUNG BEAN RUN RE VIRUS
The West may have had a run on toilet paper during early virus hysteria, but in Cambodia the run was apparently on mung beans.
Why? Because of a new urban myth about an infant in Siem Reap who miraculously spoke only a few hours after he was born and told his parents that the only way to prevent infection from the virus was by eating a bowl of mung beans before the day ends.. The price of mung beans in the Kingdom apparently skyrocketed that day.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atkins, k
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by atkins, k »

fazur wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:26 am garlic, draino, herbs...food. what have you heard?

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2020050 ... the-plague
Craziest cure I saw that worked was the media focusing on causing a race war in the USA. Ill be darned if they havent cured an entire country in a single week!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:29 pm Posted on social media yesterday, 4 June 2020.
Magic mung beans ? Did your wife feed you mung beans today ? (If not, why not ? )
The West may have had a run on toilet paper during early virus hysteria, but in Cambodia the run was apparently on mung beans.
Why? Because of a new urban myth about an infant in Siem Reap who miraculously spoke only a few hours after he was born and told his parents that the only way to prevent infection from the virus was by eating a bowl of mung beans before the day ends.. The price of mung beans in the Kingdom apparently skyrocketed that day.
Well, it's an undeniable fact that good gut health promotes and boosts your immune system. So all that fibre is sure to give you a detox.. :dm:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:29 pm Posted on social media yesterday, 4 June 2020.
Copy cats!!

That's an old one from 2003 and the SARS epidemic.
The rumor was that you had to eat a mung bean dessert at (or was is before) midnight to protect you from SARS. Of course the price of mung beans sky-rocketed.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... sars-rumor

Interesting. I just read the link. Total copy cats.
"a baby born in Siem Reap on May 7 - and which was miraculously able to speak while only a few hours old - told its parents that the only way to avoid the disease was to eat a bowl of mung beans before midnight that night."

:facepalm:

Oh, and just in case you're wondering, I didn't eat a bowl of mung bear dessert that night in 2003, and the following day I died. So best you heed the good advice! :popcorn:
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

Was pa pa a mung bean salesman by any chance?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More on Cambodian Ting Mong scarecrows against Covid-19:

Cambodian farmers deploy scarecrows to ward off COVID-19

11 Oct 2020 08:31PM
KAMPONG CHAM, Cambodia: Armed with a stick, a floral-shirted scarecrow with a plastic pot for a head stands guard in front of a rural Cambodian home - a sentry erected by superstitious farmers to ward off the coronavirus.

Known as Ting Mong in Khmer, the creatively rendered scarecrows often pop up in villages that have been hard-hit by infectious diseases like dengue or water-borne diarrhoea.
This time, "I've set up the Ting Mong to prevent the coronavirus from threatening my family", says farmer Sok Chany, 45.

She has two posted in front of her wooden stilt home in Kampong Cham province, about 110km northeast of the capital Phnom Penh.

The other is dressed in camo-green and has a stick propped like a rifle across its hay-stuffed chest.
"It is our ancient superstition to set up Ting Mongs when there are dangerous diseases or to avert evil," she tells AFP.

The majority Buddhist kingdom has a strong strain of animism incorporated into the daily lives and rituals of Cambodians, with many believing that spirits are tied to places, animals and things.

The Ting Mongs are meant to ward off evil spirits wishing to bring harm on an unsuspecting family by spreading disease.

In Sok Chany's Trapeang Sla village, no chances are taken - an effigy is tied to the gate of nearly every home, though constructed with varying degrees of effort.

Some are elaborately dressed in military uniform or floral pyjamas, while others simply have stuffed bags with sunglasses perched on them for a head.
Farmer Ton Pheang stuffs old clothing up the arm of his Ting Mong, which is dressed in a bright pink shirt and has a helmet for its head.
"This is my second one - the first one broke," the 55-year-old says, adding that his scarecrow has been standing guard under sun and rain since April when the outbreak started spreading rapidly across Southeast Asia.

"We've been fine since the outbreak," Ton Pheag tells AFP. "I'll continue to leave it up as long as COVID still exists."
. (Photos: AFP/TANG CHHIN Sothy)
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... 9-13255304
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic