How do I book a hotel (or guesthouse) in this time of virus?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

How do I book a hotel (or guesthouse) in this time of virus?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Question says it all. Let’s say I plan to stay a week in the Kingdom of Wonder. I book a week at a hotel or guesthouse. I manage to get a visa, insurance, test results 72 hrs prior to departure. On arrival, I ‘wait’ in the airport 24-48 hrs for test results. Does the hotel refund me the 1-2 days I didn’t stay there? Or do I just claim I arrived late and eat the charge.

What if I’m then told to self quarantine for 2 weeks? And the hotel says that my reservation runs out in 5 days (2 spent waiting for results), and there are no more rooms left? Do I self quarantine at one place then move to another?

Final question. Let’s say, one person on the flight tests positive, and everyone goes into government quarantine for 2 weeks. Obviously I stayed zero days at the hotel. Does the hotel give me a complete refund?

This must be a real dilemma for hotels and guest houses as well. Because of waiting for test results and potential government quarantine they have no idea when guests will show up, if at all.

Any thoughts?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: How do I book a hotel (or guesthouse) in this time of virus?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

In these circumstances, Nuke, i personally would not pay for any reservation in advance.
And certainly that would not be necessary, i don't think there will be any shortage of hotel rooms available.

If this is just a hypothetical - i have no idea what the protocol is
probably a very individual thing to be played out between you and the innkeeper.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

I’d echo Stern. Don’t book. Turn up. Check in. There will be plenty of rooms available.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

You could email the hotel about rates and availability. Probably better rates than booking.com. A friend recently stayed in a bungalow on the beach on Koh Rong for $70, normally it is $210. If it was in anywhere else in the country it would have been $35 as it was nothing fancy, but Koh Rong is a premium spot. Lots of reasonable deals there now. Normally it's way too expensive.
finish_money
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by finish_money »

I think you’ll probably find some places willing to hold a “credit” for you given the circumstances. just communicate via email so you have it in writing. I always stay at the same hotels and have made last minute changes a few times without problems so being a repeat customer also helps.
"You can't teach the beast. It's either in you or it isn't. You can't just go to the store and buy a six-pack of beast. It don't work like that." — Kevin Garnett
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

A lot of hotels in the Daun Penh/Riverside area are closed for lack of customers so no need to book anything..maybe just find out what's open :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic