Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

hunter8 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:42 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:07 pm escaped the worst effects.
The worst effects are yet to come, my friend. They will not be directly related to covid, but to the economic crisis. A few revolutions, a few wars, years of suffering. Media will switch attention to those hot topics.
Maybe, Hunter, i do acknowledge that
but the western eckomony is busted and broken anyway
like George Floyd, this virus is just one of the final straws
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:13 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:49 pm The final numbers for that escapade are not in yet but when they are they will be biblical...
The Apocalypse? :shock:

might be a good thing in the long run
:mrgreen:

Look, i think i am prescribing a solution that worked really well in this little corner of the world - for you guys who were faced with a much more complex and difficult situation.
Only you who are living up north (hemisphere) can make the judgements for up there.
I guess i am just being a bit of a missionary for the approach that Oz, NZ and many of the Pacific nations did.
Sorry if i sound like i am crowing a bit - it's just that what we pulled off was a kind of small miracle. Hard not to be enthusiastic for this approach.

And the numbers are starting to show our economies are going to survive much better too - because the strategy was so successful.
But yeah, if i was living in UK, Europe or USA after the virus was already out of control, I would probably have a different outlook for sure.
Its far from over and it looks like you had some advantage in that the southern hemisphere had a less virulent strain than the north got. Your economy relies on exporting raw materials, which in turn relies on manufacturing getting back to pre covid levels. I think you need to wait for 2 things
1) the long termimact on spending and manufacturing which wiltake nother 6 months to arrive
2) covid 2 which will undoubtedly turn up this winter, same as flu mutates every year. The second wave will come!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:13 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:49 pm The final numbers for that escapade are not in yet but when they are they will be biblical...
The Apocalypse? :shock:

might be a good thing in the long run
:mrgreen:

Look, i think i am prescribing a solution that worked really well in this little corner of the world - for you guys who were faced with a much more complex and difficult situation.
Only you who are living up north (hemisphere) can make the judgements for up there.
I guess i am just being a bit of a missionary for the approach that Oz, NZ and many of the Pacific nations did.
Sorry if i sound like i am crowing a bit - it's just that what we pulled off was a kind of small miracle. Hard not to be enthusiastic for this approach.

And the numbers are starting to show our economies are going to survive much better too - because the strategy was so successful.
But yeah, if i was living in UK, Europe or USA after the virus was already out of control, I would probably have a different outlook for sure.
I think the best decision that Oz and NZ took was closing the borders. The containment measure were given a firm basis, although letting the cruise ship passengers go wandering around was a mistake.

I read somewhere that Australian international tourism was worth about AUD$50 Billion annually. It seemed clear at the time that was a price considered worth paying by your government to keep your country effectively virus free and the economy operation normally otherwise. Considering the costs to the UK are going to be north of £300 billion in the next 12 months, your price seems cheap.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:20 pm
hunter8 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:42 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:07 pm escaped the worst effects.
The worst effects are yet to come, my friend. They will not be directly related to covid, but to the economic crisis. A few revolutions, a few wars, years of suffering. Media will switch attention to those hot topics.
Maybe, Hunter, i do acknowledge that
but the western eckomony is busted and broken anyway
like George Floyd, this virus is just one of the final straws
I always saw the world economy as a system that was doomed to failure . Who would ever think the progress we made in the last 100 years we could repeat in the next 100 years . Mother Earth will not stand for the greed of mankind while the population on Earth keeps doubling with mankind wanting more and more of Earths resources while polluting the air, sea and the land.

Depopulation is the only way this world will survive.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

pczz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:51 pm the southern hemisphere had a less virulent strain than the north got.

1) the long termimact on spending and manufacturing which wiltake nother 6 months to arrive
2) covid 2 which will undoubtedly turn up this winter, same as flu mutates every year. The second wave will come!
Not really looking to argue PC :) but..

a/ It is simply not true that we had a different strain.

Yes, on 1/ - however we also put in excellent economic support measures which will ameliorate the worst effects.
- combined with the short lockdown that we could afford because the anti-virus measures were so successful.

2/ Yes we will have local outbreaks, for sure.
but consensus says because we have bought valuable time, because we are coming off such a low base, because our tracking and testing protocols are so good - we can afford to swing back to nearly normal now, and be able to jump on those inevitable outbreaks quick smart.
That's the theory. But i fully acknowledge that only time will tell.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:16 pm because our tracking and testing protocols are so good - we can afford to swing back to nearly normal now, and be able to jump on those inevitable outbreaks quick smart.
Now you sound like the Dutch institutions days before they went in full lock down and their testing protocols became useless due to the sheer numbers popping up.

Don't praise the day until........
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The ECB just announced $676 billion of new stimulus to fight the coronavirus

The new package takes the ECB’s total announced monetary stimulus to 1.35 trillion euros ($US1.52 trillion).

Full story: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/coro ... ion-2020-6
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

'Can't quite believe it': New Zealand tiptoes towards elimination of coronavirus
With an anonymous woman in Auckland the last confirmed case, scientists expect to be able to declare next week that the nation is virus-free
Charlotte Graham-McLay in Wellington
Last modified on Fri 5 Jun 2020 00.38 BST

As health officials announce each new day of no new Covid-19 cases, social media explodes with New Zealanders celebrating the news.

“That feeling like you got away with something that seemed impossible and you can’t quite believe it even though you want to believe it,” wrote one, on Twitter. “But for an entire country.”

Twenty-two New Zealanders have died of Covid-19, ; thousands have lost their jobs and the nation’s largest export sector, tourism, lies in tatters. But as New Zealanders look to the hundreds of thousands of deaths recorded in other countries, there is a sense that the rest of the world faced a different pandemic, the disastrous scale of which never fully arrived here.

Now, providing there are no new and unexpected cases to marr the country’s 13-day streak of zero fresh instances of Covid-19, scientists say they expect to be able to declare next week that the virus has been eliminated from New Zealand – making it the first country among the OECD group of wealthy nations, and the first country that has recorded more than 100 cases to make such a statement, analysts said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Ha! ^^^
Not only that
we were the first country to vote in a transgender member of parliament too.
an' an'.. what about bungy jumping? - Yep! first to that as well.

:hattip: to us.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by Stiliko »

Blood group type may affect susceptibility to COVID-19 respiratory failure

“...further analysis showed that A-positive participants were at a 45% increased risk for respiratory failure, while individuals with blood group O were at a 35% decreased risk for respiratory failure.

The authors say that early clinical reports have suggested the ABO blood group system is involved in determining susceptibility to COVID-19 and has also been implicated in susceptibility to SARS-CoV-1.”

https://www.news-medical.net/amp/news/2 ... ilure.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic