Metfone offers affordable Wi-Fi access for 60,000 riel per month

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Metfone offers affordable Wi-Fi access for 60,000 riel per month

Post by phuketrichard »

Can someone over there tell me, is this a good deal?
is 10mbs fast enough to use an android box?
what is a better deal with faster speeds?
We are offering up to 10Mbps internet speed and a free modem for only 60,000 riel per month. And free 5 metfone SIM Card for call cooperate unlimited as well.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... Zb9l9C0eGn

10mbs sounds dam slow as i pay about the same for 400 mbs up and down, but seldom get faster than 180 mbs
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Re: Metfone offers affordable Wi-Fi access for 60,000 riel per month

Post by lostjeremy »

I'm sure it's the same as Smart wifi. Just a router with a built in Sim card.
It runs on 4g so just depends on where you live if it's going to be good or not. eg close to the 4g tower

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Netflix needs 3Mbps for standard streaming and 5Mbps for HD, so you will be fine. I use a smart wifi 4g router with about 5 family members connected most of the day and it streams perfectly well. Again, depends on where you are located as to how well the service will perform.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

lostjeremy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:26 pm I'm sure it's the same as Smart wifi. Just a router with a built in Sim card.
It runs on 4g so just depends on where you live if it's going to be good or not. eg close to the 4g tower

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk
It's not mobile. It's fiber optic connection.

Don't know how Android Box works and where it's servers are located but that should be enough for couple device simultaneously streaming Youtube or Netflix videos for example. Of course this being Cambodia, your internet connection speed/quality is heavily dependant on the location. Some provider's connection might work as promised in location X but some other provider's connection in same location is down all the time and gives you half of the promised speed at best.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

thanks all;
the android box plugs via a cable directly into my wireless modem
90% of the time is streams fine, 10 % (like weekend evenings) it buffers a bit

if you want try and see and inform all here,
download Mobdro, https://mobdro.net/ on ur Tablet/smart phone, (its free) and see if you can access it an watch ur news / tv shows / movies.

Again thanks.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

I have a Metfone sim in my iPad, I get between 12-30mpbs for $1 a week. Metfone is the only carrier that has good coverage in my neighborhood near Chhouk Meas. I gave up on trying to use the shitty Opennet wifi in the house.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:16 pm Can someone over there tell me, is this a good deal?
We are offering up to 10Mbps internet speed and a free modem for only 60,000 riel per month. And free 5 metfone SIM Card for call cooperate unlimited as well.

10mbs sounds dam slow as i pay about the same for 400 mbs up and down, but seldom get faster than 180 mbs
IMH(and sceptical)O
That is an introductory price ,which will go up and they usually consider like 15GB to be unlimited. I can use that up in a few days.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have WiFi at home, but use Smart on my mobile.
https://www.smart.com.kh/faq/what-is-smart-streamon-8/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:16 pm Can someone over there tell me, is this a good deal?

I pay Metfone $30 per month for above average broadband, not Wi-Fi.

Even four or five years ago I had super fast broadband for like $25 per month in Preah Vihear.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic