Service Business Ideas

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
turtlewave101
Tourist
Liechtenstein

Service Business Ideas

Post by turtlewave101 »

Greetings,

I am interested in starting a service business (non restaurant or bar or guesthouse). I have been to Cambodia a few times and I would like to return to start a business. My initial thoughts are around e-waste management but I would like to hear some ideas of what services you believe are needed.

:please: :beer3:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Service Business Ideas

Post by pczz »

turtlewave101 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:21 pm Greetings,

I am interested in starting a service business (non restaurant or bar or guesthouse). I have been to Cambodia a few times and I would like to return to start a business. My initial thoughts are around e-waste management but I would like to hear some ideas of what services you believe are needed.

:please: :beer3:
We have e-waste management. thy the poor bastards pushing trolleys around at night going through all the rubbish for anything they can sell, from plastic bottle and tin cans to bits of cardboard and wood. I even had a couple in y ara loking for any half finished food to eat.
On a more practical note, you can only have waste management if you have waste recycling facilities to do something. No one collect glass botlles for example as there are no glass recycling plants, waste metal has nowhere to go except cans etc etc.
You need to research the infrastructure you need for your service industry first
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

E-waste means junked electronics, nothing to do with bottles or half finished food. And I think the OP is on to something.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Marty wrote:E-waste means junked electronics, nothing to do with bottles or half finished food. And I think the OP is on to something.
Recycling E-Waste is very labor intensive. Massive factories are needed to assemble electronics, especially computers and smartphones. An equally labor intensive processes is need to unscrew everything, and desolder it all, and separate everything into basic materials. There are valuable metals used, but no one has found the effort to get at them enough to be profitable.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Yes I agree all those conditions make Cambodia a perfect place for e-waste processing. As a bonus all those workers will get the benefits of half finished food mixed in with all that e-waste.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Marty wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:18 am Yes I agree all those conditions make Cambodia a perfect place for e-waste processing. As a bonus all those workers will get the benefits of half finished food mixed in with all that e-waste.
Apart from the fact that electricity is more expensive than neighbouring countries and there are no local facilities for recovering and of the expesnive materials because that generally requires heat and or toxic chemicalschemicals. Then you have to transport them on Cambodias wonderful roads system. The casings of electronic products are usually plastic and there is no recycling for those here either. Cheap labour is only part of the equation. Quite likely the environmental damage form transporting the stuff to cambodia would negate any benefit from recovering them. Some stuff is already sent to China and India and other places by western governments who wish to appear to be reducing their footprint and they wind up being burnt. Uk government got caught sending waste plastic to china to be incinerated, recently containers turned up in Cambodia form Canada I think and were returned.
To be viabkle you need a large supply of scrap, cheap labout, cheap energy amd a lot of factories clamouring to buy your recycled precious metals. Only one of these conditions apply to cambodia.
Cambodians do recycle. The house opposite me gets large containers full of old japanese electronics, mostly aircon units and fridges which they clean up and repair and sell on locally. There are no end of shops that fx electronic tools, rewind electric motors etc to keep stuff going
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Marty wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:04 pm E-waste means junked electronics, nothing to do with bottles or half finished food. And I think the OP is on to something.
But maybe a bit late off the mark!

New e-waste management project in Cambodia to create new jobs

PHNOM PEHN, 9 Aug 2012 – The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is launching a new project in Cambodia aimed at creating employment opportunities and ensuring effective e-waste management in the country.

The project is worth USD 1,350,000 and is funded by the Republic of Korea through Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) - East Asia Climate Partnership (EACP) and Samsung Electronics. The EACP is Korea’s international development cooperation initiative aimed at combating climate change and supporting green growth in developing countries, including in Cambodia.https://www.unido.org/news/new-e-waste- ... e-new-jobs

Waste Management Strategy and Action Plan for Phnom Penh 2018-2035 is the result of the ... Cambodia Climate Change Alliance (CCCA) trust facility managed by the General ... Figure 17: Estimated E-Waste Generation in Phnom Penh in Units. 29 ... UNIDO. United Nations Industrial Development Organization. UPWD.

https://www.ccet.jp/sites/default/files ... 35_web.pdf
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Transportation and logistics at the end user level are still woefully fragmented here. There is nothing on the order of a national postal service for the domestic market.
A central processing facility in 3-4 regional centers with the actual pickup and delivery managed by the company in cities, and contracted out to provincial agencies ( franchisees ) may be worth looking into.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic