Traveling in Times of Coronavirus

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Traveling in Times of Coronavirus

Post by Doc67 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:50 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:23 pm The collapsing of their tourist sector, entirely self inflicted
i don't agree
even if cambodian borders remained open, there would not have been too many tourists

now, there's a risk of allowing infection in
does the benefit from receiving a handful of adventurous travelers outweigh the risk?
It wont be a handful if they open up, they will return in large numbers. Maybe not at first and not at the usual numbers, but there is demand waiting to be tapped. The whole world is not skint. Until they open up the airlines will not get ready to fly, the people wont buy the tickets and the goose cannot be woken up to lay it's golden eggs. If you build it, they will come.

The "risk of infection" has already passed, the virus was in the country early in the year and did not take a hold. It did no damage at all apart from scaring people a lot. Demographics - lifestyle - genetics, take your pick as to why, but if Cambodia was going to get it bad it would have got it by now.

So, yes, the risk of getting an increase in numbers - an absolute certainty - is well worth the gains of trying to get a third of it's economy out of a coma. It's going to need it in the next 12 months.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:06 pm
theKid wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:00 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:33 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:53 pm
"Southeast Asia accounts for just 4.4% of global COVID-19 infections, according to the World Health Organisation, much lower than the Americas or Europe, which each account for roughly 40%."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... KKBN238144
USA, Brazil, UK and Russia are the biggest scorers in the Covid crisis at the moment, but look how things have changed in only a few months. China, Korea, Italy, Spain and France were in the lead at the beginning. Coronavirus outbreaks in Africa may be starting now and India has serious problems containing infection in some regions. There could easily be another outbreak in SE Asia which will shut everything down again. It's not over yet IMO.
I agree. Asian countries shut down and killed their economies and livelihoods to achieve those low rates. It can be argued whether this was worth it or not, the future will tell, but currently the narrative seems to remain the same so it’s unlikely they will risk an opening. Especially with cases still being so high in Europe and North America.

Every day there are planes from Heathrow etc landing in HK for example, and on pretty much every flight some infections are found. China just allowed one charter plane in from Frankfurt yesterday and immediately found a case.

Although continuing to shut the borders will devastate Cambodia just as much, they seem to think that all that hardship in the past few months would have been in vain if they would open up now.
Every day there are planes from Heathrow etc landing in HK for example, and on pretty much every flight some infections are found. China just allowed one charter plane in from Frankfurt yesterday and immediately found a case.

Do you have a source for this? I'm interested in keeping a very close eye on this matter being stuck in the UK.

Thanks
I had quite a few friends and family flying back to HK in the past few weeks. Most were on Virgin, some on Qatar. BA and CX fly too, but very sporadically. Best to check on their website, although I’m sure the last minute cancellations do exist here too.
HK airport is now open for transit again as well but not to Mainland destinations. However, HK still does not let non-residents into the city and residents need to self quarantine.

https://hongkongfp.com/2020/05/26/hong- ... irus-lull/

99% of all cases in the past 6 weeks in HK were from people returning from overseas.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:57 pm
theKid wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:00 pm
Although continuing to shut the borders will devastate Cambodia just as much, they seem to think that all that hardship in the past few months would have been in vain if they would open up now.
and they are only demanding quarantine for flights where a covid-19 case is detected on arrival.
I don’t believe that is correct. I have also seen the newspaper report that says this but afaik the official requirement is still for everyone to go on 14 day quarantine. Two of my Chinese clients are going through this at the moment.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:04 pm It wont be a handful if they open up, they will return in large numbers.
again i don't agree
we might see larger numbers in the usual high season, but not just yet

the virus might spread more easily in rainy season, who knows
but why take the risk for a trickle of visitors

but as stated, the borders are actually already open, just with sensible requirements
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

3 flights in 3 days. It's getting worse. At lease the Chinese businessmen are still being served well.

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:18 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:04 pm It wont be a handful if they open up, they will return in large numbers.
again i don't agree

but as stated, the borders are actually already open, just with sensible requirements
Sure, there won't be a stampede. But if a trickle come and go relatively unmolested then word will spread. Rainy season may or may not have an effect. Nobody knows, not even the boffins. And Cambodia is not going to find out this year with the current regime.

Those "sensible requirements" are currently ridiculous and far too high for me to contemplate going through. However, come August, I might have changed my tune. And if I get in I might change it again and support your argument that all those pox ridden tourists should have to go through the same '"sensible requirements"!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Phnom Poon wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:18 pm
again i don't agree

What borders are open?
Thailand,Vietnam an Laos are closed except to returning nationals

NO tourists or even businessmen are going to travel if they have to show $50,000 ( $100,000 for Thailand) a covid free test and a Possible 14 day quarantine when they arrive and possible a 14 day quarantine when they return home.

The only ones traveling will be those who got locked out of the countries they were living in.
Hadley enough to stimulate the economy
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

So which airport can you transfer though to get to Phnom Penh at the moment
Singapore, Manila,Hong Kong ?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

atst wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:59 pm So which airport can you transfer though to get to Phnom Penh at the moment
Atm, it doesn’t work.

Singapore airport still closed for transit.
HK open for transit but KA has not resumed flights to PP.
Manila to PP flights do exist but I don’t think you can fly into MNL at the moment.

The people i know who did make it to PP in the last months used the limited but available Seoul connection with Korean. Some barangs were on those flights as well.
My clients are mostly Chinese so they used the relatively frequent GZ or SZ flights.

I keep thinking that one could fly to Jakarta and then to PP as I often see those flights on the arrivals list. Not sure if that would work, but HK to Jakarta still exists for example. So, if you are in the UK you could try London - HK - Jakarta - PP
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

theKid wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:11 pm
atst wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:59 pm So which airport can you transfer though to get to Phnom Penh at the moment
Atm, it doesn’t work.

Singapore airport still closed for transit.
HK open for transit but KA has not resumed flights to PP.
Manila to PP flights do exist but I don’t think you can fly into MNL at the moment.

The people i know who did make it to PP in the last months used the limited but available Seoul connection with Korean. Some barangs were on those flights as well.
My clients are mostly Chinese so they used the relatively frequent GZ or SZ flights.

I keep thinking that one could fly to Jakarta and then to PP as I often see those flights on the arrivals list. Not sure if that would work, but HK to Jakarta still exists for example. So, if you are in the UK you could try London - HK - Jakarta - PP
Thanks, I'm stuck in Australia
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic