Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:48 pm I am trying to get back home; Phnom Penh. I am a refugee in London!

I left PP on February 29th thinking it was going to get hit hard and ended up in Mexico, which was ok when I got there and is now in a terrible state. I left in a big hurry when the borders starting closing and headed back to the UK to be 'safe'. However, since my arrival, the UK has now turned into Leper Island with even the Greeks not wanting us (they'll even welcome the Germans and they f***ing hate the Germans!).

It seems I have become the Grim Reaper, the fourth horseman of the apocalypse, bringing disease, death and poverty wherever I go.

If Cambodia has any sense they would bar me for a year...
You ran for safety and now are begging to be let in again.... The should ban you for life in Cambodia. :stir:
Spoiler:
OK, maybe a 100 day lock down in the UK was enough punishment....
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

DaveG wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:57 pm I think the excess deaths in such a short period of time freaked Governments out
True, which is idiotic when you consider that the old and frail who died from COVID-19 won't die from any other reason later this year. It will be VERY interesting to see how many excess deaths there will be in 2020 as a whole. My guess would be: not that many.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Alex wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:49 pm True, which is idiotic when you consider that the old and frail who died from COVID-19 won't die from any other reason later this year. It will be VERY interesting to see how many excess deaths there will be in 2020 as a whole. My guess would be: not that many.
It would be a lot more difficult to sort out than simply looking at the number of deaths, though. The number of other deaths are going to be way down due to the lockdown. Not a lot of traffic deaths when no one is driving anywhere, etc, etc.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Some good news from the viral epicentre in Italy.

Headline: New coronavirus losing potency, top Italian doctor says
ROME (Reuters) - The new coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor said on Sunday.

“In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy,” said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy’s coronavirus contagion.

“The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago,” he told RAI television.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2370OQ
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

past weeks lots of returning thai's back to Thailand from Europe and South Korea and each plane had 10-14 passengers testing positive to the virus.
Out of the 53 new #COVID19 cases found in #Thailand over the past two weeks, there are 44 Thais who returned from abroad. This is why the borders remain closed and why repatriated Thais have to go into quarantine for 14 days. ‬
As countries open up, expect this to happen more and more and might cause a 2nd lock down
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:11 am Some good news from the viral epicentre in Italy.

ROME (Reuters) - The new coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, a senior Italian doctor said on Sunday.

“In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy,” said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy’s coronavirus contagion.

“The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago,” he told RAI television.
I don't get why people don't see the writing on the wall. Italy went from winter, into spring, and now summer is coming. They can loosen up a lot, as long as they are careful in late autumn and winter, when the virus will become 'potent' again.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:33 am
ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:11 am Some good news from the viral epicentre in Italy.

I don't get why people don't see the writing on the wall. Italy went from winter, into spring, and now summer is coming. They can loosen up a lot, as long as they are careful in late autumn and winter, when the virus will become 'potent' again.
Don't be so sure about that. SARS 1 has virtually disappeared.

Headline: [Arizona] Scientists find new mutation of coronavirus that mirrors a change in the 2003 SARS virus that showed the disease was weakening
Scientists have discovered a unique mutation to coronavirus in Arizona - and it's a pattern that they've seen before.

One of the 382 samples they collected from coronavirus patients in the state was missing a sizeable segment of genetic material.

In the middle and late stages of the SARS epidemic of 2003, this very same kind of deletion started cropping up in patients around the globe.

It's not just any mutation - the change robs the closely related viruses of one of their weapons against the host's immune response, making the infection weaker.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... eaker.html
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Virus update: Latin America cases top 1m as UK, Russia ease lockdowns
published : 1 Jun 2020 at 12:45
writer: AFP

BRASíLIA: Confirmed coronavirus cases in Latin America have surged past one million, while hard-hit Britain and Russia eased lockdowns Monday, despite not having their outbreaks fully under control.

Governments around the world are moving to ease restrictions that have wrecked their economies, even as the number of cases tops 6.1 million and virus deaths exceed 371,000.

With more than half a million known infections, Brazil now has the second-highest caseload in the world, but its anti-lockdown President Jair Bolsonaro again defied social distancing recommendations on Sunday.

Wearing no face mask, the far-right leader met a tightly packed group of supporters in the capital Brasilia as the crowd chanted "Myth! Myth! Myth!" -- echoing his dismissal of the virus threat.

Bolsonaro has been a staunch opponent of lockdowns as a tool for containing the coronavirus, saying they are unnecessary and harmful to the economy, but he has faced intense criticism from worried state authorities and angry citizens.

Despite his skepticism, the virus rages on in Brazil and other parts of South America, with the situation in Chile, Bolivia and Peru also worsening.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19276 ... -lockdowns
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Kammekor wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:53 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:48 pm I am trying to get back home; Phnom Penh. I am a refugee in London!

I left PP on February 29th thinking it was going to get hit hard and ended up in Mexico, which was ok when I got there and is now in a terrible state. I left in a big hurry when the borders starting closing and headed back to the UK to be 'safe'. However, since my arrival, the UK has now turned into Leper Island with even the Greeks not wanting us (they'll even welcome the Germans and they f***ing hate the Germans!).

It seems I have become the Grim Reaper, the fourth horseman of the apocalypse, bringing disease, death and poverty wherever I go.

If Cambodia has any sense they would bar me for a year...
You ran for safety and now are begging to be let in again.... The should ban you for life in Cambodia. :stir:
Spoiler:
OK, maybe a 100 day lock down in the UK was enough punishment....
Having to spend all of April in Thailand (Cambodia is the same) sucked because of the heat. I usually visit the US in April and October to see family and escape the weather.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:11 am Headline: New coronavirus losing potency, top Italian doctor says
Or the virus is just fine but doctors are losing potency and want to wind it down lol.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic