Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by Doc67 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:35 am Coronavirus: Sweeping, strict Manila lockdown ends on June 1, after three months
Metro Manila has been effectively shut off from the rest of the Philippines and the world since March 16, 2020.
May 28, 2020, 5:23 pm SGT
Updated 11 hours ago
MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte announced on Thursday (May 28) that he is lifting one of the strictest and longest lockdowns enforced in South-east Asia, as the Philippines pivots to rebuilding an economy devastated by the coronavirus pandemic.

“Let us move to the so-called new normal. Let’s see what develops ahead,” Mr Duterte said at a meeting of his ministers.

He said this as health officials reported earlier in the day the largest number of new cases reported in a single day since the virus was first detected in the country, and experts warned easing the lockdown is premature as it has not led to a "discernible" drop in infections.

The Health Ministry said in a bulletin 539 new infections and 17 more deaths were recorded, bringing total infections to 15,588. Deaths have reached 921. More than half of the new cases were in Metro Manila.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-as ... r-3-months
Another example of a lockdown, enforced with all of Duerte's charm, which has utterly failed to eradicate or even reduce infection despite the economic damage.

Chart of Philippines daily new infections
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Of course they cannot eradicate the respiratory virus. People were smarter in the past and didn’t lock everyone in for flu or tuberculosis.

If rich western countries can maybe (to be seen) afford being dumb experimentators against nature for a few months, poor hot countries near the equator should have never copied actions of western countries. First, they can’t afford it economically, because people got to eat. Second, in hot countries the virus will have a smaller impact than, for example, malaria. Their diets and lifestyles are different, they are not obese diabetics with high blood pressure there.
Humanitarian disaster is coming.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Could nearly half of those with Covid-19 have no idea they are infected?

This is an interesting short read about the asymptomatic numbers, which were previously thought to be low at the outbreak, similar to the flu at around 5%.

However, as more reliable studies come in this number is looking more like 50%. This make the control of this virus all but impossible and questions whether any vaccine will work as some people who are infected don't even produce antibodies, they just get colonised by the virus and go around spreading it.

It's quite alarming really. It seems that, over time, we are all going to be exposed to this virus and are going to find out, sooner or later, if we are going to be lucky or not. It's time to double down on those diet plans boys and girls!

“It’s mind-blowing,” she says. “Some people are able to be colonised with the virus and not be symptomatic, while others end up with pretty severe illness. I think it’s something to do with differences in immune regulation, but we still haven’t figured out exactly how this is happening.”

But the realisation that asymptomatic people can spread an infection is not completely surprising. For starters, there is the famous early 20th century case of “Typhoid Mary”, a cook who infected 53 people in various households in the US with typhoid fever despite displaying no symptoms herself. In fact, all bacterial, viral and parasitic infections – ranging from malaria to HIV – have a certain proportion of asymptomatic carriers. Research has even shown that at any one time, all of us are infected with between eight and 12 viruses, without showing any symptoms.

Since January, the race has been on to try and identify just how many asymptomatic cases are out there, with varying findings. One study in the Italian town of Vo reported that 43% of the town’s cases of Covid-19 were asymptomatic, while initial reports from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention investigation into the spread of Covid-19 on the Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier in March, suggest that as many as 58% of cases were asymptomatic. Some 48% of the 1,046 cases of Covid-19 on the Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier proved to be asymptomatic while, of the 712 people who tested positive for Covid-19 on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, 46% had no symptoms.

“Almost all evidence seems to point to a proportion of asymptomatic infections of around 40%, with a wide range,” says Houben. “The proportion is also highly variable with age. Nearly all infected children seem to remain asymptomatic, whereas the reverse seems to hold for the elderly.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... e-infected
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

New estimate by CDC reduces COVID-19 death rate to just 0.26% (IFR) from WHO’s 3.4% (CFR)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... arios.html

Like a normal flu as been said all along.

Meanwhile, economies in free fall, millions added to below poverty level, pregnant women going on one bowl of rice a day.
All because a few octogenarians can sit in a wheelchair one year longer.
Will they open economies back quickly based on this data? Unlikely, face saving is more important.

If this major size of fuck-up cannot open eyes and have people exercise more independent thinking vs the old media-fed garbage opinions, i don’t know what can. Well, the media is now on to a new scare-mongering toy busy with riots while people are left to pick up pieces of economies.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

^^

So if mortality rates are 0.26% of those infected are you saying this virus is far more contagious than other flu like viruses..........
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

DaveG wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:21 pm ^^

So if mortality rates are 0.26% of those infected are you saying this virus is far more contagious than other flu like viruses..........
It’s not me saying this.
WHO said this back in march.

Based on that one could estimate that 50 times more people have been infected, but they keep publishing this silly number they detect as the total number of infections.
If it is that contagious as WHO said, then the number of infections cannot be less than those of a seasonal flu which records hundreds of millions globally. You can do the math for mortality rate then, it will be more or less like a flu, maybe a strong strain of flu like that of 2016/17. This has been known since at least March when WHO said about contagiousness.
I am certain many of us have had it already without knowing it or had symptoms of a common cold and were fine after a few days. Pretty sure this does not justify shutting down the planet.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

I think the excess deaths in such a short period of time freaked Governments out, if we look at deaths of the zero to 45 year age group there does not appear to be much of a difference over the last 5 years, it is when we look at older age groups that the problems start.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... 0april2020

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

For me I wish they would release the lockdown and let people take personal responsibility for their own health,
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

DaveG wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:57 pm I think the excess deaths in such a short period of time freaked Governments out, if we look at deaths of the zero to 45 year age group there does not appear to be much of a difference over the last 5 years, it is when we look at older age groups that the problems start.

For me I wish they would release the lockdown and let people take personal responsibility for their own health,
Me too. It's time for this nonsense to stop
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:04 pm
DaveG wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:57 pm I think the excess deaths in such a short period of time freaked Governments out, if we look at deaths of the zero to 45 year age group there does not appear to be much of a difference over the last 5 years, it is when we look at older age groups that the problems start.

It will stop, large areas going into summer.

Just make sure you're in the southern hemisphere or in the tropics in October / November to sit out the second wave. And don't go home. Prepare to spend a few months overseas.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:30 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:04 pm

It will stop, large areas going into summer.

Just make sure you're in the southern hemisphere or in the tropics in October / November to sit out the second wave. And don't go home. Prepare to spend a few months overseas.
I am trying to get back home; Phnom Penh. I am a refugee in London!

I left PP on February 29th thinking it was going to get hit hard and ended up in Mexico, which was ok when I got there and is now in a terrible state. I left in a big hurry when the borders starting closing and headed back to the UK to be 'safe'. However, since my arrival, the UK has now turned into Leper Island with even the Greeks not wanting us (they'll even welcome the Germans and they f***ing hate the Germans!).

It seems I have become the Grim Reaper, the fourth horseman of the apocalypse, bringing disease, death and poverty wherever I go.

If Cambodia has any sense they would bar me for a year...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic