Biting the Dust in Cambodia (Parts 1,2 & 3)

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Biting the Dust in Cambodia (Parts 1,2 & 3)

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Many of the streets in Phnom Penh were unpaved and badly trashed

By Jim Mielke
May 24, 2020

Of course, it was prudent, especially after dark, to carry a readily accessible $20 bill to hand off in a hurry if confronted by armed robbers roaming the streets.

December 1996:“A weekend retreat — traveling three hours by convoy for safety, radios in each of the three cars and along a good, tar-sealed road (which passes through Pol Pot territory – and a popular kidnapping area lined on either side with mine fields) brings us to some very pleasant beaches along Cambodia’s southern coast. Then, during a morning jog along the beach, someone discovered a freshly killed, bloody corpse (probably a smuggler) the day we left the resort town Kompong Som. A stark reminder that we are still in Cambodia – where at times life can seem cheap, and security must be taken seriously.”

As UNICEF’s Project Officer for STD/HIV/AIDS, I was responsible for the planning, development and management of technical and financial assistance on all aspects of Project implementation to establish Cambodia’s component of UNICEF’s Mekong Region STD/HIV/AIDS Project.

A swim each evening at the International Youth Club pool was refreshing and helped ease the strain, followed by a bowl of noodle soup from my favorite street vendor and a loaf of hot, crispy French bread from the ‘Nom Pang’ (bread) vendor whose ‘Pang Pang’ cries echoed through the streets as he peddled his bike through the night.

Of course, a big challenge was simply managing the energy drain and overall depressing nature of the place. Rampant corruption, civil war and subsequent political purges, AIDS, poor illiterate peasants, beggars, amputees, child prostitution, orphans – it was going to take time to recover from such horrific trauma and suffering.

full http://www.hawaiireporter.com/biting-th ... -part-one/
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Biting the Dust in Cambodia (Part One)

Empowering young people through Life Skills education

By Jim Mielke -
May 27, 2020

Biting the Dust in Cambodia (Part Two)

On one occasion, our popular film star ‘model citizen’ disappeared with the ‘beer girl’ actress after the TV spot filming was over. We could only hope they were using condoms!

During the months leading up to the fighting in July you could feel the increasing tension in the air. As usual, either utter doldrums of boredom in the blazing heat, with the usual annoyances, or life would suddenly get quite thrilling – as we listened intently for the steady bursting of shells. The situation was the worst it had been in some time.

All of the foreign nationals were eventually evacuated from the country – except the UN. We had to stay. To make matters worse, both of my passports – diplomatic and USA national – were in government offices getting visas renewed when all this happened, so even if I could have left the country, I couldn’t travel anywhere. So we waited at home – shelling all day. My landlord’s family stayed too, and was wonderfully comforting with food and mutual support throughout.

Cambodian women are especially vulnerable to HIV, in part due to cultural norms that tolerate men who seek sex outside of marriage and return home to have unprotected sex with their wives. Although the country’s epidemic was largely male-driven, it was increasingly infecting more women, with more than half of the new infections among women, and with implications for increased mother-to-child transmission of the virus.

full http://www.hawaiireporter.com/biting-th ... -part-two/
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

did you write these? Are you Jim?
Still here, in country...
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Ravensnest wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:06 pm did you write these? Are you Jim?
No, I'm not Jim. Jim appears to be a reasonably educated/intelligent man, with far superior grammar.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

By Jim Mielke -
May 30, 2020

Biting the Dust in Cambodia (Part Three)

Then there was the time I walked into my apartment and found a strange girl asleep in my bed.

The trip with the Royal Cambodian Navy and the WHO Malaria Team was up-lifting in a number of ways. A five hour voyage to an off-shore island on a comfortable Naval battleship, hosted by the fine crew and their impeccable leadership. In a flawless white uniform, the Cambodian Admiral embodied honor, responsibility, and respect.

So, I offered her a glass of water, and again tried my limited Khmer for some small talk before ushering her to the door and bidding her farewell – and again, thought nothing more of this. After all, I was feeling miserable and just wanted a nap before returning to the office. So it came as a complete surprise when arriving home that night to find her fast asleep in my bed – wearing my tee shirt and gym shorts, her long black hair spilling over the pillow she clutched.

So we made a deal – she could be my housekeeper and do the marketing in return for room and board, as long as she was looking for a new job. Vany also became my Khmer language tutor, and stayed with me for the remainder of my time in Cambodia. The Mekong Project was up and running and my contract with UNICEF was soon coming to a close. But before I left Phnom Penh, Vany found a job in town and moved back in with her sister.

full http://www.hawaiireporter.com/biting-th ... art-three/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic