Recommended MOVIES

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: best foreign language film you've watched recently

Post by fazur »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:15 pm Image

excellent film!
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Re: best foreign language film you've watched recently

Post by Foreigner »

fazur wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:58 pm remarkable film

In terms of French films, long time since I watched it, but this is good:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_Pool_(2003_film)

Am currently watching a series called Into the Night on Netflix, which is half French half English (Belgian made). So far it's bloody excellent. I usually find that when you watch these tv series backtoback you notice all kinds of plot and character anomalies, and the whole thing seems ridiculous (eg line of duty, white lines, money heist). None of that in this, it's just bloody good tv. I think in general good entertainment seems to be diversifying from the traditional base of UK/US which can only be a good thing.

In terms of movies, I want to watch that Train to Busan, but not had chance yet. Will keep an eye on this thread for good recommendations (esp those available on Netflix).
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Recommended MOVIES

Post by fazur »

surprisingly good

fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

I watched The Platform. A very brutal and heavy-handed construct for cliched metaphors, it works precisely because it revels in its conspicuous lack of subtelty. Lots of fun, for one of those trashy Netflix films. Netflix imo is redesigning what it means to be B-grade, and taking cinema and TV to all new levels of mediocrity. Can't stand it, don't get the hype.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

I watched The Vast of Night and it was damn good. Every once in a while, there is a great movie made with only a 1 million dollar budget. This is one of those and it was inspired by 2 true stories.

What makes it truly neat to me is that back in the 1950s there were stories from military members about crafts that flew thousands of feet higher than anything human-made and they were discredited as being crazy. Now, in the last 2 years, the US military has officially released this same information. Objects recorded on ground radar thousands of feet above our aircraft ceiling that every once in a while descend to heights our planes can fly.

Military men also reported back then of being called into work with others that they had never seen before and being taken to secret places to pick up working on a project where the previous group stopped. Then, when their part was finished, they would be released from that detail and the next group from a different part of the country would come in to continue working on the same project. Group after group, working small steps each in a big project until it was completed. This is still done today to keep top-secret projects a secret. The grunt work is kept compartmentalized so grunts doing the labor work do not learn a lot of details and the project remains a secret, for the most part. However, over years, some of these people would bump into others they worked with here or there and they would work out details and put information together.

I find it fascinating that things people were brave enough to come out and say 50 years ago and were looked at as being crazy for what they were telling us is now coming to light and they were telling the truth. I could not imagine being in those people's shoes and their lives being ruined for telling the truth.
Still here, in country...
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Uncut Gems was cool. Hectic, chaotic type of thriller.
Foreigner
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Foreigner »

I enjoyed this:

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

a good doc about one of America's bad guys an his life from crime to prison to success an who has committed his life to passing it forward :thumb:

watch it here
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/inm ... 36216.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

WILD TALES (2014)
A different anthology from Argentina. First of 6 shorts:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic