Parents of CIA International School Demand Fee Reduction

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Parents of CIA International School Demand Fee Reduction

Post by Electric Earth »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:03 am ACE still has an native English speaker giving the on-line classes. He is excellent just like the former teacher who was a newspaper editor. He watches all the students continuously and immediately helps any with difficulties. Missus is being educationally challenged like never before. Wonderful.

I would hope the smart schools are doing like ACE.
That's really good to hear. I've heard they have a pretty good handle on it. In general, from my somewhat limited experience, they do tend to be one of the better schools. They already have some experience with online teaching, and I know their CELTA trainers have knowledge of online teaching, so I bet those resources help.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

partner's buddy told me cia is resuming on 15th may
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

fazur wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:57 am partner's buddy told me cia is resuming on 15th may
I wasnt gonna post about it because wasn't sure but a friend of mine who also teaches at one of the schools said he heard same. that returning at some point in May. Which of course leads me back to thinking or hoping they open for USA citizens... that might be a stretch considering how many cases we have here..
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

i hope so bcoz im looking for a freezer about my partners size after a month of this shit
Crackers
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Crackers »

Schools are not currently preparing for a May return. They will reopen when the government announces they can.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BklynBoy wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:03 am
fazur wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:57 am partner's buddy told me cia is resuming on 15th may
I wasnt gonna post about it because wasn't sure but a friend of mine who also teaches at one of the schools said he heard same. that returning at some point in May. Which of course leads me back to thinking or hoping they open for USA citizens... that might be a stretch considering how many cases we have here..
Most governments will use a three week time-frame between the first measure and the next, so they can see what's happening.
I don't seen Cambodia opening up anytime soon.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

Not all schools have made staff or salary cuts. We are still working full time and on full salary, doing online work at the school-no cuts to teaching staff numbers. The owner has told me the situation will remain the same until the end of the academic year on June 30th. and she is prepared to maintain those standards till September or later, if necessary. We're lucky, I guess.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

i can't access the cia website, is it down?

gilmore, where do you work?

my partner needs to work there, lol

not desperate but a few more months of this and we will be
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Cambo Dear wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:30 pm You're lucky that this is an option for you. Very few Cambodians would be able to homeschool their kids in English. This will be an interesting one to watch.
Interesting is.....

The home schooling thing is currently being done remotely from 6000miles away, by messenger video link for us. On the upside, the poor English of some of the remaining flipping teachers in their Facebook video lessons does not seem to be rubbing off.
My blood pressure meanwhile is probably not ideal.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

School fees sparks new protest in capital
28 May 2020
Parents and guardians of students enrolled in the capital’s CIA First International School are planning to submit a petition to Prime Minister HE to demand a 35 percent reduction in school fees due to the implementation of remote learning during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The announcement to submit a petition came today as around 50 people representing over 500 parents and guardians of pupils at the school staged a protest in front of the school in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district.

Long Phalla, a parent present at the protest said that this is the third protest being held at the school to request the school leaders for a 35-percent discount in fees for Grades 1 to 12.

The group also asked school leaders to suspend online learning for all kindergarten pupils from April until a new notice is made by the Ministry of Education to allow students to return to school.

According to the parents and guardians of students, they are paying fees ranging from $4,000 to $7800 per year, from kindergarten through to grade 12.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50728032/s ... n-capital/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic