LTE in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: LTE in Phnom Penh

Post by General Mackevili »

Jacobincambodia wrote:Can you do a speedtest? I'd love to see the results. I hear pretty mixed reviews about OpenNet. They offer such cheap packages, so it's hard for me to believe it's reliable, stable and "get your paid-for speed" internet. But I'm open!
OpenNet is a surprisingly good deal.

Most people I've talked to about it, including me, have gotten faster speeds than they paid for.

#ThrowBack

I was paying at least $30 a month for a 128Kbps unlimited connection in Phnom Penh back in 2010.

I'd pick a movie to download and it would be ready to watch the following evening.

It was actually faster to go to Sorya Shopping Center and buy the bootleg DVD's. I'll tell my grandkids this story...
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

General Mackevili wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:Can you do a speedtest? I'd love to see the results. I hear pretty mixed reviews about OpenNet. They offer such cheap packages, so it's hard for me to believe it's reliable, stable and "get your paid-for speed" internet. But I'm open!

Most people I've talked to about it, including me, have gotten faster speeds than they paid for.

#ThrowBack

I was paying at least $30 a month for a 128Kbps unlimited connection in Phnom Penh back in 2010.

I'd pick a movie to download and it would be ready to watch the following evening.

It was actually faster to go to Sorya Shopping Center and buy the bootleg DVD's. I'll tell my grandkids this story...
Online 1mb/s adsl circa 2007 ~$440/month + VAT
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

And now I get about 40Mbps at home for free here in Saudi. And there are so many Pirate Bay mirrors online these days that I don't even need to use a VPN.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Both Digi and OpenNet openly market their double/tripple speeds at night.

Digi does sometimes open up on torrents for me during the day, but every night at 11pm until 7am my Digi tripple in speed.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Digg3r wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:

#ThrowBack

Cost to use an Internet cafe 1999 = $8/hr.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

Username Taken wrote:
Digg3r wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:

#ThrowBack

Whoa!! Really?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Jacobincambodia wrote:
Username Taken wrote:
Digg3r wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:

Whoa!! Really?
Yes, really. But that was in Sihanoukville when I made my very first email account.
Maybe, Garry Crabtree has an idea of prices in PP at the time.

* Paging Garry Crabtree *
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Not sure what the exact price was but I didn't think it was that much.

At the time there was quite a few internet cafes especially near the riverfront so I think competition keep the prices down.
I do remember trying to make an international call from one once and it was something like 5$ a minute. That was for a VOIP which was quite new at the time, but still cheaper than the normal landlines.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Actually, I once got thrown out of an internet café and the owner had the cheek to call me a thief.

Bong, I was only browsing.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic