Bent Out of Shape

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Bent Out of Shape

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Username Taken wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:18 pm You could work online. Then you could be anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.

- youtuber
I'm seriously considering this option right now to the point of having logo, intro video cut and a few episodes laid out. In my efforts to try and understand how soon one can expect to generate enough of an income to live in SEA, I came to the conclusion in a best case scenario it would take me a year. The time frame would vary person to person of course, but, well, I think video making would have to be something you really enjoy doing to start, and you'd need a little financial cushion to see you through.

Rave, do you speak khmer?
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Outside of English teaching, I think the job market is pretty rough for expats. Not that you couldn't get hired but the wages would be pretty poor. There are certainly exceptions but those positions are highly sought after.

I would look at MNC's and NGO's, after checking out the online teaching option. Sounds like online teaching can even lead to better compensation relative to what these local schools provide, try it out and tell the school to stuff it.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I know people who work in all kinds of fields. Don't limit yourself as others have said. Also, keep up the positive vibes. A lot of people are hurting because of this, so you're not alone. Just tighten the belt (monetarily speaking) and be creative/fluid.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Username Taken wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:18 pm You could work online. Then you could be anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.
- teaching
- IT consultant
- content writer
- blogger/affiliate marketing
- youtuber
<more>
Making money at any of the above (outside teaching online or as an IT consultant if u have good contacts) could take years to get to the point ur making enough to live on.

I've been doing affiliate marketing since 99, ( from being an affiliate to a consultant to designing affiliate programs-i bult the first agoda affiliate program-) in the early 2000, it was easy as an affiliate, (with the right products ) to make a couple of grand a week but now......
same goes for you tuber's , "Influencer's' " Bloggers and such
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

All great tips, thanks everyone.

I'm familiar with how to exponentially increase your youtube subscribers with almost no videos/content. But your video content has to get lots of views to hit their algorithm to make money. It is difficult to do unless you have a truly unique situation. I was helping a friend launch his youtube channel and he moved above Tiger bar on 136 to record 24/7 off his balcony and we were going to interview bar girls. 3 days later the bars shut down due to coronavirus, bad luck.

I know I'm not limited to just teaching, but I'm not sure what fields would be open to someone who can hardly speak any Khmer.

I believe online teaching is flooded currently but I'll be on the hunt tomorrow.
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:27 pm I've had the good experience of submitting a cv to companies that I looked at, but who were not advertising anything for myself, being called to interview and having a role created for me.

Google, glassdoor and a number of agencies in PP should be starting points.
I tried to message you for more info but I think you have disabled that feature? I was curious to learn more info from you. If these were random companies you submitted your CV to? Your good results were in Cambodia?

thanks
Last edited by Ravensnest on Wed May 27, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still here, in country...
MERICAN
Tourist
United States of America

Post by MERICAN »

There is a bar named Tiger bar 136?

LMAO
Gonna have to check it out.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Ravensnest wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:35 pm What types of jobs are available here to foreigners besides teaching that pay well?

I have an excellent CV. Skills ranging from management, IT, sales, and Teaching. I'm currently a licensed (in the US) CnP insurance agent (useless here). Never arrested, etc.
managment, ok if your khmer is good
forget IT unless you have very advanced skills
companies get locals with adequate skills to do your job for less than half of what youd ask
sales, try real estate IF you can speak khmer and chinese
teaching depends on your degree and subject but quiet now
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Ravensnest wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:35 pm Last month, on our actual payday, my school announced we were not getting paid our normal salary. Only 50% and you are not getting paid today. It will be in 3 days.

Today again is our payday, they announce we are not getting 50%. It's only 40% of our Salary. Oh- and you will get it tomorrow. No apology, no explanation, nothing. The pay period closed almost 2 weeks ago and yet they gave no advanced notification or anything.
And you expat teachers are just accepting all this without challenge?
You feel you have no rights, no power?

Astonishingly docility. Astonishing lack of professional responsibility - to yourselves.
No wonder this has happened.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic