Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by God'sGift »

no bars, nightclubs etc ... is there actually any purpose for a sane person to visit Pattaya?
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:45 am
hunter8 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:49 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:01 pm thinking of traveling to Thailand,
my suggestion
WAIT and its not going to happen anytime soon
They seem persistant in talking about the “new normal”. Well, there is nothing normal about it. They won’t see many tourists if they insist and enforce this “new normal”. Tourists will go to the countries that restore the “old normal” or should i leave out the “old” as redundant.

Thailand had a head start of decades on the other tourist destinations but not any more. Yes, they got a better infrastructure but tourists will not want to be tracked like criminals and would rather go to countries that will operate more or less freely as before. There will be some for sure. The “new normal” is all about totalitarian control, even Chinese tourists will not like that treatment. No amount of Thai entertainments can change this fact, if they even allow those entertainments to open.
Spot on and rhere is definately something going on over and above Covid induced restrictions. Saw it again yesterdsy, a coule of bus loads of military/poloce personal parked up at a hotel along Jomtien beach road, There have been related vehicles coming and going on at that hotel for the last couple of weeks and a high securitg presence in the forecourt
Yup, that bit of speechifying by the Deputy Commander in the vid above and twisting and turning by Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin justifying the state of emergency is not about the virus, it's about something much more threatening to the Greedmonsters' way of life.

The new normal (hate this phrase): There's no such thing as popping into a 7-11 a minute for a bottle of water. Mask on, temp gun aimed and fired, spritzing of sanitizer, set phone to take QR code (I do not), set pen to paper for name, phone number, time in AND out. Etc. etc. And that's at every big name shop. At malls, you get shot, spritzed and logged at the main entrance and again at the supermarket and shops inside. Welcome to the Land of SS.
Longhaul12
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Longhaul12 »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:37 pm
Longhaul12 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:33 pm Thailand is definitely becoming a less and less attractive option. I was denied boarding a Thai airways flight from Vientiane in January for not having 20,000 baht cash and an onward flight. Mind you have flown with them form Aus 4-5 times previously and this was never requested. Safe to say won’t be using them again.

With these new requirements I think I’ll be going elsewhere. Not keen to jump through their hoops! I think many others may take a similar line
less and less attractive for who? Before the virus, 99.999999% of the 35 million +visitors had zero problems

This has been on the books for years and is seldom enforced UNLESS you have had to many thai free visa exempt entries and tourist visas and they suspect your working or you were dressed like a pig

so tell us what it was :stir:
Less and less attractive to the droves of people complaining about the rules and restrictions, as is evident in most forums. Also less attractive to other residents of cities talking about the endless checks and tracking.

Don’t think it was the way I was dressed, have never had a problem anywhere else. Had been twice in the past year, clearly not working. But I was subject to a barrage of all different questions like it was an interrogation. Provided them 4 different cards all with available funds. I believe it was nothing more than a power trip, I broke my phone and couldn’t provide booking confirmations.

Either way. Not the most pleasant travel experience, so back to my point which perhaps you missed. This type of treatment PLUS all the new hoops they want you to jump through. Makes it less desirable to travel.

Dunno why I’m even responding, I forgot, you already know everything :D :D
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

God'sGift wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:39 pm no bars, nightclubs etc ... is there actually any purpose for a sane person to visit Pattaya?
Plenty of starving freelancers?
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

God'sGift wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:39 pm no bars, nightclubs etc ... is there actually any purpose for a sane person to visit Pattaya?
As much as i love go-go bars (no scheduled date for opening), i love freedom more. Luckily, there will be countries that will not try to implement QR-codes and other silly restrictions, because they can’t afford it or population is not so docile, whatever the reason, this is where tourists will go.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I read somewhere some rare sea life returned to the shores. :stir:
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Kammekor wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:32 pm
I read somewhere some rare sea life returned to the shores. :stir:
True.....

Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

One of the few if not only thing I'm enjoying about the current situation is the calm and tranquility, not something you'd ever associate with the city. What a difference in air quality without the polluting tour buses, the crystal clear views overlooking the town from high vantage points and the pleasant exercise walk along the beachside early morning or at sundown. It will never be like this again so that aspect is to be savoured.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:45 am
hunter8 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:49 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:01 pm thinking of traveling to Thailand,
my suggestion
WAIT and its not going to happen anytime soon
They seem persistant in talking about the “new normal”. Well, there is nothing normal about it. They won’t see many tourists if they insist and enforce this “new normal”. Tourists will go to the countries that restore the “old normal” or should i leave out the “old” as redundant.

Thailand had a head start of decades on the other tourist destinations but not any more. Yes, they got a better infrastructure but tourists will not want to be tracked like criminals and would rather go to countries that will operate more or less freely as before. There will be some for sure. The “new normal” is all about totalitarian control, even Chinese tourists will not like that treatment. No amount of Thai entertainments can change this fact, if they even allow those entertainments to open.
Spot on and rhere is definately something going on over and above Covid induced restrictions. Saw it again yesterdsy, a coule of bus loads of military/poloce personal parked up at a hotel along Jomtien beach road, There have been related vehicles coming and going on at that hotel for the last couple of weeks and a high securitg presence in the forecourt
Um, funny if I want some lowdown news about my neighborhood around Pattaya I come to CEO... Any further on the military floating around Jomtien?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Didn't the authorities years ago want to clean the place up from sex and debauchery and make it a family friendly tourist destination :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic