Traveling in Times of Coronavirus

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Longhaul12
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Traveling in Times of Coronavirus

Post by Longhaul12 »

As far as I know Australia is allowing people in if they can find a flight, they are then subject to quarantine.
As far as going overseas is concerned, even if places are open we are being forced to remain within our borders, with no clear end or dates in sight of when the border will be opened. Even tho we have a small amount of cases. It’s mental!

Can’t even leave my state let alone the country. And some of the worlds hardest hit places are open to tourism. What am I missing?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

atst wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:11 am Been looking at Manila airport but confused about whether or not you can transit though it, does anyone have any updates about Manila airport?
All I know about Manila airport is that it has always been a shitty experience with very long queues. I can only imagine it will be a terrible experience if they have to put in more barriers and social distancing and health checks. I honestly don't think the building is big enough to allow 2 metre distancing and the queues will start in the street.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Longhaul12 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:02 pm As far as I know Australia is allowing people in if they can find a flight, they are then subject to quarantine.
As far as going overseas is concerned, even if places are open we are being forced to remain within our borders, with no clear end or dates in sight of when the border will be opened. Even tho we have a small amount of cases. It’s mental!

Can’t even leave my state let alone the country. And some of the worlds hardest hit places are open to tourism. What am I missing?
Pretty sure only Aussie allow in , can't even transfer though airports, probably reason you can't travel overseas is they then need to foot the bill for your isolation on return. If you're stuck in Australia your allowed to travel overseas to return home if you live overseas just need to let them know and get the ok on smart traveler. Then you need to find a flight
Oh and you need to social distance everywhere except now when on a Qantas flight, go figure
What are you missing, nothing it's the nanny state after all. Hopefully things will change soon and in a few years well all have something to talk about over a beer or two
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

atst wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:07 am
Longhaul12 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:02 pm As far as I know Australia is allowing people in if they can find a flight, they are then subject to quarantine.

Pretty sure only Aussie allow in , can't even transfer though airports, probably reason you can't travel overseas is they then need to foot the bill for your isolation on return. If you're stuck in Australia your allowed to travel overseas to return home if you live overseas just need to let them know and get the ok on smart traveler. Then you need to find a flight
Oh and you need to social distance everywhere except now when on a Qantas flight, go figure
What are you missing, nothing it's the nanny state after all. Hopefully things will change soon and in a few years well all have something to talk about over a beer or two
I really don't know mate this pandemic has got me thinking my future isn't in this country.
Longhaul12
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Longhaul12 »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:11 am
atst wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:07 am

I really don't know mate this pandemic has got me thinking my future isn't in this country.
Thinking the same mate, have witnessed a lot of change within my lifetime, but it doesn’t even resemble the place my parents describe to me of when they grew up. Sad reality!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

There's no details but Vietnam may soon allow international flights into the country. Soonish. Maybe.

At the same time, last night VN news sites reported that Vietnam has added dozens of countries to its online e-visa ordering platform, adding up to 80 nationalities. Starts online July 1.

Headline: Some Vietnam international air services likely to be reopened
HCMC – The Ministry of Transport has told the Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam (CAAV) to consider reopening some international air routes to meet travel demand and resume trade activities.

The authority was asked to submit a report on the resumption of some international air services to the ministry prior to June 10, Thanh Nien [Vietnamese only] newspaper reported.
Headline: Vietnam grants e-visas for citizens from 80 countries
https://en.vietnamplus.vn/vietnam-grant ... 173953.vnp

Most of your favourite nations are on the list here: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn ... 48-p2.html

Come on Viet Nam!!! Or Cambodia! I'm hoping Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam agree on a local flight bubble, just like what's happening in Eastern Europe. But Thailand, where I'm stuck, could be a delaying factor. Bloody dolts are talking like keeping the airports closed until August or even later. Somehow I doubt they'll wait that long.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I am noticing that many major airlines are just quoting full economy fares but much cheaper options are available through agents. Philippines Airlines are a good example.

I am wondering if the agents are just taking your money and worrying about it later, or the major airlines only want full fare flexible direct sales, which they can just refund if the flight gets cancelled, and all the non-flexible non-refundable ones have be purchased through agents; that way the airlines aren't overwhelmed with refund requests they have to then refuse if the flights get cancelled. In other words they are letting someone else deal with all the tears and reputational damage.

I am asking as I usually buy direct but it is looking impossible to do without paying through the nose.

Any thoughts?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Doc67 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:06 pm
I am wondering if the agents are just taking your money and worrying about it later,
Any thoughts?
Cash flow is almost impossible to generate for many in the travel sector right now so I'd imagine agents would be desperate to get a hold of some folding stuff any way they can to keep their doors open. Flight Centre Australia recently endured massive public backlash after trying to charge exorbitant cancellation fees ($300) on tickets when it was impossible for people to fly - Flight Centre understood they had to push the ethical envelope to keep cash coming in, in this case it did more PR harm than good.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Yesterday I nearly booked a flight to PP with Singapore airlines but thought I'd wait a day or two, today I look no Singapore airlines flights at all.
Saved myself a voucher
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I just looked at a one way flight from London to Mexico City for August (I'm losing all confidence in Cambodia right now).

AeroMexico

August 12th
One way…..£1503

Return....£650

What's all that about??
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic