Those Living Cheaply Under a Grand

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Those Living Cheaply Under a Grand

Post by EdinWigan »

Hotdigr wrote:G'day Alex. Yeah, well, you have to learn and be willing to change (dare I say "grow up"lol) I s'pose. K440 was my first experience of a forum and at times I let people get under my skin when I shouldn't have. I learnt that, particularly after meeting one ugly bastard who I now consider a good mate, peoples on line persona can be quite different from their actual real life personality and some bloody good people come across as right twats and I'm sure on occasion the opposite is true too! Also the fact that I am so happy and contented now means I'm able to shrug stuff off that maybe would have got to me in the past.
Dags, I'm hardly a prince mate, but some where along the line I lucked out this time! But I'm not going to cruel it by trying to dissect the why's and wherefores too much, I'm just going to enjoy it while I have it ;)
Thanks Mrs. Stroppy, I appreciate the good wishes. Take care.
I totally agree and have posted much the same under the 'Why bother with all the aliases?' so I better not repeat myself here but I totally agree.
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

When I first came to Cambodia I had a monthly income from Australia of about US$750. That was enough for a reasonable apartment, Western food diet, and shiteloads of beer and the occasional short term relationship.

Over the years I managed to increase on that by many times but my quality of life never improved. The life of my ex partner and her family most definitely got better though...
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

flying chicken wrote: Fuck, this was the only time I see the username Alex showing care to anybody.
Flying Chicken, while I'm at it, it's nice to see you again, too! :beer3:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Hotdigr wrote:Also the fact that I am so happy and contented now means I'm able to shrug stuff off that maybe would have got to me in the past.
Let this lesson be learned by the one-upmanshippers.

There really is an eternal truth in this song:

Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

dagenham wrote:Aint never heard a story like that in nearly 20 years in SE Asia. She's obviously a keeper. And apparently you're a prince so there you go. Me? I'm still looking for a gorgeous young coffee-coloured maiden who will be with me for $1.00 a day...been looking for nearly 20 years now...
You're certainly doing something wrong... And have been doing it wrong for 20 years apparently (what's that Einstein quote again...?). I get lot's of girls to pay for my restaurant bills, or at least for their own. Give and take. Some have been well-off (well, middle-class), others simple country girls. Since when does one need to "pay" for a girlfriend? A wife, I can imagine, but a girlfriend or date?!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
dagenham wrote:Aint never heard a story like that in nearly 20 years in SE Asia. She's obviously a keeper. And apparently you're a prince so there you go. Me? I'm still looking for a gorgeous young coffee-coloured maiden who will be with me for $1.00 a day...been looking for nearly 20 years now...
You're certainly doing something wrong... And have been doing it wrong for 20 years apparently (what's that Einstein quote again...?). I get lot's of girls to pay for my restaurant bills, or at least for their own. Give and take. Some have been well-off (well, middle-class), others simple country girls. Since when does one need to "pay" for a girlfriend? A wife, I can imagine, but a girlfriend or date?!
"I get lot's of girls to pay for my restaurant bills"...really now? Hmmm...

Brother, long term every chap pays in the end...save a very minute % who really do "marry up"...all over the planet this holds true...

I want a female native at least 40 years my junior - fluent English, pretty, educated, skilled, a happy orphan, kind, generous, clever, well read...I'm still looking...I would willing to up the ante to $5,000 riel a day instead of 4,000 riel a day...

Of course, I'll be dead before I find my ideal bird...but having fun with all the "test-driving" and all...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I live rurally in Kampong Cham province and $400/per month supports our family of four. There is of course pressure from others, especially Cambodian villagers to up our visible wealth to a "kalip" level. We have all that we need especially love. We own the land and the house we live in,so that helps lower the cost of living. There is no electricity and hence no karaoke or TV to zombify
my children. The main drawback is the poor level of education at the village level, but we home school in addition. I am happy to say that our entire family is bilingual and we get along well with all the villagers. I just don''t need things to make me happy nor social status to feel that I am valuable. We have been living this way for 11 years.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Good on you lok ta. How far from the provincial capital are you? Education would be my main concern, but I think as a parent one could supplement enough to "make up the difference" during grade school.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

taabarang wrote:I live rurally in Kampong Cham province and $400/per month supports our family of four. There is of course pressure from others, especially Cambodian villagers to up our visible wealth to a "kalip" level. We have all that we need especially love. We own the land and the house we live in,so that helps lower the cost of living. There is no electricity and hence no karaoke or TV to zombify
my children. The main drawback is the poor level of education at the village level, but we home school in addition. I am happy to say that our entire family is bilingual and we get along well with all the villagers. I just don''t need things to make me happy nor social status to feel that I am valuable. We have been living this way for 11 years.
Damn, that is awesome. I want to hear a bit more of your story to be honest. Where are you from? Is your significant other Khmer? Why Kampong Cham? Have you lived in rural KPC for 11 years, or just that way of life?
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yes Ta- do tell! good post!
Locked Previous topicNext topic