Slow YouTube complaints (from the wife)

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Revbo n Cambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Slow YouTube complaints (from the wife)

Post by Revbo n Cambo »

Up here in Kampong Thom, we have the fiber optic line service, we normally get about 18m on the download and 8 to 10 on the upload side. We live about 2 k outside of the city, i was shocked we could even get the fiber service. I agree the OpenNet internet service as been HORRIBLE for about 2 weeks, but mostly in the evening, so bad won't even load gmail, seems better today.
thanks, just my 2 cents
:beer:
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Let us know how that service call works out for your wife! :mrgreen:

We are all suffering from it. It's damn awful. If my home access is slow, so is my smart cell service. So I usually cannot share a hotspot. Although I could not believe I reached this speed the other night!

Still here, in country...
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Revbo n Cambo wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:25 pm Up here in Kampong Thom, we have the fiber optic line service, we normally get about 18m on the download and 8 to 10 on the upload side. We live about 2 k outside of the city, i was shocked we could even get the fiber service. I agree the OpenNet internet service as been HORRIBLE for about 2 weeks, but mostly in the evening, so bad won't even load gmail, seems better today.
thanks, just my 2 cents
:beer:
I’m also in k.thom and went to pay my bill today at opennet ... forgot to ask why it’s been like that ...

Very slow , not loading well , I wish they had a choice for cable t.v. here like they did in sihanoukville or kampot .

Sure nothing for barangs here
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

My Internet was awful over the weekend so I was racking my brain for a reason and I found that OpenNet external IPs assigned to their customers are on a few blacklists.

https://whatismyipaddress.com

Goto the Black List checker tool and it should already have your IP address in there and hit check. Mine came up as ! on 10 lists!!! out of 80 or so. It is currently on 7 as i forced it to change.
That in itself was a trip down memory lane lol.
C:\>ipconfig /release

goto the properties page for your network adaptor (yeah... that brought back memories)
set a fake IP.. i used 123.123.123.123
hit ok a couple of times to save the new setting... then go back and set it to "Auto" and hit ok a few times.... voila.. new IP.

This forces a new IP as sometimes just releasing won't cut it as the old IP gets reassigned back.
Anyway.. you can, in theory, set your IP manually, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx+1, +2, -1, -2 etc, and try and find one not in use but I haven't gone down that road yet.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

IraHayes wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:01 pm My Internet was awful over the weekend so I was racking my brain for a reason and I found that OpenNet external IPs assigned to their customers are on a few blacklists.
Yes, I found that out, too: OpenNet's IP addresses appear on blacklists.

But, regarding my IP address, I've also found that OpenNet is constantly changing it, already. Every time I check https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup the address is different (and when internet problems arise I tend to do that about every 30 minutes).

I have asked OpenNet what the heck is going on with their so-called 'service', via email (no response) and via telephone (only a stammering operator who obviously doesn't exactly understand the problem).
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I think you'll find that the IPs of all local ISPs are on black lists. Something I looked into a few years ago (work related).
The problem is due to the prevalence of malware on numerous local devices. Lots of spambots.

Keep changing your IP till you find a good one, and keep checking.

Theoretically ISPs can't do anything about malware on the customers device. But I think it's more a case of 'can't be bothered' to do anything.
It is doable, but many ISPs will wring their hands of any responsibility.
I believe that in Australia, if your device is hosting a spambot, your ISP will let you know and the onus is then on you to do something about it, or else they will cut you off.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:54 pm The problems with internet speed seem twofold:

On top of the above my connection is completely lost (the red led on the router, meaning "Loss Of Signal") almost every day the moment a raindrop falls.
That literally means the fibre cable connection from your place has fallen out, is loose or otherwise literally lost its connection. They probably just plugged it back in securely.

I suspect an international submarine cable problem (as alluded to above) because I can get 20 Mbps down/up to Australia, but the US is sucking dogs' balls.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

your explanation to the brains of the house was all wrong, you need to use the tap method eg when one tap is on lots of water pressure but if everyone turns thier taps on at the same time not so much water.good luck
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:24 pm
frizzie77 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:54 pm On top of the above my connection is completely lost (the red led on the router, meaning "Loss Of Signal") almost every day the moment a raindrop falls.
That literally means the fibre cable connection from your place has fallen out, is loose or otherwise literally lost its connection. They probably just plugged it back in securely.
Duh, you know that, I know that, but it seems impossible to get into the brains of the OpenNet 'technicians'.
As reported, I had a full disconnection today at around 2pm, 'technicians' came around, and of course at that moment the connection was restored.
But then, at 7pm, again "Loss of Signal", and again just after rainfall started. I've reported this happening always after rainfall, but they are too lazy or whatever to check the cable.

I'm with the other poster who regrets having renewed with OpenNet, as they are a shitty Internet Provider these days.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

any updates on this? I have the same problem now and they don't seem to be able fix it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic