Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
d.rivers
Tourist

Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

Post by d.rivers »

I'm hearing a lot of different things about entry to Cambodia ATM. The official line is you need insurance cover plus a test within 72 hours of the flight out, then you'll be tested again on arrival and quarantined for 14 days "at a government facility which may be extremely basic", regardless of the test result. On another site I read that you might just be turned back. Not sure what to believe...

Does anyone have any experience / can anyone point me to a reliable source of info on this? I would come out early July if possible, but that means booking things pretty soon. I'd obviously rather not have to do 14 days in a "government facility", but I guess I could hack it if I could then extend my visa and stay for 2-3 months. I would plan on heading up to Siem Reap if that makes any difference. Not sure whether you are quarantined at your final destination or in PP.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’ve already informed missus of me probably missing the eventual embassy interview, and after she gets the visa (fingers crossed), I might have to send my parents to pick her up in Phnom Penh and bring her back.

They also carry Taiwanese passports making it a bit easier to get into Cambodia. Plus being retired, an extra 14 day quarantine ‘vacation’ won’t get them fired from their job (of being retired).

Or maybe not.

Headaches all around.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

d.rivers wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:13 am The official line is you need a visa, insurance cover plus a test within 72 hours of the flight out, then you'll be tested again on arrival and quarantined for 14 days "at a government facility which may be extremely basic" or in home isolation, depending on the assessment made. On another site I read that you might just be turned back. Not sure what to believe...
I added some, this is the official line. You can be denied. I think that's why so few foreigners come in, airlines won't allow them because of the risk of being turned down.

Finding a flight in early July might be a tough task.

If you want to travel to Siem Reap I guess quarantine in government facility in Phnom Penh it is. They won't let you travel half across the country and then stay in a guesthouse.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:53 am
d.rivers wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:13 am The official line is you need a visa, insurance cover plus a test within 72 hours of the flight out, then you'll be tested again on arrival and quarantined for 14 days "at a government facility which may be extremely basic" or in home isolation, depending on the assessment made. On another site I read that you might just be turned back. Not sure what to believe...
I added some, this is the official line. You can be denied. I think that's why so few foreigners come in, airlines won't allow them because of the risk of being turned down.

If you want to travel to Siem Reap I guess quarantine in government facility in Phnom Penh it is. They won't let you travel half across the country and then stay in a guesthouse.
There are flights now you can purchase for July and august. The only thing stopping someone now is the visa. in theory, you can get the medical covid test and health insurance.. both doable
whats not doable is the visa at the moment. at least for USA .. repeating myself but when speaking w Cambodian embassy in D.C. they said to reach out again in 1 or 2 weeks
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 amThere are flights now you can purchase for July and august. The only thing stopping someone now is the visa. in theory, you can get the medical covid test and health insurance.. both doable
whats not doable is the visa at the moment. at least for USA .. repeating myself but when speaking w Cambodian embassy in D.C. they said to reach out again in 1 or 2 weeks
what is the validity period for the test?

do the test now,wont be valid in august surely?
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

I spoke w/ my primary doctor and he said they have rapid tests. ... sorry if wasn't clear. I asked doctor for test info and will take test aug 1st or 2nd because my flight is aug 4th...

but regarding the validity..i mentioned previously..how will immigration know ..if u photoshop dates ?? There is no affiliation between cambodia and USA to confirm that the medical certificate ur giving is correct.. in theory if you did take test already... and cannot for whatever reason take again.. change the dates... just like people do for tefl certificates.. are they gonna call every doctor office .. plus the 11 hour time difference for NYC..
no central database that would have all this medical info

anyway the test coming into cambodia is moot... they testing you again once landing... .. so unsure the exact reason .esp if testing u again when landing but it is what it is
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:53 am

There are flights now you can purchase for July and august. The only thing stopping someone now is the visa. in theory, you can get the medical covid test and health insurance.. both doable
Oh yes, thousands of flights for sale. Maybe the flights will actually leave. My flight from Phnom Penh to Bangkok (12-15 July, Emirates) has been cancelled a few days ago, so I suggest you don't set your hopes too high for flights in July actually leaving.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

fazur wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:26 am
BklynBoy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 amThere are flights now you can purchase for July and august. The only thing stopping someone now is the visa. in theory, you can get the medical covid test and health insurance.. both doable
what is the validity period for the test?

do the test now,wont be valid in august surely?
72 hours before departure.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:42 am I spoke w/ my primary doctor and he said they have rapid tests. ... sorry if wasn't clear. I asked doctor for test info and will take test aug 1st or 2nd because my flight is aug 4th...

but regarding the validity..i mentioned previously..how will immigration know ..if u photoshop dates ?? There is no affiliation between cambodia and USA to confirm that the medical certificate ur giving is correct.. in theory if you did take test already... and cannot for whatever reason take again.. change the dates... just like people do for tefl certificates.. are they gonna call every doctor office .. plus the 11 hour time difference for NYC..
no central database that would have all this medical info

anyway the test coming into cambodia is moot... they testing you again once landing... .. so unsure the exact reason .esp if testing u again when landing but it is what it is
If they don't trust you or your certificate they will simply deny entry. The current rules don't give you the right to enter even if you check all the boxes. Upon arrival they have the right to reconsider and deny you.
Bernie Bro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bernie Bro »

Is there really a scarcity of scheduled flights from the U.S. heading into Phnom Penh? When I Google one way flights into Phnom Penh it seems that they're available every day from any given date in June. Is that just what Google wants to show me? What am I missing here?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic