Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Wuhan lab had bat coronaviruses – but not Covid-19.
The Guardian 08:00 3hr ago

The Chinese virology institute in Wuhan, the city in China at the heart of the coronavirus pandemic, has three live strains of bat coronavirus on-site, but none match the Covid-19 strain, its director has said. The director of the Wuhan Institute of Virology told state broadcaster CGTN that claims by US president Donald Trump that the virus could have leaked from the facility were “pure fabrication”.

In an interview filmed on 13 May but broadcast on Saturday night, Wang Yanyi said the centre had “isolated and obtained some coronaviruses from bats. Now we have three strains of live viruses … But their highest similarity to Sars-CoV-2 only reaches 79.8%.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... -us-summer
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Middle East fears a coronavirus surge amid Eid celebrations
Despite lockdowns and curfews, streets in Jordan and Iran are busy for the end of Ramadan
Michael Safi in Amman and Harriet Sherwood
Sun 24 May 2020 08.04 BST

Outside bakeries in downtown Amman, queues stretched along the street and down the block. Nut retailers were mobbed, and sweet shops were down to their last desserts. It was as if coronavirus had never existed.

The nights before Eid al-Fitr, the festival that ends the fasting month of Ramadan and which began on Sunday at dawn, are always busy. But this year the urgency was greater: Jordanians are celebrating this holiday under three days of full curfew. Everything is closed and nobody is allowed out of their homes for any reason.

“It’s sad, it hurts,” said Mohammad, who runs a sugarcane juice stall. “Normally we’d wake up, take our kids to pray, and visit family and friends. It was cheerful, we felt joy.” This year? “We’ll eat, drink and sleep,” he said. “And we’ll hang around annoying our wives,” said his father, grinning behind him.

Contact with family and friends is part of the festival. “We’ll visit them,” said Abdul Kareem, queuing outside a bakery. “But it’ll be on WhatsApp, Skype, Facebook.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... lebrations
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

phuketrichard wrote:if, when a vaccine is found, is goes without saying it will need be shared with everyone, everywhere
otherwise
Of course it’s going to be shared with everyone...

But it doesn’t mean that Cambodians will be vaccinated first before anyone else.

Everyone will eventually get the vaccine, everywhere.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:36 pm
phuketrichard wrote:if, when a vaccine is found, is goes without saying it will need be shared with everyone, everywhere
otherwise

But it doesn’t mean that Cambodians will be vaccinated first before anyone else.

Except the anti vaccers, they will refuse, then the virus will spread amongst them and eventually they will be removed from the gene pool :stir:
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:13 pm Meanwhile in the USA, for some people, politics is taking precedence over health and safety.

No masks allowed: stores turn customers away in US culture war
Shops around the US make headlines for denying entry to those wearing masks as protesters argue against preventative measures in the name of freedom
Poppy Noor
Last modified on Fri 22 May 2020 23.12 BST

In the last few weeks a spate of American stores have made headlines after putting up signs telling customers who wear masks they will be denied entry. On Thursday, Vice reported on a Kentucky convenience store that put up a sign reading: “NO Face Masks allowed in store. Lower your mask or go somewhere else. Stop listening to [Kentucky governor Andy] Beshear, he’s a dumbass.”

Another sign was posted by a Californian construction store earlier this month encouraging hugs but not masks. In Illinois, a gas station employee who put up a similar sign has since defended herself, arguing that mask-wearing made it hard to differentiate between adults and children when selling booze and cigarettes. [She was fired.]

Meanwhile, Donald Trump finally caved and wore a face mask yesterday – something he didn’t want to “give the press the pleasure of seeing”. But while it is gratifying to see the emperor finally forced to wear clothes, you’ve got to wonder to what extent the virus will spread thanks to the actions of citizens insisting on protecting their “freedom” over the right of others not to get sick.

Anti-lockdown protesters have argued that it is anti-American for the government to curtail people’s freedoms in order to reduce deaths as a result of Covid-19. Meanwhile, store owners tell customers what they can and cannot wear before entering, and customers cough in the faces of workers in the name of freedom.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... face-masks
The smart states made masks mandatory. As for the face coughing, we may get some Darwin Award winners out of this. As in chess, let the pawns go first.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:42 pm Except the anti vaccers, they will refuse, then the virus will spread amongst them and eventually they will be removed from the gene pool :stir:
I’ve been vaccinated against serious diseases in my life, and it’s very helpful to get. But I never was vaccinated against flu and i am not going to take a vaccine voluntarily for this new flu either. If it becomes mandatory for travel, then there is no choice.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I had the vaccines at school in the early 50s, like everybody else, polio, TB, measles. I don't take the yearly flu vaccine as the normal flu is no big thing and i do not want to have excessive vaccines/chemicals in my body. BUT if this virus is still hanging around in a year or two i would probably have the vaccine if they have one as i am in the group of people that it could kill, 70 years old and previous bouts of pneumonia. My guess is that this virus will come and go in many countries over the next few years and we will see thousands of people die from it all over the world every year.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:20 pm I had the vaccines at school in the early 50s, like everybody else, polio, TB, measles. I don't take the yearly flu vaccine as the normal flu is no big thing and i do not want to have excessive vaccines/chemicals in my body. BUT if this virus is still hanging around in a year or two i would probably have the vaccine if they have one as i am in the group of people that it could kill, 70 years old and previous bouts of pneumonia. My guess is that this virus will come and go in many countries over the next few years and we will see thousands of people die from it all over the world every year.
I had the flu vaccine last year for the first time ever. I normally get a stinking cold in the first few months of every year, which I got again in February. But it was significantly milder than normal and lasted only 3 or 4 days rather than the usual 7-9 days. I have no idea if the vaccine helped, but if a COVID vaccine was offered, I’d be one of the first volunteers.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:42 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:36 pm
otherwise

Except the anti vaccers, they will refuse, then the virus will spread amongst them and eventually they will be removed from the gene pool :stir:
Maybe the vaccine will have a side effect like cancer or a mental blockage that will not show up for 10 years , then their gene pool will eventually be removed and the anti- vaccers will live on forever. :stir:
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Don't know if its been posted before but here is a bloke thats trying to find out all the info and put it all down so it's easily understood where we are up to. No bullshit or suggestions, only facts and trying to evaluate them!. A good channel to keep up with.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic