Cambodia announced to ban entries of foreigners from Italy, Germany, Spain, France, and the US (Update: now lifted)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Re: Cambodia announced to ban entries of foreigners from Italy, Germany, Spain, France, and the US (Update: now lifted)

Post by Apollo91881 »

monomial wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:44 pm
Apollo91881 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:43 pm You also may be able to get a rapid test.
I'm checking with my Primary Doctor to see if I get a rapid test (antibody) which takes 30 minutes, can I walk in and get the certification from them.
The requirements are vague, so I'm giving it a try. I could have my test, results and certification done before lunch within 3 days of flying.
Just keep in mind:

An antibody test is a blood test and means that you have already had Covid-19 and are now immune. It must indicate positive for antibodies.
A PCR test is a tissue test or swab, and tests whether you are currently infected. It must indicate negative.

So an antibody test 72 hours before flying makes no sense. You could currently be infected, which is bad. An antibody test should be given 3-4 weeks before flying, and then confirmed again before flying along with zero symptoms. That would be the only way to guarantee you don't currently have the virus, as you have been immune for several weeks before flying, so any infection will have been cleared.

Only a PCR test within 72 hours is sensible.
Understood. I looked again at the test and they state that they only do the PCR, not the antibody test. I didn't know they could give me result with a PCR in 30 minutes, so I'll take it.
I'm asking the Cambodian Embassy as to what constitutes a certification.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodia announced to ban entries of foreigners from Italy, Germany, Spain, France, and the US (Update: now lifted)

Post by BklynBoy »

Doc67 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:14 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 am 22 May 2020
Royal Embassy of Cambodia to the United States of America (Washington D.C.)
https://www.embassyofcambodiadc.org/how ... -visa.html
Is this good or bad news?

Does this mean they are preparing to restart Visa on Arrival or E-visa or does it mean than they are not issuing any visas any time soon, so stop bugging our embassies with annoying phone calls?

And is it worldwide, of just the US? The Cambodia Embassy in London does not even have a functioning website!
Got another email from the cambodian embassy in DC-- I asked about an Ordinary E visa specifically instead of a Tourist visa. Unsure if makes a difference but his response seems positive. That goes w/ what JamesPhaluc email that said check back next week..
---------------------------------------------------------------

Please check back again with us in one or two weeks.

Best regards,

U Hong (Mr.)
Second Secretary / Consular Officer
Royal Embassy of Cambodia in DC
FB: The Royal Embassy of Cambodia to the United States
Evisa site: https://www.evisa.gov.kh/
Tel: 202-726 7742
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Mr. Yuck
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by Mr. Yuck »

So still not clear if they are issuing visas correct?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Mr. Yuck wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:16 am So still not clear if they are issuing visas correct?
I think it's clear that they currently aren't issuing visas. What's not clear is when they will start issuing them again.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

BklynBoy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:45 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:14 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 am 22 May 2020
Royal Embassy of Cambodia to the United States of America (Washington D.C.)
https://www.embassyofcambodiadc.org/how ... -visa.html
Is this good or bad news?

Does this mean they are preparing to restart Visa on Arrival or E-visa or does it mean than they are not issuing any visas any time soon, so stop bugging our embassies with annoying phone calls?

And is it worldwide, of just the US? The Cambodia Embassy in London does not even have a functioning website!
Got another email from the cambodian embassy in DC-- I asked about an Ordinary E visa specifically instead of a Tourist visa. Unsure if makes a difference but his response seems positive. That goes w/ what JamesPhaluc email that said check back next week..
---------------------------------------------------------------

Please check back again with us in one or two weeks.

Best regards,

U Hong (Mr.)
Second Secretary / Consular Officer
Royal Embassy of Cambodia in DC
FB: The Royal Embassy of Cambodia to the United States
Evisa site: https://www.evisa.gov.kh/
Tel: 202-726 7742
I have phoned the embassy in London and got the mobile number for one of the consular guys. I called him at the end of April and he said to call back at the end of May. I suspect many of these embassies have not issued visas for years and probably don't have the paperwork or the stamps and all the bureaucratic know how of doing this task.
Bernie Bro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bernie Bro »

Today I called the embassy/consulate person here in my city (a fairly big West Coast city). He told me to call back the first week of June, and said it shouldn't be a problem. He really stressed the need to make sure I have the test and the health insurance when I go.

I work in a healthcare facility and have already tested positive some moderate time ago and have since recovered. Yet still it's very nerve wracking having the idea that something out of my hands could go wrong along the way. I will try my absolute best to make this happen. Failure along with the cost of two one-way tickets around the world would be devastating, and perhaps soul crushingly horrible.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

so you contacted the consulate in Long beach which doesn't even list any update about covid?

if you have already tested positive and recovered, have you been retested to see what the results are?
be a drag if since you had it you will now always test positive for it..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Bernie Bro wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:36 pm Today I called the embassy/consulate person here in my city (a fairly big West Coast city). He told me to call back the first week of June, and said it shouldn't be a problem. He really stressed the need to make sure I have the test and the health insurance when I go.

I work in a healthcare facility and have already tested positive some moderate time ago and have since recovered. Yet still it's very nerve wracking having the idea that something out of my hands could go wrong along the way. I will try my absolute best to make this happen. Failure along with the cost of two one-way tickets around the world would be devastating, and perhaps soul crushingly horrible.
Unsure if this sounds crazy but once you have your medical form. It seems easy enough to photoshop the dates.. Lets say for some reason not possible to get results back within 3 days. for whatever reason. My date leaving NYC is Tuesday aug 4th. that would mean I need to be tested on Friday aug 1st .. there is a sunday inbetween... who knows. If i were to photoshop the dates of exam ... if all is else is legit.. no red flags.. I dont see them contacting my doctor to confirm my health form
in same breath-- someone if "positive" for the anti bodies.. they can photo shop it and say "unreactive" or " negative".. Its taking a chance .. but just thinking out loud
of course you wouldnt want to do that but if running out of options and still gonna chance it...
Bernie Bro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bernie Bro »

I'm up in the Pacific Northwest here. I haven't retested yet. The nursing homes are extremely screwed up right now (even more than usual, if one could manage to believe that). So I might not be going back to that line of work.

I'm confident I'll get a positive test. More worrisome is getting it in time, and getting the form. I didn't get any paperwork at all when I took the test. Currently I'm uninsured and I owe a good chunk of money to the health organization of my primary care doctor. I think the form would have to be a special request anyways because I don't think it's standard to give you any sort of documentation of your results. It's very difficult to get health care people (or anybody anywhere) to do any specific things for you in a specific way here in America. It's a truly, tragically awful place. It's miserable, hateful, ridiculously aggressive, dysfunctional, totally and completely ass-backwards and you cannot trust anybody or expect them to behave in a decent, reasonable way whatsoever. But I won't get into all that at the moment. Sorry if I'm not allowed to trash talk countries? I see it as a mild, objective description given the reality on the ground.

I'm too honest to get away with doing anything but giving straight forward paperwork. It would show. I'm bad at deceiving people. If the test comes up positive for some reason I'll try to reschedule my flight. Or better yet I will not schedule it until in get either the test, or the results. Same day, 15 minute results would be nice. I don't know if that kind of functionality is within reach of this country here though. I don't usually book flights or fly. So the added unfamiliarity there is another challenge.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Bernie Bro wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:47 pm I'm up in the Pacific Northwest here. I haven't retested yet. The nursing homes are extremely screwed up right now (even more than usual, if one could manage to believe that). So I might not be going back to that line of work.

I'm confident I'll get a positive test. More worrisome is getting it in time, and getting the form. I didn't get any paperwork at all when I took the test. Currently I'm uninsured and I owe a good chunk of money to the health organization of my primary care doctor. I think the form would have to be a special request anyways because I don't think it's standard to give you any sort of documentation of your results. It's very difficult to get health care people (or anybody anywhere) to do any specific things for you in a specific way here in America. It's a truly, tragically awful place. It's miserable, hateful, ridiculously aggressive, dysfunctional, totally and completely ass-backwards and you cannot trust anybody or expect them to behave in a decent, reasonable way whatsoever. But I won't get into all that at the moment. Sorry if I'm not allowed to trash talk countries? I see it as a mild, objective description given the reality on the ground.

I'm too honest to get away with doing anything but giving straight forward paperwork. It would show. I'm bad at deceiving people. If the test comes up positive for some reason I'll try to reschedule my flight. Or better yet I will not schedule it until in get either the test, or the results. Same day, 15 minute results would be nice. I don't know if that kind of functionality is within reach of this country here though. I don't usually book flights or fly. So the added unfamiliarity there is another challenge.
that doesnt seem to make sense. You took the test and they just verbally told you what your results were?? if so, you should be able to ask for paperwork on it. From my experience-- I recently had a general check up and they actually asked when taking my blood if wanted to be tested for covid. I said yes. The doctor did call to give me my results and then asked for paperwork on everything. He said to call the next day which i did and they emailed me my results which included the general blood work and results for "unreactive" covid result
If you have wiggle room for your tip then not as much of an issue.
For myself, I can only travel in summers due to work so i am confined to specific time period

Regarding uninsured-- I think because of this crisis, they offer free testing at some sites. I am in NYC which is number 1 for wrong reasons but assume you can google "free covid exam" and your city/state .. see what pops up
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic