Palm oil causing heart attacks

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Re: Palm oil causing heart attacks

Post by Nicolas »

Doc67 wrote:
Duncan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:02 am
DaveG wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:53 am I'm afraid palm oil is the least of my worries at the moment....Being stuck in this shit hole is far more dangerous

Turn every one of your disadvantages into advantages. You may never get this opportunity again.
Absolutely spot on Duncan.

I am trapped in a pub-free world and decided to make the most of it. For the last 8 weeks have been walking 6-7 miles every day, have drunk less booze in 2 months than I could sink in a long night in PP, and have eaten clean good food, counting every calorie like an obsessed nutter.
As a result I have lost 24lbs a feel so much better. I reckon I have another 6 weeks of this pub free environment and I know I will never get a better chance to have all temptation removed. My new target is a further 12lb loss and that will put me at a weight not seen by me for over 25 years.
Well done mate!
That’s very impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Nicolas wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:58 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote:
Nicolas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:00 pm
Doc67 wrote:
Nicolas wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am If I can add my two cents:

Oils from seeds like corn, soy, raisin, cottonseed, sunflower, etc = BAD

Oils from pulp such as olive, avocado, coconut, palm = GOOD

There’s no such thing as “vegetable oil”, it’s either seed extracted with solvants and acids or pulp pressed from a few fatty fruits.

When it comes to an argument about food, I will always be on the side of the French guy...
Hahahaha
“Vegetable” oils which are seed oils were created to replace whale oil to burn lamps and heavy industry uses. It all started with all the cotton seed worthless byproduct in plantations. When industrials found out how to remove the awful taste and stabilize tte shelf life, it became good enough for human consumption.
Cresco company found a way to flatten these oil molecules by adding atomes of hydrogen, and liquid became solid. Margarine was promoted and we started eating molecules that doesn’t exist in the nature. How bad can that be?
Stay away from seed oils.
Stay away from anything with “hydrogenated” in the ingredients.
Animal fat from lard to butter are healthy, pulp oils like olive, avocado, coconut are good too.

We are brainwashed since early 1900’ to eat what industrials can manufacture on a big scale: seed oils, corn, wheat, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottonseed_oil

While I find your argument to be compelling, and in fact I am trying to find ways to improve my diet, I don't find that you have provided much evidence to support your claim that all seed oils are harmful. Cottonseed oil does seems strange, and you provided some interesting history for this, but not sure about peanut oil or sunflower seed oil? Both of these are edible foods, and in fact highly nutritious ones. I struggle to see why they would be harmful as oils?

Animal fats are high in saturated fat and so are not advisable for that reason. Some of the other ones you mention like avocado I've never seen a commercial frying oil made from avocado, so not much of a choice there...

Anyway, just testing your theory...
Animal fat are high on saturated fat and so what? Animal fat are the healthiest fat. All carnivores on earth eat “saturated” animal fat, so did we until 80 years ago.
Go for it. Animal fat are the healthiest one.

Here’s a few other shocking realities:

We don’t need fiber. 7g or 30g of fiber a day is pure propaganda from the Adventist Church.

Most vegetables and fruits are unhealthy, if not dangerous and harmful. Again, the Adventist Church played a role in this.

You can’t overeat proteins. Why would anyone limit the availability of amino acids in our body that are the building blocks for anticorps and hormones? Amino acids in excess are just flushed out.

Proteins don’t harm kidneys. Kidneys filters 180 liters of blood daily, it’s not 0.2 liter of amino acid that will make a difference.

You don’t need to eat carbs. Like 0 carbs. It’s non essential.
Proteins are essential (9 out of 20 amino acids are). Don’t eat proteins -> you die.
Fat is essential (good old animal fat). Don’t eat fat -> you die.
Carbs are not essential (body produce the small amount needed). You don’t eat carbs -> live long and healthy.
How can the food pyramid puts carbs as 70% of the food we need to eat when it’s non essential?

When it comes to an argument about food, I will always be on the side of the French guy...
There are limits Nicolas.... beer is carbs and clearly essential.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Clearly a valid point, I can only agree

DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Doc67 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:23 pm
DaveG wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:53 am I'm afraid palm oil is the least of my worries at the moment....Being stuck in this shit hole is far more dangerous

Turn every one of your disadvantages into advantages. You may never get this opportunity again.

I am trapped in a pub-free world and decided to make the most of it. For the last 8 weeks have been walking 6-7 miles every day, have drunk less booze in 2 months than I could sink in a long night in PP, and have eaten clean good food, counting every calorie like an obsessed nutter.
As a result I have lost 24lbs a feel so much better. I reckon I have another 6 weeks of this pub free environment and I know I will never get a better chance to have all temptation removed. My new target is a further 12lb loss and that will put me at a weight not seen by me for over 25 years.
You are both right, I need to get off my pity pot and make the most of it :wink: , I do miss my bum gun though, you wouldn't believe how much bog roll I'm getting through :P
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

DaveG wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:43 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:23 pm

You are both right, I need to get off my pity pot and make the most of it :wink: , I do miss my bum gun though, you wouldn't believe how much bog roll I'm getting through :P
It's absolute barbarism. People here just don't know what they are missing.

As a side note, my Vancouver-Manilla-PP flight with Philippines Airlines just cancelled this morning. It was a long shot 2 months ago. So I have a new credit for that route to book at my leisure.
Mexico is still open for business (it never closed)
Cambodia might follow Taiwan's lead and say no tourists until October.
The South American excursion is now a possibility.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic