Advice for Tourists: An Impartial, Unpaid, Non Traffic Building Review: Menu Items from Jungle Burger in Siem Reap

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Advice for Tourists: An Impartial, Unpaid, Non Traffic Building Review: Menu Items from Jungle Burger in Siem Reap

Post by WildA »

Ive only been in the place twice, the owner is a fair enough Kiwi dude and the place is clean and nicely decorated. But since they deliver for free (except for the tip for the driver) and I was stuck at home waiting for the flames of the ChinaFlu to die down, PLUS, as an extra bonus, they remembered my address just from my phone number, I figured wtf, might as well do a menu run as far as my tastes go....

Now as a caveat, there are burgers involved in this mix. 99% of the beef burgers in SE Asia suck in terms of basic burger appropriateness as defined by us burger chomping Yanks, so fellow Americans, keep in mind that the burgers in Jungle Burger may not meet your meat definition of burger qua burger, viz: coarsely hand ground prime round or chuck with on or about 15% fat. Its an Asian burger, more finely ground with lesser quality Antipodean beef. Doesnt mean its bad, its just...well not a real burger.

By the way, service is fast and friendly here. Theyy give you a free drink too, which isnt free, because their prices are a $1 higher than other places, but it makes you feel good about yourself, yeah dude, its free, and is great marketing.

So lets Menu explore:

1. Fish and Chips: Da Bomb. Perfect batter, not excessivelly floury, holds the correct amount of oil without being greasy. Tastes unsalted, which is OK, salt to taste. The fish is thick, flaky mild and white, apparently fresh from freshwater because it reminds me of Pike, even though I know its some bottom feeder outside the latrines emptying into the Sap. They give you a fat portion and the chips are fine too. This one is a must if you have a yen for fish, reminds me of the old Beer Batter Friday Fish Fries up in the cities of the the Great Lakes. I wouldnt know how it rates to the Sasanachs, but its a good American style one.

2. Steak and Bacon Pie: Da Bomb again. I'll let the originators of this tasty dish debate about the authenticity, but to my jaded palate, its nomnomx5. Nice flaky crust, ample rich filling and big enough to fill the void in my ample belly. Wonderful. Turn down the AC to freezing at about 8pm, order one, smoke a fatty and when it shows up watch snowmachine crashes on YouTube and enjoy your pie on a fake winter day!

3. Pizza: All of the pizzas are yummy, but they are the same crust like a wheat taco shell abortions characteristic of inferior non American pies. I used to think it has to do with the water, but the paper thin crust is apparently beloved by the Euros and the indiotcracy in the USA that apes them. A real pizza crust will bend when you foldd it, not crack like a Water Biscuit. So here,you are getting what purports to be a pizza, and has all the necessary ingredients for life, and is even a pleasing melange of taste and flavours, but isnt a pizza, its just a flatbread with shit on it. I usually get the large meat lovers and eat it for two days. Well worth it, he gives you a decent amount of cheese and the sauce is tasty.

4. The Big Kahuna Burger: Keep in mind my caveat as to burgers. The meat texture is almost like meat loaf, not the coarser falling apart texture it should have. This monstrosity is double everything, read the menu. I can barely finish it and Im a disgusting fatbody. Normally, I can pick up a burger and manage to cram it into my slobbering mouth but this one? Id have to disarticulate my jaw to fit it in. In order to eat it, I have to use a knife and fork or if I dont feel like doing dishese, I just lay it on the table legnthwise, lower my face into it, and start gnawing. Good excersize for trips to X Bar, only skeezy pervs go to Draft. Its quite tasty despite the beef, which is easily cured with a bit of pepper and some sauces. Its a meal for two!

5. The Lamb Burger: I love Lamb Burgers. Try to order a Lamb Burger in the Land of the Free and you get some dried out Greek Patty onioned and spiced to death, or some Hipster Freak hands you a meatball on a mini brioche in the EcoKool Le Cafe (using a foreign language in your non foreign restaraunt name in the US generally means your prices are 100% higher and you dont sell bait or fishing licenses) for $25 and tells you "yeah, its sourced from gay moulton sheep who are massaged everyday in a flower meadow in Golden, Colorado" even though its been frozen on a tramp steamer from Sidney for 6 months.....but I digress, this dudes Lamb Burger here is a CORRECT Lamb Burger, that is, fresh, juicy, perfectly tasting and properly textured Lamb Patty with all sorts of other stuff on it which you can add and subtract as you please. And he doesnt cardboard cook it because of some Health Department advice as to rare burger, hey, Ill take my chances, not like I havent had the squirts before....this Burger is a must! Its the best I have had outside Bad Burger at Sukhumvit Soi 20 in BKK, which is a total killer Lamb Burger too.

6. Cordon Blu: Edible, but nothing special. If you are a Cordon Blu freak, Happy Taco is the place.

7. Chicken Parm: Tasty chicken, but lacking on the sauce amount and all the cheese was stuck to the tinfoil. Lets call that an aberration of delivery, and if I get ambitious enough to travel the 600 meters over there, Ill order it again because I read Chicken Parm is the National Dish of NZ, even though I read that on CNN and I question whether their travel advice is as fake as their whole network, but anyway, if it is, it would be strange because my Mom made excellent chicken parm, altho thats all she could make. So Ill try it again.

So in summary, this place is well worth a trip. Im told the pastas are good too.

Enjoy your meals children. More real, unvarnished, unpaid for reviews to follow when I feel like it.

Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Advice for Tourists: An Impartial, Unpaid, Non Traffic Building Review: Menu Items from Jungle Burger in Siem Reap

Post by phuketrichard »

nice review,
next time add prices and location
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Advice for Tourists: An Impartial, Unpaid, Non Traffic Building Review: Menu Items from Jungle Burger in Siem Reap

Post by WildA »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:55 am nice review,
next time add prices and location
Its in Siem Reap like the title says, look it up.

You generally wont get pricing out of me because its all affordable. If I think its too spendy for what ya get, Ill let ya know.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic