The companion thread to ‘Travel availability....’

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The companion thread to ‘Travel availability....’

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:44 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:56 pm I found a company in central London that will get results in max 48 hours and will accept personal delivery of sample to cut out the postage time, results by email from proper UK doctor. Details are in UK news in ROW section. Can you escape your hotel room and get to central London?
I used the testing station service. Tested at 14:30 on Tuesday. Results between 24 and 72hrs, had email and text message results 9am Thursday. 43hrs. It’s a generally unpleasant process, resulting in gagging and watering eyes. Girl administering was pretty (from the face mask up.)
But all clear, so that’s good.

When in the UK, I’m normally on the south coast. London is an awkward option. Actually, London is just awkward. I try to spend as little time there as possible.
At work, I’m usually in a hotel in Liège (at the airport), Paris-CDG (at the airport) or Marseille (at the bloody airport). :facepalm: Oh the glamour.
Can I just clarify with you, your test is an NHS test and you get an official NHS result in an email you can print out?

That seems to me the only type that can be relied on to satisfy the 'competent health authorities' test. I'm not convinced a private laboratory will suffice.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 pm
Can I just clarify with you, your test is an NHS test and you get an official NHS result in an email you can print out?
Yes, it is.
But there may be restrictions. i.e. Key/Essential workers, and associated family members if living in the same household.

I hesitate to suggest- but NHS/Gubbinsment/Private lab are going to provide a valid certificate.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Doc67 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:44 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:56 pm I found a company in central London that will get results in max 48 hours and will accept personal delivery of sample to cut out the postage time, results by email from proper UK doctor. Details are in UK news in ROW section. Can you escape your hotel room and get to central London?
I used the testing station service. Tested at 14:30 on Tuesday. Results between 24 and 72hrs, had email and text message results 9am Thursday. 43hrs. It’s a generally unpleasant process, resulting in gagging and watering eyes. Girl administering was pretty (from the face mask up.)
But all clear, so that’s good.

When in the UK, I’m normally on the south coast. London is an awkward option. Actually, London is just awkward. I try to spend as little time there as possible.
At work, I’m usually in a hotel in Liège (at the airport), Paris-CDG (at the airport) or Marseille (at the bloody airport). :facepalm: Oh the glamour.

That seems to me the only type that can be relied on to satisfy the 'competent health authorities' test. I'm not convinced a private laboratory will suffice.
Any thoughts as to whether a letter from my Primary Care Physician and the test results will work?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Post by Freightdog »

With various noises regarding limited airlines and networks opening up, Emirates have just dropped an email in my inbox. Limited network. Very. I imagine that there will be a lot of lobbying and pressure where airlines face losing long term/core customers to other carriers if they don’t go first.
In aviation, we are often reminded of the hazards of commercial pressure over safety.

Whatever happens, I think it may be a miserable travel experience.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic