If you had $1000 to invest....

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: If you had $1000 to invest....

Post by explorer »

A bit more about Interactive Brokers.

For people who want to actively trade, that is buy and sell shares often, Interactive Brokers is less expensive. It is also less expensive for people with a large amount of money to trade with.

For Australians with a relatively small amount of money, who want to buy shares and hold them for some time before selling, the inactivity fees with Interactive Brokers would normally make them more expensive.

People wanting to try trading for the first time, with a relatively small amount of money, may not know how often they are likely to trade, until they have had some experience trading. So they are better off starting with a broker than does not charge inactivity fees. After trading for some time, they can then decide if they want to open an account with Interactive Brokers.

You still should have a reasonable amount of money to begin with. I will let people decide for themselves how much that is.

Interactive Brokers does provide a lot more trading information than many other brokers, but in Australia there is a fee for displaying the live share prices.

The charges for US shares are different from Australian shares.

With Interactive Brokers you can trade shares all around the world.

You can also open an account with Interactive Brokers in many countries.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

simon43 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm You can invest it in the education of those who can't afford education...

When I lived in Myanmar, $1,000 would buy 1,000 copies of bilingual (English/Myanmarsa) picture story books. I used to buy 200 at a time (20 different story titles), direct from the publisher, split them up into batches of the 20 different titles, then send them by bus to orphanages and poor primary schools throughout the country. Some of these schools are absolutely in the back of beyond and receive no funding or donations of any sort...

School books are no doubt also cheap in Cambodia :)
I have mentioned in other posts, I assist students from poor Cambodian families get a university education.

If I make money trading shares, I can have more money to assist more students.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:10 pm Ok so part two of my question.

What would you do if you had ten grand to invest?
producing and/or selling over sized bra in your own design in Cambodia? if your are successful you double your money in one year..if not you have enough bra´s for the rest of your life.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Dang, you guys are saints. Seriously. Call me jaded, but to be honest, the last thing I want to do is pay for stuff some of the kleptomaniacs in power in these parts of the world should be providing their own citizens. I pay enough in taxes as it is, and foreign donors have given billions over the years. Walk into any ministry and you'll see "someone's" daughter showing up at 10:30 and doing fuck all, expensive cars outside, bribes left and right, conflict of interest and so on. I'm sure the Okhnas can poney up a bit of cash from their offshore accounts to help their fellow citizens. I tend to just frequent small local businesses, use the services of the old cyclo drivers now and then and overpay, employ local villagers in the countryside business, stuff like that.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:35 am Good story KK and sorry it turned out that way. It does seem like you made some money on the one, so it was 50-50. Maybe you didn't do your due diligence on the second one, or out too much trust in her. Not trying to blame you or question your business acumen, I've never done this myself. It appears you went the "loan" route, whereas I think going partnership would be better. I would have lowered the $50/day to something slightly more manageable, then once the initial investment was recouped, a small residual % in the returns as a semi-silent partner. Tiny amount of passive income, but might help them succeed in the initial months.

Again, this seems like it wasn't due to the business failing, but the owner acting in bad faith and neglecting her obligations. Always risky I guess.
It is something I would not recommend (that's what I was pointing out to the OP) Khmer and my own countrymen, both can be good on the story, but also bad on payback of a lone agreement of good faith. It was actually the one owner who gave me all the shit and defaulted payment I was surprised with, because I had done this for her before, with her being honest and paying me in full with interest. This time it was not so, and I have known her as a good friend for going on 3 years.
Quote - It appears you went the "loan" route, whereas I think going partnership would be better. I would have lowered the $50/day to something slightly more manageable.
They were not my terms, but of their terms in offering to myself, I only agreed on that of their offer, being of that I am no money lender, only that of someone helping out. Also the repayments have been proven to be manageable due to both parties doing so, not for one this time, but like I said no problem in the past.
I think going partnership would be that of a minefield, looking of the above alone has an example, one thing to think about is if it all starts to go wrong, you or I would no have any legal rights over a Khmer, just something to think about.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

$1000 USD to invest in the current day... hmm.

Not much to go with. For a decent return on any type of gold, I would be looking at 30 to 50,000 USD.

Gold sounds wise, but with an initial of $1000 your best case, looking to make maybe enough to buy a pool cue in 3 years.

However/// $1000 USD to roll, then we're talking.

[disclaimer, you asked for options, I'm simply stating them. Not going to make a moral stand on the choice you make. That's your call ]

You can roll that to make the initial investment amt.

I'd look at financing micro-loans. Short term - high interest. 3 weeks max. Roll over the returns into multiple micro-loans. Don't finance larger loans.

Good deal would be 10% compounded late payment fee, calculated per week. It works, but harden your heart though.

You'd have enough to pay your comms on the "agents" and roll back in.

Keep doing this until you hit 50k. Then buy gold, crude or copper, and wait.

Another option is to finance a future Zuckerberg who's not in college yet.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

has anyone used the 'bitcoin Cambodia' as advertised on this forum?

tried accessing it, but seems to have no life , any views?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

God'sGift wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 pm has anyone used the 'bitcoin Cambodia' as advertised on this forum?

tried accessing it, but seems to have no life , any views?
You need to register before you can buy/sell?

https://bitcoincambodia.com/
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

sure, done that - but still no life
ie. 'account not approved by moderator yet' - how long to get that done?
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

God'sGift wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:55 pm sure, done that - but still no life
ie. 'account not approved by moderator yet' - how long to get that done?
might be better off using localbitcoins or paxfull
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic