The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in sihanoukville, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by AndyKK » Mon May 11, 2020 4:46 pm

You know how it is, getting peckish, the flavour of the spices, taste buds working alone, watering and tingling feeling in the mouth, with tongue self voluntarily moving up and down, side to side with an occasional lick of the lips, no its not oral sex, just a crazed curry addict.
I was soon on the moto riding into the city via Preah Norodom Blvd towards Independence Monument.

I have never seen the roads as quiet. I had a deadline of 12 the midnight hour, looking out for now the 24 hour traffic cops, so not too fast, just steady away. I enjoy riding the bike that way when possible, with a constant speed, very little or no braking, just using the throttle and gears, slowing enough to flick smoothly into the corners, made easier by being able to use much of the road and getting the bike down in the right and left flicks of the turns, now knowing many of the bumps and ruts of the roads, the smoothness feels right, but looking for the sand spilt from trucks coming and going from new construction sites, and of course the odd pedestrians, or drunk wandering along the roads gutter, the dogs loitering with intent of doing the bikers harm, or dashing from the shadows into the path of the bike, unfortunately at that wrong moment for both concerned. Right turn and left I was passing the Royal Palace.

Soon, parked up outside the Indian Punjabi kitchen restaurant once again, it was 11.50pm. Now was to see how good they were! The waiter said the kitchen closed 10 minutes earlier, but please take a seat while I just see the chef, soon he was jotting down my take-away order.

Mutton Biryani

Chicken Curry

Soon back home and food on the table accompanied with two Roti I was delighted.
Dream time.
"I am built from every mistake I have made". "Silence is the best reply to a fool".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK » Thu May 14, 2020 8:20 pm

Last night the evening started with a run up to the market at Chbar Ampouv market, how its changed recently, I suppose being the effects of Covid19, before the eating areas were so busy, today they are not a fraction of there former establishments. I don't like the idea of sitting in the area too long these days. I dropped off my partner and went back under the bridge and too a 24 hour mart with aircon and free Wifi and grabbed a beer. It was not long she got out the tuk-tuk with her Khmer evening meal and joined me.

The traffic cops were busy just behind us on Highway 1. But in general the streets are very quiet.

I was now feeling peckish so we had a ride to the Swagat Indian Restaurant Street 278 my order was of Pepper Chicken Masala, Basmati rice and Nan bread.

I don't know why but I was thinking Kampot pepper, wow the first mouthful was very hot and spicy.
"I am built from every mistake I have made". "Silence is the best reply to a fool".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Classic Cambodian wiring...

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK » Thu May 14, 2020 8:42 pm

Doc67 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:28 pm
Classic Cambodian wiring...

Yes the cops have you every time :facepalm:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK » Thu May 21, 2020 9:49 am

I have been back to the Indian Punjabi kitchen restaurant a few times now, eat in and take away, it is actually a good place for the food, and the owner and staff are pleasant.

My overall favoured place is a little out of the city, actually being in Kampot, Masala Twist Indian Halal Restaurant. The mutton vindaloo is worth the 150km trip alone.

Anyway it's not to be at the moment, so last night just knocked my own together, simple potato curry and jeera rice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic