Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh in January 2020

Post by Marty »

Glad to hear you are doing fine Jamesalexander. But remember: Respect your elders. Both here on CEO and in real life.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

JamesAlexander89 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:29 am Hey everyone it's me again. I have been in Phnom Penh for just under a month now and I have two jobs. One teaching english at a great international school and another working at a bar at night for minimal hours just to stay busy. Have a great group of local and expat friends who do sports and other activities and I love this city so far.

I feel sorry for all the negative low motivation people that have commented on this post and previous posts in a negative way. It truely sucks to be you I hope your life gets better 😞

Anyway for all the positive people that have commented thanks for you support it kept me going when I was seriously doubting myself due to the miserable ones that seem to always have something bad to say.

Wish you all the best 💪🏼
Great to hear James. I may be holidaying back in PP soon. I'll drop you a PM (along with other CEO contributors), would be happy to knock back a couple of schooners and talk about the good things, and laugh about the not so good things... Congrats on your move. Enjoy!!!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

JamesAlexander89 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:29 am Hey everyone it's me again. I have been in Phnom Penh for just under a month now and I have two jobs. One teaching english at a great international school and another working at a bar at night for minimal hours just to stay busy. Have a great group of local and expat friends who do sports and other activities and I love this city so far.

I feel sorry for all the negative low motivation people that have commented on this post and previous posts in a negative way. It truely sucks to be you I hope your life gets better 😞

Anyway for all the positive people that have commented thanks for you support it kept me going when I was seriously doubting myself due to the miserable ones that seem to always have something bad to say.

Wish you all the best 💪🏼
Wait till you have been here 6 months and give us an update
Inzman
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Inzman »

A lot of good advice here.you might consider committing a year to check it out, don’t burn bridges back home. ;)
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JamesAlexander89 »

Yerg wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:31 am

Wish you all the best 💪🏼
Great to hear James. I may be holidaying back in PP soon. I'll drop you a PM (along with other CEO contributors), would be happy to knock back a couple of schooners and talk about the good things, and laugh about the not so good things... Congrats on your move. Enjoy!!!
hey thanks man i appreciate it. you are one of the rare ones that respond in a positive or as least normal/casual way. super late response but yea i am doing great here i would totally meet up for a pint or 5! lemme know!
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JamesAlexander89 »

Inzman wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:01 pm A lot of good advice here.you might consider committing a year to check it out, don’t burn bridges back home. ;)
yes i did sign a year contract with my school and also have a job on the side too. teaching online now so thankfully i picked a school that didnt just fire their staff when corona hit. i dont know man the bridges back home in the states look burned on their own right now lol. thanks for the positive reply i appreciate it.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

All this do 6 months in Cambodia and 6 months in USA is for pussies. And the salary is so low is moot. You can live off very little in se asia. It just depends what type of person you are and what you expect in terms of standards of living. If you can deal with a room, a mattress and a fan and only eat local you need to earn about $300 a month. But you will earn much more than that anyway.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic