Cheap cat food in phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cheap cat food in phnom Penh?

Post by Electric Earth »

Pedroviera wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:07 amyou say same low price "anywhere you've been". Where is that place in phnom Penh? We pay 15usd a bag hard food (foreign) small bag. Hoping find local brand if there is such a thing.... Ya your right I believe he eat Any (even cheap) hard food. He won't eat soft or table scraps
Damn. I hope someone does have a suggestion. I don't live in Phnom Penh and I don't think I've heard of such pricing anywhere before. Crazy.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

I saw a truck delivering load of caged rats the other day. I estimate 500 rats. Hopefully ricefield rats. Probably heading to a rat BBQ spot around town. If you could find a source of cheap rat meat, it'll be a win-win for you and your cat.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Pedroviera wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:07 am
Electric Earth wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:35 am Are you looking to feed it dry food(I assume so?) or wet food? Dry food should be pretty cheap. I'm not really sure of the markets you mentioned, but it's generally about the same low price anywhere I've been. Get a big bag. Dog food might be cheaper, but may well be fine to the cat. I had a cat when I was a kid who would choose the dog's food over the cat food. Check prices. Get a small bag first to try it out and make sure the cat will eat it.

If you're talking wet food, that is indeed a spoiled cat. Based on the price of cat food here, you really might be better off just feeding it some of your leftovers. Fish or ground pork are probably cheaper per kg than canned cat food here. It'll be the luckiest cat in Asia...
Captain Bonez wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:57 am Spoiled cat won't eat cheap shit food so you're looking to buy more cheap shit food?
Well he said it won't eat rice and beans. Doesn't mean it won't eat cheap Cat food.
you say same low price "anywhere you've been". Where is that place in phnom Penh? We pay 15usd a bag hard food (foreign) small bag. Hoping find local brand if there is such a thing.... Ya your right I believe he eat Any (even cheap) hard food. He won't eat soft or table scraps
I believe I've seen locally produced food around at small shops along the road. It's obviously dry cat food in a clear bag with no label. You can ask around for it, in Khmer it would be "chumnai chmar/chmah"

But as one person noted even the big brand may be hard on the cat's kidney. I had one cat die of a kidney infection the vet could not cure. Likely cause- cat food from Lucky supermarket.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

[Mod edit: off topic]
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:41 pm
Pedroviera wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:07 am
Electric Earth wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:35 am Are you looking to feed it dry food(I assume so?) or wet food? Dry food should be pretty cheap. I'm not really sure of the markets you mentioned, but it's generally about the same low price anywhere I've been. Get a big bag. Dog food might be cheaper, but may well be fine to the cat. I had a cat when I was a kid who would choose the dog's food over the cat food. Check prices. Get a small bag first to try it out and make sure the cat will eat it.

If you're talking wet food, that is indeed a spoiled cat. Based on the price of cat food here, you really might be better off just feeding it some of your leftovers. Fish or ground pork are probably cheaper per kg than canned cat food here. It'll be the luckiest cat in Asia...
Captain Bonez wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:57 am Spoiled cat won't eat cheap shit food so you're looking to buy more cheap shit food?
Well he said it won't eat rice and beans. Doesn't mean it won't eat cheap Cat food.
you say same low price "anywhere you've been". Where is that place in phnom Penh? We pay 15usd a bag hard food (foreign) small bag. Hoping find local brand if there is such a thing.... Ya your right I believe he eat Any (even cheap) hard food. He won't eat soft or table scraps
I believe I've seen locally produced food around at small shops along the road. It's obviously dry cat food in a clear bag with no label. You can ask around for it, in Khmer it would be "chumnai chmar/chmah"

But as one person noted even the big brand may be hard on the cat's kidney. I had one cat die of a kidney infection the vet could not cure. Likely cause- cat food from Lucky supermarket.
Worth a look, thanks for the tip on the food. I'll post a location if found for the next poor bastard. Good to know it exists
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic