Police Traffic Controls...Do as I say not as I do!

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
paul.smith
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Police Traffic Controls...Do as I say not as I do!

Post by paul.smith »

Why this policeman is not sacked is beyond me, as he would be in any other police force around the world. Another Cambodian Policeman getting away with breaking the law at a time where so much focus is on safe and legal driving!

Kampong Thom police officer suspended over drunk driving
Khuon Narim / Khmer Times Share:

Colonel Rom Sovichea, bureau chief of traffic police in Kampong Thom province. Supplied
A Traffic Police officer in Kampong Thom province has had his job suspended after driving under the influence of alcohol causing damage to state property and insulting a superior, officials said.

According to a letter signed by National Police chief General Neth Savoeun, he decided to suspend temporarily Colonel Rom Sovichea, bureau chief of traffic police in Kampong Thom province.
“Col Rom Sovichea has to show up at working hours at provincial personnel bureau to wait for a new decision,” Gen Savoeun said in the letter.
Sok Lou, provincial governor, said today the accident happened on Friday about 9:30 pm after he left from the party.

He said that Col Sovichea was driving under alcohol influence and hit a barrier of a statue roundabout in Stung Sen city.
“It is not right he was law enforcement officer that he was driving under alcohol influence to damage state property, including to insult on me,” Mr Lou said.
He called on law enforcement officials to carry out their duties according to the law in the Kingdom and not to break the law as Col Sovichea.