Legally, what happens to children in Cambodia if both parents die?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
JonnyBeeGee
Tourist
Lithuania

Legally, what happens to children in Cambodia if both parents die?

Post by JonnyBeeGee »

Hi Cambodian Expats,

A bit somber of a question here.

I'm looking to find out exactly how the law works in Cambodia when both parents of a child pass away in the absence of a legal will specifying care arrangements for the child.

As wills and estate planning seem to be financially out of reach for most of society here, is there a legal norm for what happens to children in the situation I described above?

I would assume that the law allows for remaining family members to decide what the future care arrangements are for the child, but would like to hear about any experiences/knowledge that others have had.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Legally, what happens to children in Cambodia if both parents die?

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Normally children under such circumstances are simply taken in by a very near relative and become part of that family. It is a system that works very well and to the benefit of all concerned.

I am sponsoring the education and general well being of an 11 year old orphan female at Kratie and she has been brought up since age five months by her grandparents and, in loco parentis, will inherit the family home in due course.

OML
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic