Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

May 15, 2020
A misunderstanding at the Thai border
Thai authorities yesterday prevented Cambodia from putting up an additional tent and set up a machine for scanning COVID-19 to check the health of migrant workers crossing the border at O’Smach international checkpoint.

Oddar Meanchey provincial governor Pen Kosal said yesterday Thai authorities came over after seeing a working group set up a tent with equipment close to the borders between the two countries.

“We set up a tent and a machine to scan temperatures of workers about two metres from the border,” he said.

“After we explained we will remove it with the improvement of the COVID-19 situation, they agreed and left,” Mr. Kosal said. Thailand still has its borders shut to travellers, but it allows goods to be transported into the country.

Klork Hout, chief of the provincial health department, said yesterday an argument ensued when the Thai authorities demanded the tent be demolished.

Mr Hout said a new tent measuring three by five metres was set up on Wednesday to scan the temperatures of migrant workers crossing the border.

“They also wanted to ban entry of vehicles transporting goods from Cambodia to Thailand, but after negotiating with our border police chief of O’Smach checkpoint, they relented and allowed the continuation of vehicles going across with goods,” he said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50723267/a ... ai-border/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

i hear some restaurants on 172 will be opening or extending hours soon
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50723714/p ... -closures/

NOVEMBER!

This is going to be the final nail in the coffin for a huge number of private schools if they keep schools closed til November.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Let's hope they open sooner for the students benefit. If not then it will be a good opportunity to open your own small school in November. Rent will be almost nothing and all three big schools will be kaput.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Dunderhead wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:34 pm and all three big schools will be kaput.
I highly doubt that.

I'd imagine that they have pretty well orchestrated and robust distance learning programs going.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

5 more months of distance learning will mean permanent distance learning.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

i suspect some big schools have quite deep financial backing
and i think many fees are paid by parents' employers anyway

but it will be interesting to see re-enrollment figures generally
distance learning is simply not worth the rates some schools charge

monstra mihi bona!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

IraHayes wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:24 pm https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50723714/p ... -closures/

NOVEMBER!
This is going to be the final nail in the coffin for a huge number of private schools if they keep schools closed til November.

CEO News: A reminder that it has not been confirmed anywhere OFFICIALLY that schools will remain closed until November.
The link above (from the not so reliable KT) says: "Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron had sent a letter to Mr HE on Tuesday to request that schools should reopen no later than November."
It goes on to say that the PM has agreed to "delay the school opening date". That is all. No date has been given, or even suggested so far, except "before November".

If anyone sees official prakas on dates for reopening schools, or firm definite information from a school on their projected reopening date, please post here.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:33 pm
IraHayes wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:24 pm https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50723714/p ... -closures/

NOVEMBER!

CEO News: A reminder that it has not been confirmed anywhere OFFICIALLY that schools will remain closed until November.
The link above (from the not so reliable KT) says: "Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron had sent a letter to Mr HE on Tuesday to request that schools should reopen no later than November."
It goes on to say that the PM has agreed to "delay the school opening date". That is all. No date has been given, or even suggested so far, except "before November".

If anyone sees official prakas on dates for reopening schools, or firm definite information from a school on their projected reopening date, please post here.
Prepare for the worst... which we can now assume is November... and hope for the best... which as you say could be anytime between now and November.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:33 pm If anyone sees official prakas on dates for reopening schools, or firm definite information from a school on their projected reopening date, please post here.
Official documents or definite information in writing to the public, no, but the school I was at is planning on not re-opening until the start of the Fall term. I have a couple teacher friends from other schools and their schools are planning the same. If my previous principal, who has been to meetings at the Ministry of Education office, said don't count on opening again, and decided to invest a lot of money into getting a long term online learning program started, I'd bet they're right. I hope we're all wrong, but I doubt it.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic