Is it dangerous for white people outside of a main road?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Is it dangerous for white people outside of a main road?

Post by BR549 »

You can run into shit anywhere on the planet.
I have spent time in remote places all over the world and generally find that country people are very friendly. ...It helps to have a local with you for sure.
If you stumble upon an iced up lunatic who thinks you are an easy mark...you may be sorry.
But, that can happen anywhere.
Back where I am from there are places you simply do not go fuck around at and buying a place and moving in without some family ties would be asking for shit.
I would feel perfectly fine buying land and moving to Kampong Cham near my wife's village..I have friends there and her extended family and I know the police.
But, I would be hesitant in doing that in other areas.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:54 pm The most dangerous place to live in rural Cambodia is nearby in laws who have a grudge (known or otherwise) against you.

Google the case of Laurent Vallier
Jerry mentions a very good point here with the girls family, depends on many things, most will think you are a very rich man with bottomless pockets. don't give them chance, also much will depend on your partner being strong on your behalf, difficult at times for her having the responsibility to the family, I would say take notice of other male partners in the family and see if your treated differently. Distant family too who will come visiting when they get news of you, friends and neighbours can be an influence good or bad.
I once had a neighbour who asked if I would refrain from putting barbed wire on my fence, I was not going to put such wire on anyway. But when I was putting the roof on the house, he was standing very proud telling people that Barrang can't put roofs on without them leaking. The roof did not leak, he became raged, a different person, he purposely drove his cattle through my fence damaging that and my irrigation pipes. I had in that instance a jealous neighbour who did have an influence on others, more too was to follow, you will notice being remote many nearby are that of relations, family, you can't fight them. Although I did have friends in the area, but they would stop coming to visit.
In the end the people would not sell me things local, and I got fed up with riding two hours and back to pick up necessities, so one day I rode away not too return. I was lucky my investment was very small. land clearance with tractor and driver $20, land price was 3000reil per m2. two buildings, house and storeroom kitchen $300. Could have been in all equivalent to a months house rental in the city.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

explorer wrote:To understand reality, you need to listen to the Cambodian people. They are giving you good advice for your own safety.

If you believe your guess is true, and what the Cambodian people say can't be true, you are living in fantasy land.

To the people on this forum, who understand reality, please speak up more before the op gets killed.
Yes, so many foreigners I know have been killed in cold blood by countryside farmers. It's crazy how often it happens.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 pm
explorer wrote:To understand reality, you need to listen to the Cambodian people. They are giving you good advice for your own safety.

If you believe your guess is true, and what the Cambodian people say can't be true, you are living in fantasy land.

To the people on this forum, who understand reality, please speak up more before the op gets killed.
Yes, so many foreigners I know have been killed in cold blood by countryside farmers. It's crazy how often it happens.
Yep happens every day that cold blooded farmer dudes kill white people out there. Really crazy. And if that aint bad enough as soon as you get off a main road ya gotta worry about land mines and UXO. Stay away. But if ya feel ya gotta get off a main road, be armed with a meat cleaver and a metal detector.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic