Question about a possible culturally-relevant phrase in Khmer

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
amejia
Tourist
Mexico

Question about a possible culturally-relevant phrase in Khmer

Post by amejia »

I am currently helping out on a research project looking at the effects of gardening on emotional health. My team has discovered we have around 10 Khmer speakers who wish to participate in our study. Knowing that, I am going to hire not only an interpreter but a translator to work on the survey. However, there is an expression in one of the survey questions that will not make sense if translated. The expression, in English and the original language of the survey (not English), is "man is a wolf to man", which is like saying humans will hurt other humans. Is there a phrase or expression in Khmer that might embody the spirit of this phrase?

I have emailed others as well but was curious to hear this board's response.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Question about a possible culturally-relevant phrase in Khmer

Post by pissontheroof »

amejia wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:05 am I am currently helping out on a research project looking at the effects of gardening on emotional health. My team has discovered we have around 10 Khmer speakers who wish to participate in our study. Knowing that, I am going to hire not only an interpreter but a translator to work on the survey. However, there is an expression in one of the survey questions that will not make sense if translated. The expression, in English and the original language of the survey (not English), is "man is a wolf to man", which is like saying humans will hurt other humans. Is there a phrase or expression in Khmer that might embody the spirit of this phrase?

I have emailed others as well but was curious to hear this board's response.
Try “ dog eat dog “
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic