Farmer Drives Tractor Over UXO

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Farmer Drives Tractor Over UXO

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Oddar Meanchey): On May 13, 2020, a 34-year-old man, Yang Chanthol, a tractor driver, died after driving a tractor over a mine that caused the explosion in Prey Saak area, which was 700 meters away from Tameng village, Anlong Veng district, Oddar Meanchey.

The local people said the victim had been to plow at cashew farm, the accident scene, many times, but he had never had an accident or seen a mine. On that day, the victim was driving a tractor, plowing in between cashew trees, and it was raining. Suddenly, the tractor was driven over a mine that caused the explosion. The victim died immediately at the scene, and the tractor was damaged.
After the incident, the police examined the scene and returned the body to his family for funeral preparation. RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Farmer Drives Tractor Over UXO

Post by Marty »

Either a huge explosion or a flimsy tractor. Or both. RIP
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

So which one was it? A mine or unexploded ordinance? Not likely we’ll ever know.
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

Marty wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:00 am Either a huge explosion or a flimsy tractor. Or both. RIP
Looks like a pretty huge explosion, look at the size of that crater. The tractor was flung at least several metres.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

I hope he didn't suffer and it was instant. RIP.
Marty wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:00 am Either a huge explosion or a flimsy tractor. Or both. RIP
Man- look at that cavity in the ground! I didn't think a land mine would cause that deep of a hole.

That was one hell of an explosion! Anyone in the know (No movie aficionados, please)- could he have detonated an air ordinance that failed to go off during the Vietnam war?

It's strange to me that he worked that piece of land many times without instance. It makes me think of the possibility of kids playing and finding something like this. And then leaving it out exposed.
Still here, in country...
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

When the ground gets wet stuff can move round in it. Tree roots can also move or wedge mines in position which make them more liable to be triggered.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

It could be a bomb or it could be an anti-tank mine.
A truck/bus ran over an anti-tank mine here about 15 years ago on a well used country road. Killed about 20 from memory.
And yes, as Blurnose says above ^^^ it was in the rainy season when stuff gets uncovered or moved aound.

Update -
It was 14 people, in 2010
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-11772122
Lots more anti-tank multiple deaths when you star googling.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic