Alcohol ban to be lifted Sunday — with limits

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Alcohol ban to be lifted Sunday — with limits

Post by rexwell »

Good news Yong.
Another Thai government flip -flop.

Sales of alcoholic beverages will be allowed again from Sunday but people will only be able to drink at home and not in restaurants when they reopen, the government said on Friday.
https://pattayaone.news/alcohol-ban-to- ... th-limits/
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Alcohol ban to be lifted Sunday — with limits

Post by fazur »

thailand, land of clowns
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

That's funny how they ban alcohol over there but here there's bars delivering liters of beer to your front door with a smile
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

rexwell wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:29 pm Good news Yong.
Another Thai government flip -flop.

Sales of alcoholic beverages will be allowed again from Sunday but people will only be able to drink at home and not in restaurants when they reopen, the government said on Friday.
https://pattayaone.news/alcohol-ban-to- ... th-limits/
This is indeed good news for me as I do not need to behave like a thief buying illegally. It’s open season, I’m ready.

Thanks for the good news.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Here's something I just found out reading a Bangkok Post story. The lifting of the ban is on a 14-day trial. Huh? When was this vital detail announced? Probably missed earlier by the various reporters.
The ban was lifted in most provinces including Bangkok on Sunday, which marked the first of a 14-day trial period for resuming alcohol sales.

Of the 690 curfew violators, 129 were also involved in social drinking gatherings prohibited under the emergency decree, said the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) spokesman Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin,

The other types of misconduct associated with curfew violation were gambling and illicit drug use, he said.

"The country won't be able to succeed in [containing Covid-19] without cooperation from everyone.

"Only when it is certain the country is totally free of the virus will we be able to live a normal life again," he said.

"The 14-day trial will be crucial. It will give the government a clear idea whether other Covid-19 restrictions should be eased, or whether we go back to square one.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ban-threat
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:08 am Here's something I just found out reading a Bangkok Post story. The lifting of the ban is on a 14-day trial. Huh? When was this vital detail announced? Probably missed earlier by the various reporters.
The ban was lifted in most provinces including Bangkok on Sunday, which marked the first of a 14-day trial period for resuming alcohol sales.

Of the 690 curfew violators, 129 were also involved in social drinking gatherings prohibited under the emergency decree, said the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) spokesman Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin,

The other types of misconduct associated with curfew violation were gambling and illicit drug use, he said.

"The country won't be able to succeed in [containing Covid-19] without cooperation from everyone.

"Only when it is certain the country is totally free of the virus will we be able to live a normal life again," he said.

"The 14-day trial will be crucial. It will give the government a clear idea whether other Covid-19 restrictions should be eased, or whether we go back to square one.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ban-threat
That seems to gel what I heard when out with friends today, the 2 restaurant bars we went to the owners of both venues told us they'd had indications they would be allowed to serve alcohol again starting next weekend.

I'll be happy if they can as my 2 regular drinking venues fall under that category, looking around Jomtien and Pattaya today I don't think maintaining social distancing is going to be an issue, attracting any sort of viable volume of customers is going to be the problem. Ghost town doesn't even come close, really spooky vibe.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Well some owners improvised like what I was enjoying yesterday lunch 5 bottles of Amarone.

You can check there rest of the photos here

thailand-news-and-discussion/land-smile ... ml#p420530
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic