Tourists Arrested for Swimming at Thai Beach

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tourists Arrested for Swimming at Thai Beach

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Foreigners arrested for swimming at closed Pattaya beaches – VIDEO
Jack Burton
Published 20 hours ago on 09-05-2020

Police in Pattaya arrested 3 foreigners who were violating public orders to stay off of public beaches at around noon today, at the back of a hotel in the province’s Pratumnak area. Pattaya City police officers told reporters they issued several soft warnings to the foreigners while they were in the water, but they refused to stop swimming and simply ignored the warnings.

Authorities say that after the foreigners refused to obey their warnings they decided to arrest them. Their nationality and names were not released.
All three were were taken to the Pattaya City Police Station for further legal action.. Under strict Emergency Decree laws, meant to control the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus, they face up to a year in jail and/or a fine up to 100,000 baht.
All Pattaya area beaches have numerous signs and tape to clearly state they are closed. Officials have said the closures are primarily to discourage travel by people from other provinces until the coronavirus situation in Thailand is resolved.
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/fore ... ches-video
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Tourists Arrested for Swimming at Thai Beach

Post by mannanman »

Jeez. Yea hat chick has some serious thighs on her. I wonder if she’s their personal trainer?
People of the world, spice up your life.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

:please: Not withstanding the signs and assuming they may've not noticed them, I'd damn well come out of the water if the cops were giving soft warnings like that.. Arrogant foreigners :facepalm:
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Damn stupid rules
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:28 pm Damn stupid rules
agree;
they had similar rules in phuket back than and i ignored them daily.
dam, beach was empty, sea was empty, how did my swimming spread the virus?

local police i knew asked me why i was swimming and i told him stupid law, and he agreed with a smile :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:07 pm :please: Not withstanding the signs and assuming they may've not noticed them, I'd damn well come out of the water if the cops were giving soft warnings like that.. Arrogant foreigners :facepalm:
That all depends on which one of those uniforms was the cops in question.
Obviously, I don’t know the whole situation, but if it was two fellas in orange shirts, looking like lifeguards, and if their English was up to the normal standard (sometimes barely intelligible), I might take their words with a pinch of salt.

But then, I couldn’t get near a South East Asian beach a year and a half ago.

Silly tourists, and a bit of overkill by a police department with little to do due to lockdown?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Maybe. A reason given in the OP story is:
Officials have said the closures are primarily to discourage travel by people from other provinces until the coronavirus situation in Thailand is resolved.
So that sounds like they don't want locals travelling in groups from the other provinces to come there to further gather in groups on the beaches during covid.

Quite apart from whether one thinks it's a stupid rule or not, the point is that watching the vid it's obvious there are signs around and taped areas to warn people not to use the beach. And evidently the beaches are deserted.

Yet, these tourists as guests in the kingdom want to ignore/disregard the local laws and buck the system. Fine if they want to do that but I have no sympathy for them if they ignore the warnings and they will have to wear the consequences.

The other point to be made is that there are a minority that feel they don't need to follow local rules and expect a concession for them...at the expense of the vast majority that are doing the right thing. Again, fine if they get away with it but they are selfish and show disregard for the community at large IMHO.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Plenty of signage giving information of the rules in force. If they had come out when told to do so they may have got a stern warning, or a less substantial fine.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:26 pm
Maybe. A reason given in the OP story is:
Officials have said the closures are primarily to discourage travel by people from other provinces until the coronavirus situation in Thailand is resolved.
So that sounds like they don't want locals travelling in groups from the other provinces to come there to further gather in groups on the beaches during covid.

Quite apart from whether one thinks it's a stupid rule or not, the point is that watching the vid it's obvious there are signs around and taped areas to warn people not to use the beach. And evidently the beaches are deserted.

Yet, these tourists as guests in the kingdom want to ignore/disregard the local laws and buck the system. Fine if they want to do that but I have no sympathy for them if they ignore the warnings and they will have to wear the consequences.

The other point to be made is that there are a minority that feel they don't need to follow local rules and expect a concession for them...at the expense of the vast majority that are doing the right thing. Again, fine if they get away with it but they are selfish and show disregard for the community at large IMHO.
Yeah, I can read, and did read the OP...

Stupid rule.

Also, I take Thai news reports with a trailer load of salt because: Thainess
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

rule was made to stop people congregating in groups on the beach, Not just those travelling from others provinces, YET always during the whole lockdown, people were allowed mask less to eat in restaurants.

might have been better to place a sign . "NO groups of more than 3 allowed to congregate together on the beach"

yea clutch, i am a selfish sob, so what??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic