Why do expats of Thailand say Cambodia is where to go as a last resort?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Why do expats of Thailand say Cambodia is where to go as a last resort?

Post by glennb6 »

Agarwal.Aditya wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:16 pm
glennb6 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:23 pm
Agarwal.Aditya wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:00 pm Flu scam? You are serious?
Extremely.
Thailand, population ~70M. Currently with CV 161 (0.00023%), currently serious/critical condition is 61 out of the 161, which leaves just 100 sick with CV but not (0.00014%), and in the past four months 55 people have died from or with CV (0.000079%).

Be it sick now, total dead in 4 months, or total sick and recovered over 4 months (3000 which is 0.0042%), none of the numbers are even 1%, nor 1/10th of 1%, nor 1/100th of 1%. The govt has shut the country yet 99.99% of the population was never even sick.

Scam you ask - I'll use the words evil, criminal, gross ignorance and stupidity, and that's for a country's government of which I am not even a citizen. Ask me what I think of CV in the ussa - no don't pls, I don't have the time the rest of today to write.

Cambodia is what, almost 17M population and worldometers.info is showing 2 active cases and 0 deaths BTW.
what can you do if Cambodian and Thailand require foreigners to be vaccinated against virus?
that has certainly crossed my mind, guess the only answer is live elsewhere.
would you get vaxed if it became required?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:24 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:55 am I am drawn to Cambodia because it is real life in the raw. Real life and death hardcore struggle all around everyday - not the TV land existence we live in the west.
Take away the palm trees and Thailand is just another facade of a plastic life.
SternAAlbifrons].
The struggle.
LOL:
go to Africa,
nobody goes to Cambodia for "real life in the raw and death" :please:

thats just pure BS

You go for the same reason many go.
its an easy country to live in, the people are friendly, women are available, easy to get by on less and unlike many countries, you can start up something with little money and have a good life

NOBODY goes anywhere to see real life suffering and dying..

What fucking struggle? :facepalm:
Totally dude. [Mod edit: no need to troll another member]
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

glennb6 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:18 am
Agarwal.Aditya wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:16 pm
glennb6 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:23 pm
Agarwal.Aditya wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:00 pm Flu scam? You are serious?
Extremely.
Thailand, population ~70M. Currently with CV 161 (0.00023%), currently serious/critical condition is 61 out of the 161, which leaves just 100 sick with CV but not (0.00014%), and in the past four months 55 people have died from or with CV (0.000079%).

Be it sick now, total dead in 4 months, or total sick and recovered over 4 months (3000 which is 0.0042%), none of the numbers are even 1%, nor 1/10th of 1%, nor 1/100th of 1%. The govt has shut the country yet 99.99% of the population was never even sick.

Scam you ask - I'll use the words evil, criminal, gross ignorance and stupidity, and that's for a country's government of which I am not even a citizen. Ask me what I think of CV in the ussa - no don't pls, I don't have the time the rest of today to write.

Cambodia is what, almost 17M population and worldometers.info is showing 2 active cases and 0 deaths BTW.
what can you do if Cambodian and Thailand require foreigners to be vaccinated against virus?
that has certainly crossed my mind, guess the only answer is live elsewhere.
would you get vaxed if it became required?
When i started traveling and a yellow fever vaccination was required to go many places in Africa, the middle east and SE Asia, I and everyone that traveled, got them and carried our yellow cards and protected them, like our passports when we traveled.
When a vaccine is available and distributed, (I hope in a year or 2)
I'll get it.

otherwise you stay home
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Pretty sure you technically still need to show a yellow fever vaccination card coming from Africa into Thailand, I always carried mine during my decade working there but I was never asked to produce it at the immigration desk.

Not sure what's particularly hard, raw or edgy living in any of the main locations Cambodian expats base themselves in. Back when I first went 20 years ago I could see why Phnom Penh was so popular with the NGO expats, a cushy lifestyle far removed from the conditions of the local populace. I almost bought then. Since then it's modernised to offer much the same as elsewhere on perhaps a smaller scale. Last time I was in Siem Reap it was more hipster flashpacker than anything. I realise lowly paid Teflers are forced to live in basic conditions but surely that's not a reflection on all that's on offer.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:55 am I am drawn to Cambodia because it is real life in the raw. Real life and death hardcore struggle all around everyday - not the TV land existence we live in the west.
Take away the palm trees and Thailand is just another facade of a plastic life.
I am not looking for comfort and good facilities, i am running away from all that - i am looking for real life.
The struggle.
I don't think that's still true in absolute. Plastic life, as you call it, has well and truly arrived in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap - for those who can afford it. On the other hand, a poor farmer in Surin is not that much better off than a poor farmer across the border in Cambodia. Their struggle is very real, in both countries.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:29 am Pretty sure you technically still need to show a yellow fever vaccination card coming from Africa into Thailand, I always carried mine during my decade working there but I was never asked to produce it at the immigration desk.

Not sure what's particularly hard, raw or edgy living in any of the main locations Cambodian expats base themselves in. Back when I first went 20 years ago I could see why Phnom Penh was so popular with the NGO expats, a cushy lifestyle far removed from the conditions of the local populace. I almost bought then. Since then it's modernised to offer much the same as elsewhere on perhaps a smaller scale. Last time I was in Siem Reap it was more hipster flashpacker than anything. I realise lowly paid Teflers are forced to live in basic conditions but surely that's not a reflection on all that's on offer.
What is hard, raw and edgy living in any of the main locations Cambodian expats are based are the sexually transmitted diseases.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic