Help !!! “Your computer has recovered from a serious error”

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Re: Help !!! “Your computer has recovered from a serious err

Post by MekongMouse »

Backed up HDD plus Linux OS = happiness.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Yap.........all my important stuff is on an external harddrive. I never keep anything on my machines. Also makes it easier to reinstall the operating system. And I agree......Linux is the way to go........over the years I have learned to hate Windows.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Francis wrote:Yap.........all my important stuff is on an external harddrive. I never keep anything on my machines. Also makes it easier to reinstall the operating system. And I agree......Linux is the way to go........over the years I have learned to hate Windows.
Linux is great, for some things. Windows is great for others. I use both but I can see Windows evaporating over time. I can see Android or Chromium (both a fork of Linux) replacing Windows over the next decade on home computers.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Ubuntu's "Rythm Box Music Player" is the best music player I've ever seen........just to give an example. There is no Windows music player that even comes close.

In den Meeren salzig ist
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Francis wrote:Ubuntu's "Rythm Box Music Player" is the best music player I've ever seen........just to give an example. There is no Windows music player that even comes close.
Really? It couldn't even handle the library at Garage without locking up. Quickly went back to Winamp.
Using Tapatalk
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Francis wrote:Ubuntu's "Rythm Box Music Player" is the best music player I've ever seen........just to give an example. There is no Windows music player that even comes close.
Rhythmbox has been bundled with the ubuntu distribution for the last couple of years but it is neither owned nor developed/supported by canonical.

I've not used it (rhythmbox) myself but most consumer apps and software developed for Linux that compete well with Windows alternatives end up getting ported to Windows anyway. There are very few examples that don't.

That said, Transmission, my favorite bit torrent client is still Linux only.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

JBTrain wrote:
Really? It couldn't even handle the library at Garage without locking up. Quickly went back to Winamp.
Yes, that's true. Rythmbox has the tendency to forget songs.......that can be a downside. I'm just talking about the quality of the sound.......

In den Meeren salzig ist
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Digg3r wrote:
Rhythmbox has been bundled with the ubuntu distribution for the last couple of years but it is neither owned nor developed/supported by canonical.

I've not used it (rhythmbox) myself but most consumer apps and software developed for Linux that compete well with Windows alternatives end up getting ported to Windows anyway. There are very few examples that don't.

That said, Transmission, my favorite bit torrent client is still Linux only.
On the Ubuntu forums they say that a program called "Banshee" (for Windows) could be an alternative.......I personally have never tried it out.

In den Meeren salzig ist
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

Francis wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:Honestly most times I see this it's a precursor for a harddrive failure. Get you shit backed up. Sometimes a false alarm and just a 'glitch' but most times it means the drive is beginning to fail.
Exactly this is the case. After I installed Ubuntu it worked another 2 or 3 days and then plop........harddrive gone. I remember a year ago I have had the same problem with another machine. First this strange warning and a couple of days later harddrive failed. Problem is that they sell here these cheap second hand harddrives from Japan. They usually don't last very long.
LxPup...put it on a USB stick and you don't even NEED a hard drive. Comes with browser, etc. Gotta set your bios to check for USB and boot off that first (if not in it'll boot to HD or whatever you have set)
but yeah, backup all the good stuff. But this way you can keep your browser and bookmarks

I like Vuze for torrents and Audacious for music player. I do kinda miss winamp, but audicous or whatever has a winamp skin. For netradio i love Radio Tray or Pmusic on my LXpups.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic