Ringpull redemption fee in PP?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Ringpull redemption fee in PP?

Post by timmydownawell »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:44 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:28 pm
frizzie77 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:57 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:32 pm When you see the people at the stalls counting up all the 'free beer' ringpulls and putting them into batches of 10... it's time consuming and of course they are losing a sale for each can, so I can understand why they charge 500r, otherwise they'd spend half the day handing out free beers for nothing.
Of course they don't "lose a sale". Instead of getting the money from the customer they get the money from the beer company. Or maybe they get free cans to sell, I don't know how exactly the system works. But they're sure as hell not losing anything, otherwise no mom 'n pop shop would participate.
or else they’d just be slinging beers for the sole benefit of the brewery.
I never disputed the 500r fee. Indeed, a handling cost, and I'm OK with that.

However, even without that I highly doubt they would be "losing" anything, as I have to see the first Khmer business owner willingly losing even 100 riel.
I just redeemed some ringpulls with my usual vendor and the Cambodia Beer guy was there with his calculator. I asked my guy if they give him 1:1 replacements for the ringpulls and he told me they exchange 23 for a slab. So for every 23 "free beer" ringpulls he swaps for customers, he makes $2.87 (i.e. 23 x 500r) plus one free can. So yeah they are entirely justified charging the 500r for all the effort in stacking slabs and counting ringpulls IMO. One free beer (50c) for every 23 is not enough for all that effort.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

This is where I find the subject very loaded. From my personal recollections, the exchange fee of 500 riels is reserved for locals, and the general consensus is that ring pulls and the luck they bring are of less value to a foreign entity. I find engagement with the powers of capitalism to be the least sustainable model in the long run. I felt pretty much ripped off today at your average convenience corner store with more than wealthy locals running it, i.e. not skinny. They wanted 1000 riels, and I didn't start a negotiation for the 4 beers. But I'll see what the price of a crate is. Looks like they don't need to host strangers. But in the interest of fighting inflation and general common sense, I'm not going to put the matter aside. Also the people serving were quite rude, overweight. The powers of a well positioned retail store, I suppose. But hey, where to put the line for this price? Is it based on outward appearance? Is it a white skin bias? And what does this tell you about inflation and its impact on a stable society as a whole?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I wouldn't even bother trying to redeem ringpulls in a convenience store.
I felt pretty much ripped off today at your average convenience corner store with more than wealthy locals running it, i.e. not skinny.....Also the people serving were quite rude, overweight.
Is it based on outward appearance?
The fat people are ganging up on you because you iz white bro. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

It's all part of the futile and immature game of status riding, where the system eventually collapses from its own weakness. The stronger competitor will provide the service at the actual market price and end up harming this selfish social process.

I know this has nothing to do with ring pulls, but still the same problem.

Searching on Google

https://aseannow.com/topic/1170976-it’s ... spokesman/

aseannow wrote:The practice of two tier pricing in Thailand sees foreigners, even expats who live and pay tax in Thailand, forced to pay much more than Thais to enter places such as national parks, museums and historical sites.

While some of the reduced entry fees for Thai nationals are the result of government subsidy, many two tier pricing policies are simply in place due to the idea that foreigners can afford to absorb the higher prices and therefore should pay more.

Those against the practice say not only is it discriminatory against foreigners, it is also largely futile as many foreigners are put off by the fact they have to pay more and therefore the overall number of foreigners to visit attractions where two tier pricing is in place is greatly reduced.

This means the attraction doesn’t actually earn any more money and also gives foreigners a negative impression of the tourism industry in Thailand overall.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Usually 500r, 200 or 300r if I'm turning in more than 4 at a time and it's my go to drinkshop
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Darkcel wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:46 pm Usually 500r, 200 or 300r if I'm turning in more than 4 at a time and it's my go to drinkshop
Really, as low as 200? are you getting winnable cans or wedding cans? Seems a good deal, especially considering you win around 10 per case

I pay 500r per can (or 12,000 / $3 per case). whether it is me changing or the other half.

have paid 700 in province but 500r is the standard price

Edit:

just a quick working for the 200r free can

from 1 box you would get 16 cans at 3,200r (assuming a win rate of 10 per box)

therefore purchasing 1 box at $12 would get you 40 cans at ~$13

or 32.5c per can
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic